Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Current car: FL5 Type R (at bottom of thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 09:26 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
I like the CTR because I wouldn't have to do anything to it. I like that because one money pit is enough for me
Old Jan 4, 2020, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
HHAHAHA, I knew you would modify it.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Whats most important is that your happy with it. I dont think its possible to stop modifying a car. Even if one did everything they wanted to do with it, eventually their preference changes or something new comes out that needs to be upgraded or improved on. It could be something big or something small like interior aesthetics.

As for my thoughts on the Civic,I absolutely cannot go back to Front Wheel Drive for a sports car. I dont care how fast or quick or great it is overall. At bare minimum it would have to be rear wheel drive. Before the Evo, I owned an SRT-4. It was a great car and quick. But the Front Wheel Drive wheel hop issues, lack of grip with street tires for putting down the power etc.. just put a scar so deep I rather not own a sports car than to have one thats FWD. Only one exception is converting it to AWD like doing a front and rear electric motor EV conversion.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Whats most important is that your happy with it. I dont think its possible to stop modifying a car. Even if one did everything they wanted to do with it, eventually their preference changes or something new comes out that needs to be upgraded or improved on. It could be something big or something small like interior aesthetics.

As for my thoughts on the Civic,I absolutely cannot go back to Front Wheel Drive for a sports car. I dont care how fast or quick or great it is overall. At bare minimum it would have to be rear wheel drive. Before the Evo, I owned an SRT-4. It was a great car and quick. But the Front Wheel Drive wheel hop issues, lack of grip with street tires for putting down the power etc.. just put a scar so deep I rather not own a sports car than to have one thats FWD. Only one exception is converting it to AWD like doing a front and rear electric motor EV conversion.
Same with me, for a sports car with over 200hp, I would also never buy a FWD. I would only consider FWD for normal cars or anything below 200hp.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 06:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 6UE5T
Absolutely agree about the CTR.
Originally Posted by 6UE5T
Same with me, for a sports car with over 200hp, I would also never buy a FWD. I would only consider FWD for normal cars or anything below 200hp.
200HP, huh?
Your baseless opinion is noted, Mr. 16 posts from Kuala Lumpur.

I can appreciate that perspective, and it's totally cool if it's not for you! FWD cars are not remotely quick off the mark or in first gear. They'll never have the low speed acceleration of an AWD car.

That said, comparing an SRT-4 to a CTR is like comparing a 2G DSM to an Evo. They're not remotely in the same league for performance stock. Drivability, handling, braking, and outright speed, the CTR completely blows the SRT-4 away. There's zero torque steer, and the only way you'll get wheel hop stock is a drag strip launch in VHT or a WOT blast in first gear in the wet with traction control fully defeated.

The new Hondata ROM adjustable traction control mapping is pretty exceptional. It will limit power immediately when it starts to detect wheelspin. So if you're tuned at 350whp/370tq, you'll recieve less power in first gear, much less in first in the wet. I get a little power restriction in second, and then none in third and above. Since installing, I'm having no traction issues, and of course no aforementioned AWD-like first gear acceleration, either.

I'm not going to pretend to make a pro-case for FWD for anything other than packaging efficiency, weight, and lower drivetrain losses, because it's not a performance driveline by any stretch of the imagination. But the FK8 is proven properly quick on track, faster than it's current and former AWD competition stock vs. stock. Lots of people are tracking them with great results. This car's forte is handling first, which is what attracted me to all my Evos.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 08:02 PM
kaj

I owned an SRT-4. It was a great car and quick. But the Front Wheel Drive wheel hop issues, lack of grip with street tires for putting down the power etc.. just put a scar so deep I rather not own a sports car than to have one thats FWD. Only one exception is converting it to AWD like doing a front and rear electric motor EV conversion.
Not. Even. Close to the CTR. I've seen CTRs out lap Evos. "Lack of performance" isn't a really a good reason to dislike the car, unless you're talking about outright modifications (because then comparisons pretty much go out the window, anyway).
The following users liked this post:
Noize (Jan 5, 2020)
Old Jan 4, 2020, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
200HP, huh?
Your baseless opinion is noted, Mr. 16 posts from Kuala Lumpur.

I can appreciate that perspective, and it's totally cool if it's not for you! FWD cars are not remotely quick off the mark or in first gear. They'll never have the low speed acceleration of an AWD car.

That said, comparing an SRT-4 to a CTR is like comparing a 2G DSM to an Evo. They're not remotely in the same league for performance stock. Drivability, handling, braking, and outright speed, the CTR completely blows the SRT-4 away. There's zero torque steer, and the only way you'll get wheel hop stock is a drag strip launch in VHT or a WOT blast in first gear in the wet with traction control fully defeated.

The new Hondata ROM adjustable traction control mapping is pretty exceptional. It will limit power immediately when it starts to detect wheelspin. So if you're tuned at 350whp/370tq, you'll recieve less power in first gear, much less in first in the wet. I get a little power restriction in second, and then none in third and above. Since installing, I'm having no traction issues, and of course no aforementioned AWD-like first gear acceleration, either.

I'm not going to pretend to make a pro-case for FWD for anything other than packaging efficiency, weight, and lower drivetrain losses, because it's not a performance driveline by any stretch of the imagination. But the FK8 is proven properly quick on track, faster than it's current and former AWD competition stock vs. stock. Lots of people are tracking them with great results. This car's forte is handling first, which is what attracted me to all my Evos.
Hahaha chill out dude, don't need to be so sensitive. Lol. It's just our personal preference. If you like your fwd CTR then good for you, but some might not.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Not. Even. Close to the CTR. I've seen CTRs out lap Evos. "Lack of performance" isn't a really a good reason to dislike the car, unless you're talking about outright modifications (because then comparisons pretty much go out the window, anyway).
I’m not saying its not a good car or it doesnt perform. In fact I agree that it is a well engineered/designed car that does perform and handle. My experience with FWD sporty cars have always been not so pleasant in the traction department. Now Noise mentioned something I did not know about the CTR and that its traction control works very well with wheel spin and hop. And that is a huge plus in my book. But even with that, I just cant get myself to like it just because it is FWD.

