Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

The e-Evolution (SUV) (EV)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that a Lexus?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kpt6
Also I hope they leave the Evolution name off anything they make in the future that isn't performance-minded.
I agree. "Evolution" is a homologation term.
The M3 Evolution and 190E 2.5-16 Evolution were sold to legalize cars for DTM.
The Lancer Evolution was sold to legalize a fast Lancer for the WRC.
A "Pajero Evolution" might be legit, if it was sold to legalize the Pajero for something like the Paris-Dakar Rally.

A vehicle with no racing connection that has "Evolution" in its name is complete bullsh!t, and I hope nobody buys it.

Originally Posted by Jonno99
In the IT industry, the IoT integrated vehicle is the next big thing, basically vehicle connected to internet, all marketing BS but aimed at the next generation of young people wanting to be connected at all times due to fear of missing out. The future is all about lifting your profile and gathering more followers and vehicle providers take this into account
"Evolution" doesn't mean anything to those muppets, so there's no point abusing the term to sell them cars.

Last edited by BluEvo210; Jan 15, 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Did Evo's really sell so poorly that Mitsubishi had to try to reinvent themselves? That thing looks like some dumb Car of Tomorrow mock-up. I still friggin love my Evo 8 that I bought 16 years ago.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 04:07 PM

When I saw the picture I said wow! I know Mitsu has re-invented itself into an SUV company, I first thought that the EVO was being re-invented as the poor man's Lamborghini Urus, a spectacular vehicle
Now I see just more corporate BS . They should lose the EVO
Old Jan 15, 2019, 04:53 PM

Just being Realistic. The EVO was always a Halo car going back to the days of race on Sunday, sell on Monday. It was a showroom draw but only the hardcore bought them. EVO sale could not sustain Mitsu.
I am not happy about it but that is the reality
Old Jan 15, 2019, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
The Evo's problem wasn't itself. Mitsubishi's problem was the Lancer, and you can't have a new Evo without a new Lancer. The Lancer was otherwise uncompetitive and archaic car in the compact car market that didn't sell well. Mitsubishi stopped using the Evo in WRC competition, and decided not to invest in developing a new base model, so they milked the platform for all they could, and walked away. Racing drummed up sales for the base model, and with no desire to go racing or to sell the base model, there is no need for a WRC-inspired street car. The Evo died with the Lancer.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 02:41 AM

Mitsubishi knows 4 sure how to do Seppuku !!!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Didn't mitsubishi get bought by Nissan a couple years back ?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigBoogieman
Did Evo's really sell so poorly that Mitsubishi had to try to reinvent themselves? That thing looks like some dumb Car of Tomorrow mock-up. I still friggin love my Evo 8 that I bought 16 years ago.
Yes, that's exactly it. Evo X sales were so slow for 2008, they didn't sell a 2009 model in the US. If only I had known in 2008... The start of the 2010 model year was a great time to get one, because some dealers still had 2008 Evos on the lot.

Mitsubishi tried to go "upmarket" with the Lancer that became the Evolution X. They made it bigger and heavier than all the Lancers that came before, then added a bunch of frivolous gadgets that didn't make the car any faster. Going upmarket priced the Lancer Evolution X out of reach of a lot of the kids that were impressed with the gadgets, and people who could pay that money (like me) were cross-shopping slightly-used M3s.

As long as the CZ4A chassis was around, Mitsubishi had time to make an Evo XI and XII, but instead development stagnated.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have used their favorable history associated with the Evolution and Eclipse names to try and jumpstart new entries into their CUV and SUV segments. Enthusiasts, auto journalists and motorsport competitors give weight to those names but their new target customer probably couldn’t care less or doesn’t understand the naming significance. So basically Mitsubishi has pissed off the enthusiasts while simultaneously wasting an iconic name.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo Arcana
They have used their favorable history associated with the Evolution and Eclipse names to try and jumpstart new entries into their CUV and SUV segments. Enthusiasts, auto journalists and motorsport competitors give weight to those names but their new target customer probably couldn’t care less or doesn’t understand the naming significance. So basically Mitsubishi has pissed off the enthusiasts while simultaneously wasting an iconic name.
This is it exactly. Such a waste of two brand names they built up for years through reputation and marketing. I also couldn't care less about any of their new SUV/CUV offering. There's nothing in their line that appeals to me. I feel that way about a lot of modern offerings though, I'm not sure there's anything current that I'd actually want.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by huzzle101
Didn't mitsubishi get bought by Nissan a couple years back ?
Well, Nissan bought 34% of their stock. Renault owns 40% or more of Nissan. I guess that makes them majority shareholders of Mitsubishi now. I'm not aware of Mitsubishi owning stock in those other two companies.
So, now there's a Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, which is a big change from the previous 40 years.
Mitsubishi had a partnership with Chrysler Corporation (since they started selling in America in the '70s), which ties in to some things I don't like about the 2008+ Lancer. It shared the floor pan and a lot of chassis geometry with the Dodge Caliber, Dodge Avenger, and Chrysler 200. I think that's part of why Evo X is so much bigger and heavier than Evo XI.

Last edited by BluEvo210; Jan 17, 2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 17, 2019, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That angle shown by the OP reminds me of an Evoque (clearly not in the same class lol)