Notices
Mid-Atlantic Region Includes DC, DE, MD, VA, WV.

Virginia Exhaust Violations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Virginia is pretty bad. Your case is going nowhere though might as well give up now. Just dont drive like a jackass through Virginia and you'll be fine...and dont have your radar detector in the windshield, they hate that. I drive through northern virginia all the damn time in my evo with a Ti Greddy exhaust and noone says anything to me.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt
What are Virginia cops like with out of state motorists? I will be passing through in two months. If it is as bad as everyone makes it out to be, I think I will get my stock exhaust out of storage an put it back on.
I was ticketed around Christmas by a state trooper. MD plates, MD registration, MD license, legal (in MD) exhaust, it didnt matter. The sole reason I was pulled was for the exhaust. I pulled up next to him at a light and accelerated slowly up to the limit, that's when he flew in behind me and flipped on the lights.

I think the chances of you being hassled while just passing through are slim but it's always possible. If you do get a ticket it's $30+$57 court costs.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:08 PM

ive gotten 2 tickets for my exhaust. one was "defective exhaust" and the other was "improper exhaust(loud)". They were only like $80 each so im not too worried
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

i've had about three warnings from my exhaust on my evo (br turboback and br muffler) but never received a ticket. I've had modified VW's for years in VA and never had a problem.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by smittyinva
Wrong. The law states:

"§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order. No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make."

The phrase "...of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle..." makes the ENTIRE law subjective and discretionary which means that any officer can enforce it at thier leisure and as they please.

Thank you for posting your experience. I did not intend to create a debate thread.
a compatiable system is one that meats factory standards but isnt made from the manufactor it comes with a slip that says it meats OEM standards i have had this agurment with many diff cops inculding my Grandfather the only way to legalize a aftermarket exhaust is to take it to the head of the VA state police and have him look at it and say that it is OEM like and your are ok ( which is complete bull**** and impossiable for any aftermarket setup) i have gotten numurous tickets in my tiburon cause its like 130db and i think the ticket is the most pointless ****er in the world cause im not doing anything wrong juss my car is loud and they dont like it it gets really annoying
Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

VA cops are definitely the worst. I got a speeding ticket for 8mph over on my way home from buying the Evo! For a data point to support your profiling theory, my wife drives a 325iT with a UUC Corsa catback that is loud as hell, and she's never been pulled over
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:27 AM

I am an attorney in virginia and have an evo w/ an aftermarket exhaust (and have been pulled over for the exhaust)

its really simple.......never admit the exhaust is not factory..........don't lie about it, just don't answer the questions (ever heard of the 5th amendment ;-))

if you don't admit its aftermarkert, and are willing to go to court and fight it, the judge SHOULD dismiss your case

however, in court you can't testify, 'cause then you are under oath and would have to admit its aftermarket

when the officer is done testifying, tell the judge you move to have the case dismissed for insufficient evidence (ie, they have no evidence it is not a stock or comprable exhaust and they can't prove its louder than stock (what are they going to do, bring a sound clip of a stock evo exhaust in)

but if you admit it is an aftermarket exhaust, that plus the officer's testimony it was loud will get you convicted.

and yes, there is nothing illegal about profiling us 'cause of the cars we drive....

we are not a protected class (age, sex, race, etc.)

now if you want to know what to do in a DUI stop, that is a longer converasation

Last edited by nasa ser; Mar 10, 2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

I was warned the 1st time, the pork was a rookie, told him it was 50 state legal
2nd time cop said why do you have this coffee can on the car and I just laughed. That was when I sold my HKS 30th anniversary, and sporting a Greddy SP 80mm fairfax county police are just dumb and ignorant . Instead of catching theives and robbers, rapist, sex offenders, drug pushers & addicts all they do is pull over shiny cars and hassle them. you know why, because they can't afford it with their 30k salaries , and that is the closest they will ever get to a car.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

here me I got pulled over and got a ticket.... for exhaust
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drift4
I was warned the 1st time, the pork was a rookie, told him it was 50 state legal
2nd time cop said why do you have this coffee can on the car and I just laughed. That was when I sold my HKS 30th anniversary, and sporting a Greddy SP 80mm fairfax county police are just dumb and ignorant . Instead of catching theives and robbers, rapist, sex offenders, drug pushers & addicts all they do is pull over shiny cars and hassle them. you know why, because they can't afford it with their 30k salaries , and that is the closest they will ever get to a car.

