EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner-357/)
-   -   Tesla Plaid What are your Thoughts? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/loft-evom-car-talk-corner/762932-tesla-plaid-what-your-thoughts.html)

WarmMilk Feb 17, 2022 02:03 PM

EV's are definitely the future for transportation. enthusiast cars are going the way of the horse... the rich will be able to afford to keep them in their garage or whatever and trailer them to the track with their electric truck. Although towing still has a ways to go with electric, so far all the electric trucks that have been tested for towing range is abysmal. But for enjoyment of driving around a track... I'm having a hard time imagining an EV winning out. I mean faster sure... eventually they'll even get faster in the corners... but I can't imagine one being more fun than an ICE powered car

Biggiesacks Feb 17, 2022 02:27 PM

It's not like there is no future for the modding / competitive community with EV's. The electronics hobby has existed as long as it's been a thing you could do. You might just be replacing a wrench with a soldering iron, and instead of swapping turbos you're swapping circuit boards. If you think there aren't stupid amounts of ways to spend money improving your electronics, you need to go talk to some audiophiles.

Bonus: There are no smog laws, you can go as buck wild as you want.

zeRep85RA Feb 17, 2022 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11949628)
It's not like there is no future for the modding / competitive community with EV's. The electronics hobby has existed as long as it's been a thing you could do. You might just be replacing a wrench with a soldering iron, and instead of swapping turbos you're swapping circuit boards. If you think there aren't stupid amounts of ways to spend money improving your electronics, you need to go talk to some audiophiles.

Hmm do you think if Tesla notices a change they might disable certain features/upgrades?

Due to 'bad faith'

zeRep

Biggiesacks Feb 17, 2022 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA (Post 11949633)
Hmm do you think if Tesla notices a change they might disable certain features/upgrades?

Due to 'bad faith'

zeRep

Definitely, plenty of examples of this type of thing already happening in the electronics industry. Apple is notorious for this type of stuff. I think your question falls into the "Right to Repair" domain. It might seem unrelated, but I think they are closely linked. If OEM's could get away with disabling your cruise control for not using OEM brake pads, they would.

zeRep85RA Feb 17, 2022 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11949641)
Definitely, plenty of examples of this type of thing already happening in the electronics industry. Apple is notorious for this type of stuff. I think your question falls into the "Right to Repair" domain. It might seem unrelated, but I think they are closely linked. If OEM's could get away with disabling your cruise control for not using OEM brake pads, they would.

Supposedly Tesla will disable your seat controls if you mess with them too much in a certain timeframe.

WarmMilk Feb 17, 2022 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11949628)

yeah, but its not like they're lacking in forward thrust... the thing thats missing is driver engagement, how the car feels in turns, rowing/shifting gears, I mean even paddles are a lot more entertaining than just one super long gear

DRAGHICI Feb 17, 2022 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA (Post 11949633)

Due to 'bad faith'

zeRep

its already happening with tesla.
the FSD full self driving is bull****.
it works great!
you pay $12k or $199 a month for it.
if you don’t keep a certain distance when using it, Tesla will remove your full fsd beta and wont care one bit. You have FSD but not fsd beta. Its a night and day difference in performance.
they only give you three strike’s .
yes the software update can also be a removal of software.

DRAGHICI Feb 18, 2022 06:01 AM

I purposely got the car for only one reason and one reason only.
the straight line performance or the one trick pony thing as people say.
Its what i always wanted in a car. Stupid instant speed at any rpm, no waiting just instant speed.
It pulls on 1000cc bikes.
Seriously what else can i ask for in straight line instant speed?
Plus everything else that comes with the car, all the cool stuff is cream!

black_out Feb 18, 2022 07:59 AM

I have just as much fun racing electric karts as I do gas karts (not shifters) and I don't shift either of them, I just enjoy going fast. If that comes without a gear lever or a bunch of noise that's fine with me. I'd never ditch my ICE cars for full electric but there's a place for them (performance wise) and I love every bit of a tire screaming no exhaust 1000hp car. There are very few NEW ICE exhausts that sound good, I'm plagued by straight piped scat packs and open header LT trucks (i own 2 loud LS vehicles btw), the rest of my town is burble tune z cars and hondas and I find just as little enjoyment listening to those.

As far as tesla shutting down features there's always an aftermarket. Damien with openinverter has already showed hacked tesla circuit boards can be utilized and standalone boards have been powering tesla and EV swaps for years. Theres no short supply of programmer and EE enthusiasts willing to pave standalone controls, functions will all be imported into standalone software eventually.

LetsGetThisDone Feb 18, 2022 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by RallySport9 (Post 11949388)
No offence to tesla lovers but but who cares how fast you can go in a straight line. Any car enthusiast is into cars for the many different feelings you get out of it, speed/power is fun but its near the bottom of the list for why I got into cars in the first place. What about corning/handling capabilities? Weight? I watched afew videos of these cars on the circuit and it looks so dangerous going that speed without any engine harmonics to help you feel what the car is doing. There is a huge disconnect, if a robot was operating the car fine, but we are still human beings.

As someone who owns a speed shop, I can 10000% confirm that a ****ing lot of people only care about how fast their car goes in a straight line. You have a serious disconnect from the American performance car enthusiast.

ViciousLSD Feb 18, 2022 09:55 AM

I'm completely sold on EV's but at the weight theyre at I wish for the widest tire clearance. how wide can you go on these?

Terror Rising Feb 18, 2022 11:34 AM

Dusold is running a Plaid with Wilwoods on all 4 at SLB Cota this weekend.

Dallas J Feb 18, 2022 01:49 PM

Yeah, thinking the plaid wont respont to suspension and brake upgraded like any other car is a bit ignorant. It'll be plenty fast on track, a step up from the M3P which is very good already with whats available.

Biggiesacks Feb 18, 2022 02:08 PM

I think the one big thing holding EV's back from total domination right now is the battery tech. Technically, the motors should be able to slow the vehicle as fast as they can accelerate it. The problem is you have to do something with all that energy and the batteries are unable to accept it. Unfortunately, current tech does not allow for the batteries to soak up energy as quickly as they can provide it.* There are probably some other factors involved too, but I think that's the crux of the braking performance not really being what it should be. I've said it before, but I expect solid state batteries to be a game changer in many ways.

* I am no expert, this is just my opinion based on public information I have encountered.

WarmMilk Feb 18, 2022 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI (Post 11949671)
I purposely got the car for only one reason and one reason only.
the straight line performance or the one trick pony thing as people say.
Its what i always wanted in a car. Stupid instant speed at any rpm, no waiting just instant speed.
It pulls on 1000cc bikes.
Seriously what else can i ask for in straight line instant speed?
Plus everything else that comes with the car, all the cool stuff is cream!

just to add to this, when I say one trick pony, I meant from a performance point of view. I mean it can turn but like a normal car, not like anything special. Although I'm curious to see how much the torque vectoring thing improves this... but if you look at the car as a whole, its a 3 trick pony... dragster fast (faster in a lot of cases) in straight line, amazing daily driver, better than any econobox as far as dollar per mile commuting goes.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11949674)
As someone who owns a speed shop, I can 10000% confirm that a ****ing lot of people only care about how fast their car goes in a straight line. You have a serious disconnect from the American performance car enthusiast.

as someone who doesn't own a speed shop I 10000% 2nd this. straightline speed absolutely sells. As someone who is not an "I want all the horsepowers" kinda guy, its amazing the kinda bewildered looks I get when I say I don't care about 0-60 times. Even among car enthusiasts, even among track rats (twisty kind), the vast majority want lots of power...