Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Regarding Celica vs Evo 7

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2002, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it...looks better than an evo 7 or wrx
Old Jul 17, 2002, 02:51 AM

Thanks B_Tapper
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:05 AM
Evolving Member

I also like your car.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:16 AM

my bad about the carolla mix up
a friend told me that and I really dont care enough to pop the hood of one to even bother checking it, I did some reading up after reading the replies and found I was wrong, I admit it

I personally like the interior or the WRX opposed to the celeca, being able to see out the back is nice

as for your car...

looks really really nice

Nick
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

Now this is a HOT Celica...
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

Can the Celica keep up with this car ANYWHERE on a racetrack except for "long" straightaways?

Because the Evo can
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

A Zonda...crazy stuff.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

That looks like
Old Jul 17, 2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by nyoneway
About the Celica's looks....

People love it a lot more than the current WRX...

And the Evo 7 is the ugliest Evo so far. 6.5 is the nicest.

Anyways, here's a pic of mine. Flame away.

Dude your Celica is one sweet looking car. What kind of mods have you done to it and how much HP you putting out now?

My point was that I don't see too many people actually making their Celica decent here in Cali. All I see is wings and sometimes body kits. That's all. I have yet to see someone take proper time and care to make a great looking car with great performance (like yours). Celica is an an up and coming car, it's just not as publicized as the Evo and WRX. I have no doubt that a tuned Celica could stand up against the Evo/WRX. It's all about preference. I want the Evo because of what it has stock, like most, and the price isn't that bad either. Performance is superb and Mitsu has always been reliable, from what I've seen and heard. Of course the day that we get an actual Evo here in the states (not a Lancer Cedia Turbo), I can't say much then what I already have said.

Welcome to the forums!

EVII
Old Jul 17, 2002, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well.. looks are very subjective... I dont really like the looks of
new Celicas... doesn't matter how much carbon fiber or
fiber glass/plastic you put on it...

Also, I think cars like WRX is a much much better deal than a Celica,
dont you think??? (I think they are similar in price, i might be wrong)
You get a turbo charged Flat-4 (easily tuned for more POWER) and
AWD (easier to get traction)... To me, you're serious about speed,
you get the WRX...

I personally think Celica are kids car... it's for market that just like to
look (or fast as in it's commercial) but not seriously about the actual
performance.... WRX and Lancer EVOs are more respected as serious
hardcore race/rally cars (at least overseas).... Well, i'm sure this is
just my personal opinion...
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NYONEWAY nice car No malicious intentions but I'm sorry the celica is not an up and coming car. It's been around alot longer than either the evo or wrx. And for the money the celica is a great deal, toyota reliability, an interior on par with the RSX, an engine with 100 hp/per liter NA with an 8000rpm redline. However a highly modified celica would not stand a chance to a highly modified evo on a circuit course with driver ability being equal. For one thing high HP in front wheel drive= severe understeer.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 10:46 AM

i think all the evos are dead sexy.

p.s. . . nice ride-
Old Jul 22, 2002, 10:21 PM

NYONEWAY nice car No malicious intentions but I'm sorry the celica is not an up and coming car. It's been around alot longer than either the evo or wrx. And for the money the celica is a great deal, toyota reliability, an interior on par with the RSX, an engine with 100 hp/per liter NA with an 8000rpm redline. However a highly modified celica would not stand a chance to a highly modified evo on a circuit course with driver ability being equal. For one thing high HP in front wheel drive= severe understeer.
i completely agree with you in that this is how everyone thinks, the celica is an underdog.

but that's why there are companies and celica tuners out to prove everyone wrong just as i'm sure a lot of you guys are out to prove something when competing with your EVOs (when you get them).

