Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Drove the new 2017 Acura NSX

Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I think this is the first coverage on the new NSX that didn't mention anything about numb or boring driving... even said it was good on track

Old Sep 21, 2016, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is why the old nsx still costs an arm and a leg..
Old Sep 22, 2016, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
From the side it reminds me of an Opel GT.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Shocking review! But I am not suprised at all. What that car needs is to lose about 500lbs and if they can up the boost for another 100 whp with no lag. It would be insane!!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's pretty unfortunate. I really think the branding team got it all wrong with this car. It's not an NSX, and should not have held that name.

An engineering marvel that was a raw exciting car to drive that was developed with help from Aryton Senna, to this...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmdc2r01
My short review of a carbon packaged 2017 NSX for now:

High's-
Looks incredible inside and out, the paint especially, powerband is very smooth and linear, tranny is seamless, no harshness at all, so comfy, pulls out of corners good, the suspension is super smooth even in track mode, visibility is very good, incredible brakes, seats are soft and comfortable, its quiet and soft, this is the ultimate smooth, soft, so easy to drive most livable daily driver supercar on this earth, I'm falling asleep....

Low's-
Power feels slow, yes I said it, feels like it has only 400hp not the rated 573hp? No excitement, no aggressiveness, no rawness, no supercar feel, steering is boring, numb, the exhaust, turbo, engine sounds are non existent, so quiet, just so damn boring. This one had the regular Conti tires on,
Overpriced at $200k+ Optioned out, overall Im a bit disappointed and not impressed.
There it is
Could you give some background to why you were able to drive it and what type of driving you were allowed to do?

I think our experiences are different in some aspects. others are right on.

The car is fast, unexpectedly. Meaning its faster than it feels and a 0-60 time ~3.0s.
Launch control with sticky tires is a very unique feeling with the electric motors.
Also cruising at lower speeds and hammer the throttle, downshifts and the electric motors give you a similar feeling which pulls quite hard.

The steering lacks some feed back, I wouldn't say its numb, it is very precise.
I could hear the turbo and blowoff valves on part throttles.
Exhaust sound is tame, has a moderate sound, boring for a supercar. Easily fixed taking out 4 cat converters and 2 massive silencers.

NSX is a tamed drivers everyday supercar for the street. So it will lack the obnoxious characteristics of flashy supercars. The quite mode is actually one of my favorite parts of the car, to drive on only electric is a very unique aspect of the vehicle, you can forget you are driving an NSX and not an accord. Some people hate that, some people love the comfort of what a supercar can be, its not for everyone.

One of the best aspects of the NSX which is only lightly understood by the industry is the brake system. The brakes are amazing and the control system is incredibly complicated. However, it is done so well you would never know or comprehend this vehicle is brake by wire with regen. There was a paper this week shown to the brake industry at the SAE colloquium about the NSX. Every OEM dealing with hybrid supercars is begging for this technology, nothing else on the planet can touch its capability today.
One very interesting comment from the MT video by Randy was about the vehicle's braking mostly should be done in a straight line without trail brake.
This is actually contradictory to the development of the vehicle and other professional drivers input. The vehicle was designed specifically to trail brake, setting up the vehicle's balance and ability to smash the throttle early and allow the torque vectoring system to take over and pull the vehicle out of a corner (if you have the *****). There is another video with Honda's test project leader Nick Robinson describing this aspect of the vehicle.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Sep 29, 2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't wana say too much as to how I was able to drive it. But lets just say I was invited to drive the new NSX on a road course and on the street.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, wish i could get myself in one to test it
Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the price not worth it
Old Oct 3, 2016, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdmdc2r01
I don't wana say too much as to how I was able to drive it. But lets just say I was invited to drive the new NSX on a road course and on the street.
Fair enough, lets go with that
Old Oct 3, 2016, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/thi...nda-nsx-crash/
Old Oct 4, 2016, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

I found this video yesterday... hit the 7:28 mark

NSX seems to take a 458, Aventador, and barely losing to a 650s from a stop.
Weather this is one example of it winning, I'm sure there will be other examples of it losing.
Here or there, however, I think it supports the fact that the NSX is fast.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
I found this video yesterday... hit the 7:28 mark
She Chose the Acura NSX! - YouTube

NSX seems to take a 458, Aventador, and barely losing to a 650s from a stop.
Weather this is one example of it winning, I'm sure there will be other examples of it losing.
Here or there, however, I think it supports the fact that the NSX is fast.
Straight line racing with those cars... what a waste...

Not to mention the Discount Tire special rims on the 458...
Old Oct 26, 2016, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like the old NSX was panned initially for the same reasons. Too sedate, not enough power, too typical feeling, felt like a Prelude. All the superlatives didn't come out until hard track use was brought into play and real appreciation of it didn't come about until it had been on the market for a few years.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 05:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove the new one as well. I was amazed by the throttle response, crazy for a boosted engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove the new 2017 Acura NSX