Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

A few cars from 2019 Super Lap at COTA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
A few cars from 2019 Super Lap at COTA

Tons of Subies..... one Evo. What happened to all the Evo time attack cars? Anyway, pretty amazing amateur-built cars are lapping COTA at a similar pace to full blown race cars.

https://motoiq.com/2019-super-lap-ba...-the-americas/
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
What happened to all the Evo time attack cars?
COTA is super expensive.

Most evo time attack drivers i know would rather do multiple events for the price of this one event.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
It's absurdly expensive to run that event. You don't even want to see the costs of what you have to pay if you have an off or fluid spill...

For just the price to enter Superlap Battle there I could run half a season of Gridlife. Please don't take this as me knocking the event in any way. I watched both days of the event on their stream and wish I could have gone in person and I'm super happy the US is trying to build a WTAC style event but it's not an event you can enter without some deep pockets, lots of those guys have teams and sponsors to help heft some a good chunk of their costs.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ayoustin
It's absurdly expensive to run that event. You don't even want to see the costs of what you have to pay if you have an off or fluid spill...
Oh, I listened to James Houghton's interview... definitely mega $$$ for the oil spill. It is a FIA track with the first Indycar race coming up next month. The surface has to be pristine.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
Oh, I listened to James Houghton's interview... definitely mega $$$ for the oil spill. It is a FIA track with the first Indycar race coming up next month. The surface has to be pristine.
In Au at one track, probably most, if you hit the wall they charge you a grand to repaint it lol
Old Feb 25, 2019, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Attendance did look pretty weak. This may not have been the greatest track for a Time Attack event, either.

$1500 entry fee
$100 garage spot fee

Hazard fees:
  • Paint/Track surface/Facilities $195 per 100 yard
  • Guard Rails $195 per foot
  • Tech Pro Barrier $985 per block
  • Catch Fence Panel $975 per panel
  • Catch Fence Pole $780 per pole
  • Tire Disposal $25 per tire
  • Oil Dry Absorbent 40kg bag $65 per bag
  • Liquid Spill on Track $500 per corner
  • Liquid Spill paddock/pit lane/garages $500 per area

Ouch!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

$100 for a garage spot actually seems cheap. I looked up some standard track days at COTA, $575-$600 for a single day, $1000 for 2-days (ChinTrackDays). So $1500 seems about right for a 2-day competition event. But yeah, COTA is just expensive. Cost of driving on a FIA/F1 track. Uh, don't crash and make sure your car isn't leaking. On the flipside, COTA being a FIA track has tons of runoff and sand traps, so crashing into a wall would take a really big screw-up.