Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Seconds thoughts about the Evo....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my cousin spent 1300-1400 bucks on his cobra and is making around 450rwhp
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:56 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the huge disparity in braking between these two cars. The Evo's handling will offset the Cobra's straight line power, and the Evo's braking will put it ahead, with the exception noted below.

Originally Posted by UFO
On a race course, with a straight, the Cobra will make up whatever time it loses under braking and in the corners due to its 120+ (390 is underrated) horsepower advantage. Go race even a stock Cobra from a roll and report back on how badly he beat you. The Cobras has some serious power and it's difficult to overcome that with handling alone. Don't get me wrong though, the Evo's still the better overall car.
I'd agree with you if he was only running on a very long course with mostly sweeping turns - Road America comes to mind. On a tight technical course, no way. Most of my track time has been at Gingerman, where braking and maintaining speed through the turns is everything. The straights aren't long enough to really pull away, especially in a car like the Cobra, since you have to brake so much earlier to shrug off the few MPH advantage you have. The other S2000 guys consistently outlapped the Cobras by 4-5 seconds (1:45ish for the S2000s), and I'd give the Evo 3-4s advantage over the S2000s there.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

People say the evo has no top-end because they are right. The top-end on my car stock didn't feel much faster than my V6 Honda Accord. With a boost controller and a reflash though, it becomes a different animal altogether. Add a turboback exhaust and the car absolutely flies.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the huge disparity in braking between these two cars.
this is also somewhat false.

60-0 (from R&T):
evo: 108'
cobra: 123' <---still very good

the idea that a cobra has poor handling stems mainly from the mustang, which has a solid rear axle. the cobra has a multi-link rear suspension.

600' skidpad:
evo: 0.92 G
cobra: 0.90 G

again, i HATE mustangs. however, it's naive to think an evo will always "easily" beat a cobra at the track. and don't get too cocky about mods either. given how quickly and cheaply you can push the cobra to 425+ whp, you'll have lots left over for coilovers etc. to improve handling even more.

Last edited by Tanner_Hall; Sep 16, 2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

The Cobra is a nice, fast car. I have driven several different Cobras across the years and found the last gen to be an awesome experience. However, I would NEVER trade my EVO for the Cobra.

I am a former Mustang owner as well. I don't hate mustangs, on the contrary I love them quite a bit. I even sold Fords for a while because I loved them so much.

A month or so ago, I came across a new Cobra on the street with in transit stickers on it. There were two young kids driving it with big grins on their faces being pretty cocky. Let's just say they weren't too happy with the results and their smiles were gone. I have a few simple mods and gave them plenty to think about.

Handling on the EVO is superior. Any car can be race preped and made to run through the twisties pretty well. If you are looking for something that with a few small, relatively inexpensive mods will pull 1.0g, the EVO is the car for you.

Again, I'm not knockin' on the Cobra, it is truly a great car. I just believe you'll have more fun doing it in the EVO. ESPECIALLY, if you get snow where you live. I do... and it's funny because I never see the Cobras come out to play in winter!