EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   Tesla Plaid What are your Thoughts? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/762932-tesla-plaid-what-your-thoughts.html)

DRAGHICI Feb 13, 2022 11:33 AM

Tesla Plaid What are your Thoughts?

On a dyno hub they got 1067WHP!!

it looks like nothing stock can touch it 0-60 and 1/4 mile, including all motorcycles too!
it beat an alpha 10 gtr!

Anyone try one yet??

Grimgrak Feb 13, 2022 01:46 PM

One trick pony.

RallySport9 Feb 13, 2022 02:39 PM

No offence to tesla lovers but but who cares how fast you can go in a straight line. Any car enthusiast is into cars for the many different feelings you get out of it, speed/power is fun but its near the bottom of the list for why I got into cars in the first place. What about corning/handling capabilities? Weight? I watched afew videos of these cars on the circuit and it looks so dangerous going that speed without any engine harmonics to help you feel what the car is doing. There is a huge disconnect, if a robot was operating the car fine, but we are still human beings.

Biggiesacks Feb 13, 2022 02:55 PM

The use case seems very limited.

DRAGHICI Feb 13, 2022 05:29 PM

it has a track package option that changes the whole handling aspect with tq vectoring.

WarmMilk Feb 14, 2022 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by RallySport9 (Post 11949388)
No offence to tesla lovers but but who cares how fast you can go in a straight line. Any car enthusiast is into cars for the many different feelings you get out of it, speed/power is fun but its near the bottom of the list for why I got into cars in the first place. What about corning/handling capabilities? Weight? I watched afew videos of these cars on the circuit and it looks so dangerous going that speed without any engine harmonics to help you feel what the car is doing. There is a huge disconnect, if a robot was operating the car fine, but we are still human beings.

while I agree with you, this is 'merica... a lot of people here spend obscene amounts of money to go fast in a straight line. As far as bang for the buck goes for straight line speed, I don't think there's out there that beats it. except your giant turbo strapped to a foxbody (or similar) junk yard build. But even those, to be in the realm of Plaid speeds you still gotta spend a good chunk of money. And the Plaid will still be more comfortable and much more civilized and definitely cheaper to run than anything else nearly as fast. Its the best 9 second daily... yoke is still retarded... and everything touch screen is stupid... other than those 2 the Plaid is hard to argue against on paper. but most car purchases aren't logical like that

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI (Post 11949393)
I read it has a track package option that changes the whole handling aspect with tq vectoring.

its trump card is still straight line speed... if you watch the vid below, look at the gap it puts on the other 2 cars, especially the Caddy... its measured in football fields, but lap time is only 0.29 faster... thats a lot of speed the Caddy makes up in the corners, and thats a 4000lb+ behemoth itself. and it is all corners... I know a lot of people complain about the brakes on the Plaid, but I listened to one of their podcasts and Cammisa said they looked at the data overlays and the braking g's were about the same as the other 2 cars. Its just that the Plaid puts on speed so fast that the same braking performance feels inadequate. Its the only car (oem) that has the same acceleration g's as braking g's.

DRAGHICI Feb 16, 2022 03:59 PM

Great video!
I like the simplicity of the interior controls and the luxury silent speed.
your in triple digit speeds without noticing it and no attention with all the noise.
its nice driving in luxury sometimes and then press the kill button!
thats the last gas blackwing, the next one is electric too!
in the video the Tesla isnt using the track package, the track package came out after the video was taken in January. It has increased top speed to 174mph, torque vectoring, suspension and throttle tuning.
im sure now the Tesla wining time will be even more reduced than before.
Either way a small tune on either gas cars in power will change everything too!

Dallas J Feb 17, 2022 09:07 AM

I think its silly to call it a "one trick pony" when we also have like 75% of Evos turned into drag cars. Also, wouldn't that mean any car that handles worse than the Model S is a "Zero trick pony" since it cant accelerate either?

RallySport9 Feb 17, 2022 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dallas J (Post 11949595)
I think its silly to call it a "one trick pony" when we also have like 75% of Evos turned into drag cars. Also, wouldn't that mean any car that handles worse than the Model S is a "Zero trick pony" since it cant accelerate either?

I think one trick pony is the perfect way to describe it. Those evos were turned into drag cars (which I do not at all agree with). From the factory the evo is designed to do it all reliably as rally racing demands and by spending a pile turning it into a drag car you're wasting money when you could just do the same to a much cheaper dsm (or any car for that matter). The evo was never built for record breaking speeds but still capable of doing them, extremely nimble and controlled on the track using mechanical, not computer tech. Turning an evo into a drag car is like turning a gymnast into a body builder. This is a USA thing, in euro/uk, japan evo's have always been properly used.

