Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

BMW M2 Competition vs SS 1LE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
BMW M2 Competition vs SS 1LE

A pretty interesting matchup here. SS 1LE still an unbeatable performance bargain, assuming you can get comfortable with the body visibility. I drove it and it's not ideal, but I could live with it. I never drove a BMW of any type so I can't add anything there.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...camaro-ss-1le/
Old Jan 9, 2019, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Before I got my golf R as a daily I was seriously thinking between these two and gt350. To this day I still want to get one of them but I can't make up my mind one. Do I want the unmatch value on the SS but lacking visibility, the refinement of the m2 but the price and lesser "aggressiveness", or the amazing exhaust note of the gt350 but deal with oil issues...

I've driven all but I can't make up my damn mind. I guess I'm saving money lol
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
I think the Camaro enthusiasts should look for is ZL1 1LE, essentially the power and handling of 5th gen Z/28 in a 6th gen chassis (Alpha Platform). In a few years those should depreciate to around $40k, making it a killer deal.

American automakers did fight their way up to see a new golden age of muscle cars. Viper, Corvette, Mustang (GT350R), Camaro (ZL1 1LE), ATS-V... so many great choices at a reasonable price.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Very close to going to a ZL1 1LE and getting rid of my Evo...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I've been lurking in the Porsche scene for a couple years now. The 991.2 generation 911 Carrera T with Rear Wheel Steers seems to be the drivers choice. Some even preferring it to their GT3s. And that 3.0L twin turbo engine is so easy to mod for a heck of a lot more power. It's early days still, but headers, exhausts, ICs, and now hybrid upgraded turbos are becoming available. Even before upgraded turbos, easy 100whp gain with bolt-ons and tune. Of course... the trick would be getting one for any reasonable price. A base Carrera could probably be modded to be very close to the T in feel, though I don't know if the Rear Wheel Steer is available, and the RWS is the magic trick to eliminating all the bad behaviors of hanging the engine out back. Can't order 991.2s anymore because the 992 is coming out, but keep an eye on the used market. The cars at stock power levels are easily capable of handling road course use with regards to oil and coolant temps.