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by nasa ser
I am an attorney in virginia and have an evo w/ an aftermarket exhaust (and have been pulled over for the exhaust)

its really simple.......never admit the exhaust is not factory..........don't lie about it, just don't answer the questions (ever heard of the 5th amendment ;-))

if you don't admit its aftermarkert, and are willing to go to court and fight it, the judge SHOULD dismiss your case

however, in court you can't testify, 'cause then you are under oath and would have to admit its aftermarket

when the officer is done testifying, tell the judge you move to have the case dismissed for insufficient evidence (ie, they have no evidence it is not a stock or comprable exhaust and they can't prove its louder than stock (what are they going to do, bring a sound clip of a stock evo exhaust in)

but if you admit it is an aftermarket exhaust, that plus the officer's testimony it was loud will get you convicted.

and yes, there is nothing illegal about profiling us 'cause of the cars we drive....

we are not a protected class (age, sex, race, etc.)

now if you want to know what to do in a DUI stop, that is a longer converasation
lol PM me the DUI stop just for kicks
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by nasa ser
so true. they try so hard to get you to tell them who makes it and whatnot. i just say i bought it used so i dont know. which is funny because i have 2 vishnu stickers on my car... gotta love how that works out.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I got pulled in my Eclipse for the exhaust back in '04 (only time). The cop *****ed and complained about how altered exhausts are illegal in VA and whatnot, even though my car was registered in Kansas (military). He still tried to give me a ticket. But after showing him my military ID and cussing him out without cussing, he left with his tail b/w his legs.

Hey nasa ser, thanks for the info. Once I get an exhaust on my Evo, I'm pretty sure I'll put your advice to good use.
Old May 16, 2006, 02:34 AM

I never had any problems with any exhaust in VA... my Supra was loud as fock but cops never gave me hard time about exhaust although I did get pulled over for stupid things like bluish white bulbs in turn signal(came with the car and didn't bother to change them out...). I guess they indeed are profiling against some cars. Well, if you do get pulled over, just do what nasa ser suggested. I'm gonna be in VA for summer and will be putting on my Greddy Evo2 exhaust on my G, so hopefully I won't have any problems. My car is easily spotted with the bodykit that I recently put on so I'm just crossing my fingers... hehe.
Old May 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drift4
Instead of catching theives and robbers, rapist, sex offenders, drug pushers & addicts all they do is pull over shiny cars and hassle them.
The local governments have been sold the P.C. garbage that cars are inherently "bad". So anything that discourages car ownership is "good". Look at the list: outrageous "personal property" taxes (five times what they charged in "taxachusetts"), traffic lights set so long as to create gridlock on their own, traffic lights not synchronized, appalling road maintenance, and police "harassment" by the creation of harassment laws (window tints, exterior lighting, mufflers, et cetera ad stupido nauseum). And I've never seen so many blind merges in the rest of the world, combined, as I've seen in NoVA.

They've out-sourced traffic management, and as long as the roads look busy while you're in the gridlocked packs, it looks like a "big" (read "expensive") job.

This is the national capital: this whole region is based on getting more revenue to do an increasingly bad job, to make even the simplest jobs look impossible.

Heck, I can't even order a pizza in this area without them messing up the order.

The "political action groups" are shills for developers who know that condo developments on the doorsteps of the metro stations pull far higher prices, above and beyond the already bloated market. So the push is to ban cars and build more metro stations (e.g. Tyson's Corner).

If people think that the bad traffic here is due to volume, we need to send the local government officials to New York City to see how it's done.

And while they're out of town, we can change the locks on their office doors.

What we need are elected officials who know how to drive. But in the shadow of Ted (u-boat commander) K. and co, ...

So the first thing you have to ask yourself is: Did you vote in the last local election?
(Of course, it's not real encouraging that they're using voting machines based on the most hackable O/S on earth.)

Remember that line from "Sin City"? "Once you get people to agree to what they know isn't true, you've got them ..."

See why half the cars parked in my (VA) neighborhood have MD tags on them?

Last edited by DGS; May 21, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Virginia Exhaust Violations