Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

boost my 97 cobra or get an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obvious choice if you can reasonably afford it is the evo, but you already knew that, because you're here.

Much more practical and really cheap to maintain.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had the cash get the evo! Since you are only 18 and have no cash, either keep what you have or sell the Mustang and get a Honda Civic, and please don’t put a fart can on it.

Since you work on cars, fix and build other people cars, but drive a reliable cheap car until you can afford what you want.

When I was your age, many of my friends were broke and in debt because of car choices. I drove a piece of crap Honda when I was younger, but I had cash, had savings, etc…

I kept myself debt free my entire life, even when I was poor. My financial choices while growing up allowed me to pay cash for my Evo X when I was in my late 30’s.

Good luck whatever you do.

Last edited by mp72; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, you have skills under the hood already-- this is proven with what you could build from scratch with just your hands. Get the Evolution. It sounds like you want one. It should be less for you to maintain the Evolution because you can DIY all the stuff, right? If I had real wrench skills I would have so much done with this thing already.

Yeah you'll have to shell out for parts but who doesn't and they guys that don't shell out sell parts on the cheap lol.

Hey, I like Mustang and Camaro too. I would say get both but seeing as how you must pick I would say Evolution. You want it. I can tell.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basically you have to do what is best for you. Im about to turn 20 and I just bought an Evo X. If you have a decent job and have your **** together then you will be able to afford it easier than you think. Just weigh all your options carefully and work out the financial part of things. But I bought the car that made me feel the best, no regrets.

ps. I work for BMW lol
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mp72
If you had the cash get the evo! Since you are only 18 and have no cash, either keep what you have or sell the Mustang and get a Honda Civic, and please don’t put a fart can on it.

Since you work on cars, fix and build other people cars, but drive a reliable cheap car until you can afford what you want.

When I was your age, many of my friends were broke and in debt because of car choices. I drove a piece of crap Honda when I was younger, but I had cash, had savings, etc…

I kept myself debt free my entire life, even when I was poor. My financial choices while growing up allowed me to pay cash for my Evo X when I was in my late 30’s.

Good luck whatever you do.
i agree with is 100%, but the problem is i could not do without a fast car for that long lol. I eat sleep and breathe horsepower.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by onelessdigit
Basically you have to do what is best for you. Im about to turn 20 and I just bought an Evo X. If you have a decent job and have your **** together then you will be able to afford it easier than you think. Just weigh all your options carefully and work out the financial part of things. But I bought the car that made me feel the best, no regrets.

ps. I work for BMW lol
i would like the paycheck from BMW but not actually working on them because of all the damn computers they have in them.

And thats a response i was looking to hear. My buddy who is 18 just co-signed for a loan and is now driving around in 40k 2011 dodge ram hemi. And he works in construction and doesnt make that much.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
I would say sell the mustang and buy an evo. Being a v8 guy I can understand why it is still around, but with minor mods to an evo it will be faster then a cobra with little to very little effort and cash. When I bought my evo it had a few mods on it as it was, had it retuned and a few minor upgrades basically ported intake and exhaust mani and tb and that thing was way faster then my berger ss. and I only spent less then a 1000 for it. Needless to say a 560whp evo with less then 5k into it. Now with that said how much would it take to get a mustang at 560 whp and the cost of it? Oh and the ability to drive it all year round.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 97CobraMike
And thats a response i was looking to hear. My buddy who is 18 just co-signed for a loan and is now driving around in 40k 2011 dodge ram hemi. And he works in construction and doesnt make that much.
Your wages in ma that bad? Or is he non union? I work construction here and even as an apprentice we start out at 16.80 a hour.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Your wages in ma that bad? Or is he non union? I work construction here and even as an apprentice we start out at 16.80 a hour.
holy ****!.. depending where you work you start of at 8 an hour. My older brother does construction and hes been there a year and makes 10.50 an hour and the kid with the ram makes 9 i think.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

holy ****!.. depending where you work you start of at 8 an hour. My older brother does construction and hes been there a year and makes 10.50 an hour and the kid with the ram makes 9 i think.
9/Hour and a 40k truck. Perfect example of what is wrong with America.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Boltz.
9/Hour and a 40k truck. Perfect example of what is wrong with America.
Unfortunately I have to agree. The payment on that truck is more then he makes in a week I am sure. In fact that thing gets pretty bad mpg and how is he gonna pay for gas with a 600 dollar a month truck payment? Specially on only 1000 a month maybe 1100 a month in income? I mean I have no bills other then stuff around the house such as gas, electric, tv, internet and phone with a truck payment of 250 a month and even makeing 22 bucks an hour I struggle. But I don't work everyday I only work a few months a year.

Last edited by CurseDSM; Jun 14, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Unfortunately I have to agree. The payment on that truck is more then he makes in a week I am sure. In fact that thing gets pretty bad mpg and how is he gonna pay for gas with a 600 dollar a month truck payment? Specially on only 1000 a month maybe 1100 a month in income? I mean I have no bills other then stuff around the house such as gas, electric, tv, internet and phone with a truck payment of 250 a month and even makeing 22 bucks an hour I struggle. But I don't work everyday I only work a few months a year.
Hes pretty shady about his fiancial life. But i know the only payments he has are his truck and phone. And he said something about having 7k saved up from working when he was younger.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Myself coming from the mustang world. 99 GT, 2002 S/C Saleen, 04 Cobra, 06 S/C Saleen. Get the EVO. The mustangs always felt heavy and I hated when the rear end always wanted to twist from underneath me. The EVO is so much more nimble and AWD feels great. I wasnt sure because rear wheel was so fun, but feeling the power hit the ground and stick feels better. Plus you can carry passengers comfortably.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Hes pretty shady about his fiancial life. But i know the only payments he has are his truck and phone. And he said something about having 7k saved up from working when he was younger.
Thats cool I wish you young bucks good luck.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:11 AM

EVO! get it now and ur friend buying a pos dodge is a retard...

Quick Reply: boost my 97 cobra or get an Evo?