as for being specific on this issue, the celica was made to be as close to a sports car as an FF format can get, but without giving up creature comforts. the result is a mass production car, that is one notch below Honda's Type R cars, which have the same idea. however the Type R(s) are made for the race track. so toyota designed the celica's sportiness factor to be sporty in a race track kind of way. what's this mean? when you get rid of the creature comforts, and modify the celica for a circuit or a race track, it will come into it's own. nobody really knows what the car is capable of yet, although we got a taste when john hotchkis ran a 56.47 sec lap at buttonwillow compared to a 57.44 for the EVO VII, and the car has only a Hotchkis TVS ( total vehicle suspension system price: $3391.31) and an exhaust. not even an air filter i think. now you don't even need that much money to get that much performance. those are strictly using all hotchkis parts, and a big part of the performance gain was that these parts let the driver change the suspension settinsg a lot more, and tune them to specific tracks, much like real race cars. you could get all the camber plates, links, sway bars, braces, springs, and get a different set of shocks (which cost $2000 almost, a big part of the overall price) and save a ton of money and get almost as good handling. especially considering you can modify a lot of things as you need to. also, high horsepower doesn't necessarily mean understeer, high torque does. that's why these engines are so small in displacement and low on torque, but high on horsepower. they pick up speed and carry it through corners, not have torque pull them out. it's harder to do, and a little trickier, but equally as rewarding.

if you insist that the EVO could better that celica on that track, then you'd need someone with an EVO with a completely reworked suspension, and no engine modifications to go at it. but considering that's gotta be over $30k now while the celica is approaching $26k, you can use the difference to probably get cams, or higher compression pistons, or other n/a tuning on the celica. not only is the suspension for the street, but the engine too, so you gotta eventually change that also.

we have to modify the celica this much because there is no Celica STi, or Celica EVO, or Celica Type R, or Celica Cobra R, or any of that. we only have a base mass produced daily driver celica. i hope you can understand that. toyota doesn't bother with the higher performance trims because it's unlikely to make any money off of it, they release tuning parts through their dealers with TRD.

and for the guys that were acting like the celica is a piece of crap, here's what the celica USED to be, a WRC champion in it's own right, with an engine that is 2.0l, 4 cylinder, and can hold upwards of 350-400hp without changing internals. the only weak point is the chassis and handling, although there are enough modifications out now that you can probably fix that. and to top it off, it's been in the US over a decade ago, is a genuine mass production sport compact, and doesn't have any fancy gizmos to make it a lot cheaper.

http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/celica_vs_bike.ram
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/celica_vs_skyline.avi

(note these are drag races just to show the amount of power that engine is capable of putting out without breaking a sweat)

and as a peace offering:

http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/evo6_vs_impreza.mpg

Last edited by t2000gts; Jul 22, 2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Claudius
Just to sum this up: you guys got someone provocating you about the upcoming US Evo 7 which no one knows the specs of. And therefore you come here and tell us that you like your Celica and that it's cheaper.

close enough except it was a EVO 7 imported into the US that was used in a magazine comparison by SCC, not the future US spec model. and that comparison was used as the base of the arguments by a former celica owner and newcelica.org regular who is now looking into an EVO, but felt it necessary to come on here and trash talk the people at newcelica.org (not just the celica). in that we were drawing lots of comparisons to the EVO and believed average celicas off the street were faster than M3s and other supercars,etc. generally ridiculous stuff like that.

we came here to clear our names and let everyone know we're just normal enthusiasts and the above was untrue.

unfortunately, that said member's posts also caused a few members here to lash out at the celica instead of just at any celica owners making negative remarks. and we got caught up in trying to defend the car from what we feel is unfair criticism.

the extent of discussion of evo vs. celica or any other supercar vs. celica at our forum starts and ends with the SCC shootout in their August Issue, which i'll dig up some links to.

That's great!
thanks

Now as far as comparing the performance of a Celica to that of an Evo goes, I suppose you were joking since there is no comparison.
yes, we had a good laugh about a completely fake article and comparison test that a reputable automotive enthusiast magazine held, in which one, 180hp Celica GT-S with new suspension outlapped one, stock Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VII by a full second. track where this mythical test allegedly took place was Buttonwillow. you can try and find a copy of this by looking through your local book store, or you can check out these scans:

http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica1.gif
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica2.gif
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica3.gif
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica4.gif
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica5.gif
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica6.gif
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica7.gif
http://subzero.mine.nu/celica/scccelica8.gif <--- the one you're probably interested in

or check out the tuning company's own website:

http://www.hotchkistuning.com/frames...ng_results.htm

Congratulations on choosing an Evo as your next car
i'm seriously considering one as my next car as well in a year or two

Last edited by t2000gts; Jul 22, 2002 at 11:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Regarding Celica vs Evo 7