Imagine if they made it RWD or AWD ?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 04:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

On the scales with a full tank stock, mine was 3080 lbs with a full tank, which is pretty light. I think the handling would take a hit if it had the extra weight of AWD. Like an Evo or Focus RS, it's a FWD based econobox, after all. I don't think you could make it RWD based, unfortunately.

All the good RWD cars are either very underpowered, super heavy, or exotics that are way out of my price range.

Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:41 AM
kaj

I’m not saying its not a good car or it doesnt perform. In fact I agree that it is a well engineered/designed car that does perform and handle. My experience with FWD sporty cars have always been not so pleasant in the traction department. Now Noise mentioned something I did not know about the CTR and that its traction control works very well with wheel spin and hop. And that is a huge plus in my book. But even with that, I just cant get myself to like it just because it is FWD.

Understood. We're just saying your experience was with an arguably inferior and much outdated vehicle, so can't really be applied to this car. It's like my saying I don't like the new Camaro because the '56 Bel Air I drove had no steering feel
As for no liking FWD, I totally get that. I definitely don't prefer them, but they are so much fun to drive fast.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
As someone else said, this car is near perfect in stock form if you're looking for a street car that does everything well. It's so good in it's current form so I echo the sentiment of others that it really doesn't need AWD. I also noticed there's a surprising amount of former Evo X owners such as myself that have switched over to the FK8 platform.

Last edited by jayevo23; Jan 7, 2020 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Noize (Jan 8, 2020)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by jayevo23
As someone else said, this car is near perfect in stock form if you're looking for a street car that does everything well. It's so good in it's current form so I echo the sentiment of others that it really doesn't need AWD. I also noticed there's a surprising amount of former Evo X owners such as myself that have switched over to the FK8 platform.
Those that went with a X over the 8 and 9 are soft anyway and I'd expect them to move on to a type R honestly.

Haha, I kid, I kid.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 06:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by XSivPSI
Those that went with a X over the 8 and 9 are soft anyway and I'd expect them to move on to a type R honestly.

Haha, I kid, I kid.
Yeah, because SAYC, the better flowing head, and MIVEC on both sides of the 4B11 really sucks.
I went from VIII to IX to X. 2-1/2 years away from Evos, I still believe the X is the best version we ever got in the US. But the crown still goes to the VI in my book, based on all versions I've driven, VI-X.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:02 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by jayevo23
I'm told the X and CTR both actually drive very similar. I haven't driven a CTR yet, so can't say for myself, but that would be interesting and I can see how it's possible, seeing how they both have electronics to help them handle "better".

Yeah, because SAYC, the better flowing head, and MIVEC on both sides of the 4B11 really sucks.
I went from VIII to IX to X. 2-1/2 years away from Evos, I still believe the X is the best version we ever got in the US. But the crown still goes to the VI in my book, based on all versions I've driven, VI-X.
I've driven the X and just didn't find it as much fun as my CT9A. But, you have to take into account that I don't daily drive my Evo, so want one that's as wild, tactile, and fun-to-drive as possible. I really have to work to get my IX around a course. The X was much easier, which is the "less fun" part I mentioned... because I'm weird.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Added a few things to the Type R.

Intercooler- I've always liked Perrin since Evo days. They're a name I know and trust for results and quality. Their Intercooler research and development thread sold me. So I picked up their IC on a great Black Friday deal, and couldn't be happier with it. Pretty easy install. Sustains power by keeping post turbo inlet temps in check, and looks great.

Tuning- I grabbed a JB4, but after looking at it, I knew it wasn't the system for me. The main reason for that was that even though Burger has excellent customer service and it's likely an undetectable solution, there wasn't enough end user adjustability for tuning for me. They were gracious and easy to work with, and allowed me to do a return.
Once Hondata did the instant jailbreak, I jumped on that. With the seamless traction control, Hondata was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Hands down the best modification so far.

Exhaust- There was a vendor around Christmas that had a smoking deal on the Perrin resonated exhaust, so I grabbed one of those as well. It has a front pipe, center resonator, and a helmholtz resonator off the main muffler. It's a full 3" system, and isn't too loud.

It looks like the only thing left to do would be a downpipe, as intake gains are dubious at best. But I don't really want to go catless, and doing the work for it to be high flow catted doesn't seem really worth it either. Right now, the car makes good power and doesn't stink, so I think this is the best place to stop for now.

I don't want to do suspension. I have some places where I need the stock ground clearance to enter, and I don't want to hasten wear on the shocks with somthing that will slam the car like Swifts. I think the Spoon springs look nice, but I would like to keep a linear spring like stock, as I'm not a fan of the feel inconsistencies of progressive springs as you increase cornering. I also don't want to hinder the great factory ride.

Since the fueling system is cost prohibitive to modify, the engine doesn't rev very deeply, and the turbo is small, I've run out of ideas to modify further.

It's a great, reliable daily driver, and I have no oil leaks or gear grinds of any kind. I treat it nicely most of the time, and am averaging close to 27mpg, even post tune.
are you still on stock wheels? tires?

Quick Reply: Current car: FL5 Type R (at bottom of thread)