Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Subaru's STi version of Toyota FT-86 Spied In Testing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Subaru's STi version of Toyota FT-86 Spied In Testing

Just saw a tweet from FT86club

Here's the original post:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735

It's been a long while since we've seen any sightings of Subaru's version of the FT-86. The last time was this video and photo. But this time the Subaru FT-86 has been spotted testing in the US Southwest! And it appears to be the STi version

This test car is still wearing the bizarre bodywork spotted on the previous test mules, but the one main visual difference is the prominent hood bump. Normally that would be to clearance a top-mounted intercooler, or a supercharger, but we're pretty sure we can see a front-mounted intercooler peaking out from the lower fascia opening. This is likely the STI-spec powertrain/chassis mule!

Full set of photos HERE
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

I dk you sure its not an older photo of when they were testing the new STi sedan? The hood buldge looks like just the scoop but with the opening covered.. and the big rear piece of camo is for just that, camoflague or however you spell it. Look through the rear dirver side window you can see right through out the rear windshield so to me if you pop that black back piece off its the new STi sedan. Plus the front bumper vents and headlights to boot. Dont get me wrong I cant figure it all out like the rear doors I cant picture a line for the rear door in that amount of space so it coupe be a coupe chassis.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

looks like a hacked up newer subaru sti , then an FT86
Old Sep 9, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by donmeca2020
looks like a hacked up newer subaru sti , then an FT86
That's because it kinda is, its common for test mules to use current body panels to disguise the car when they are really looking at chassis and powertrain dynamics. And for all we know this could be Toyota's version, they are co-developing the car - it doesn't really matter what body is on it at this point.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

I can't tell if that's photoshopped or not but it's hideous.