I must digress though, The Tesla can only do one thing great. Go really really fast.

Biggiesacks Feb 17, 2022 10:46 AM

Quality control issues aside, I think the model S is a pretty nice Luxury Sedan. If there is a trick to the plaid, it's that you can have all that performance with almost zero impact on practicality. I'm not talking about cost, I'm talking about daily use cases. I remember when the Dodge demon came out. There were all these stories about owners having to agree to all kinds of B.S. so that legal would even allow those things to be sold. You had to get special insurance through Dodge (according to the media anyway).

DRAGHICI Feb 17, 2022 11:16 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...8a8e60798.jpeg

This is my 2022 Plaid in pearl white, black interior with black carbon fiber.
Fastest car i drove before was my 8 MR at 542whp.
Night time instead of a high beam you just tap the peddle and the whole front end rises like you flashed someone with the high-beam.
Everything is instant like a part of your brain, no delay just instant.
the first time i accelerated it was honestly scary, i couldn’t believe it at first, its unreal!!
you can break lose going 80 if you floor it, its that fast!
its insane in the membrane!

Biggiesacks Feb 17, 2022 12:03 PM

Nice Ride! Is there a strong "Living in the Future" vibe when driving it?

DRAGHICI Feb 17, 2022 12:47 PM

what else can they do to an ICE car to make it any better and more efficient than it is now? Nothing!
Electric is the next logical step in transportation. It has all the check marks!
You feel like everything gas doesn’t make sense anymore.
Everyday the tank is full.
it costs me at home $13 to fill her up if shes 100% empty which it never will happen.
thats around $.0325 a mile for 1000whp how can you beat that really??
three engines each one has 340whp.
its like having three 340whp bolton tuned evo engines in your car at once only difference is no lag at all!
shes always over 50% charged when i do get home so its not expensive every day to charge her.
it’s really cheap!
when your shopping the car maintains its temperature and its always either cool or heated inside.
when you sit inside all you do is touch the brake pedal and then the car knows that it needs to be in either drive or reverse, its all done automatically, you just touch the brake and then touch the gas to go either forward or backward because the car knows already.
in the morning the car is already preheated and ready to drive.
ICE cars are done for!
i had the 2021 Y performance before this one. That one had around 500whp.
I bet you a good chance your next brand new car will be electric too.
Its the future of our future!
im not going back to ICE cars!

RallySport9 Feb 17, 2022 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI (Post 11949615)
what else can they do to an ICE car to make it any better and more efficient than it is now? Nothing!
Electric is the next logical step in transportation. It has all the check marks!
You feel like everything gas doesn’t make sense anymore.
Everyday the tank is full.
it costs me at home $13 to fill her up if shes 100% empty which it never will happen.
thats around $.0325 a mile for 1000whp how can you beat that really??
three engines each one has 340whp.
its like having three 340whp bolton tuned evo engines in your car at once only difference is no lag at all!
shes always over 50% charged when i do get home so its not expensive every day to charge her.
it’s really cheap!
when your shopping the car maintains its temperature and its always either cool or heated inside.
when you sit inside all you do is touch the brake pedal and then the car knows that it needs to be in either drive or reverse, its all done automatically, you just touch the brake and then touch the gas to go either forward or backward because the car knows already.
in the morning the car is already preheated and ready to drive.
ICE cars are done for!
i had the 2021 Y performance before this one. That one had around 500whp.
I bet you a good chance your next brand new car will be electric too.
Its the future of our future!
im not going back to ICE cars!

As a car enthusiast there is nothing to be passionate about there but that pretty much describes today's music, movies, fashion and general loss of creativity. Everything you said makes sense except that EV's are the future. EV's are not the future, if they were that's the direction investors would have taken a hundred years ago when they had to make the choice of going electric or combustion. If it was some crazy magnetic anti-gravy powered vehicle that was completely free energy yes that's a break through but in the end of the day its a fancy battery powered car. Nothing futuristic about that. Im more impressed wit the way they make engines these days.

Biggiesacks Feb 17, 2022 01:56 PM

I think you aren't appreciating all the advances in electronics, software, chemistry, manufacturing, metallurgy, etc, etc... that it takes to make a modern EV. One could fall very deep down the rabbit hole in just the material science behind the transistors inside the motor drivers (GaN / SiC).

EV's are absolutely the future..... If you look down the tech tree you don't get to flying cars with I.C.E.