Notices

TC-SST - temp low

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC-SST - temp low

Hello All,
I'm having an issue with my SST EVO MR and I would like to see if anyone else has had the same problem and what they did about it.

From cold the car starts and runs normally for 10 to 15 minutes. If I log data as it warms up and the internal gearbox oil tempture sensor rises slowly until it reachs 56c and then it drops straight to reading -40c and slowly starts to rise again. The gearbox becomes ruff and starts to have issues changing untill it goes into limp mode amount 5 minutes later.

Codes that pop are P0007, P1808 and P2742

P0007 Fuel shutoff Valve A control circuit High (I have changed the fuel pump)
P1808 The two internal Temp sensors are reading more than 20c apart,
P2742, Transmission fluid Temp Sensor "B" circuit low

Has anyway tested or replaced an oil temp sensor in a SST? I'm looking for parts, advice and any photos as to the location before I get the unit opened up.

Thanks All

Last edited by Tippy; Jun 11, 2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

guess taking it in under warrantee is out of the question?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

call ssp,
there cleaning my valvle body right now hopfully it will fix my car lol
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:10 AM

Warranty

Mitsubishi will not warranty the box due to aftermarket oil being used in it. I'm asking them to explain how the type of oil used would cause the wrong voltage to be applied across a sensor. They are getting back to me. One thing I've learnt is the Mitsubishi know nothing about his box.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Tippy, all I can say ATM is that you aren't the only one, by my count I believe there has been 5+ SSTs with none SSTF fluid fail due to the temp sensor, I can't tell you where this info comes from, I'm hoping they will make an official release of their findings, the only common thing thus far is the fluid used. You may be lucky and caught it in time, I have no idea how hard it'll be to replace that sensor but I can try and find the location for you once I get home.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheSin
Tippy, all I can say ATM is that you aren't the only one, by my count I believe there has been 5+ SSTs with none SSTF fluid fail due to the temp sensor, I can't tell you where this info comes from, I'm hoping they will make an official release of their findings, the only common thing thus far is the fluid used. You may be lucky and caught it in time, I have no idea how hard it'll be to replace that sensor but I can try and find the location for you once I get home.

Can you elaborate?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry but at this point I can't, I'm hoping that this info will be out in an official release but they are still compiling data and doing tests. The Temp sensor in the TC-SST is the same on used by VW for the past 2 years.

And as for it's location I believe it's embedded on the TCU which means if it goes it's pretty much a write off.

Basically this is what is being looked at, SSTF has been testing for effects on the Electronics in the TC-SST, aftermarket fluids MAY be causing some damage in those areas. Aftermarket fluids have been tested for the friction on the clutches and wear on the gears, but due to there characteristics at different temps and how they interact with the electronics of the TCU and other parts of the transmission, they may cause other more serious failures. This is all just a theory ATM and is being investigated, all I can say is that the best people for this testing are the ones doing it, I just hope this info becomes public before too many more failures happen.

here are a few pics of the TCU and you can see how exposed and how embedded it really is. These pics aren't mine, I haven't been that deep in yet. But it'll give you an idea, essentially the fluid you use will cover the electronics so it's very important that the fluid be safe for that purpose, also we can now explain why it is so temp sensitive. 240+F on electronics must be insane. I'm pretty sure the casing doesn't fluid fill, but all sensors and wiring to said sensors do for sure. Anyhow I'm hoping to be able to link something official, but till then it's all just hear say, that being said I'm sticking with SSTF till more info on this is known.

Attached Thumbnails TC-SST - temp low-dsc02785.jpg   TC-SST - temp low-dsc02786.jpg   TC-SST - temp low-dsc02793.jpg   TC-SST - temp low-dsc02795.jpg  

Last edited by TheSin; Jun 15, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the additional details, yes I had noticed that VW recalled 13,500 cars that had the gearbox made in the same year as mine. While VW make there own box I could not help but see that the issues is the same, when I try to take off or reverse the car does not move and just flashs the 1 or R display at me once it is at tempture. VW covers this same behavior in there press release resulting in the oil temp sensor needs to be replaced when issue is seen. Nice to see that at least VW deal with the issue where I'm told sorry we cannot help you.

Please let me know as soon as you have any more details.

Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Wow. Glad I used the stock SSTF-1 fluid when I changed my SST fluid.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:14 PM

Good news

I've just got the car back having having the SST replaced under warranty.
It' was a hard fight as Mitsubishi denied my warranty claim but after 4.5 months of going at them they finally realised they where in a losing position legal wise. Sadly during which time the car was off the road. At the end of the day none of my mods effected the TC-SST-ECU and it was the part at fault so they could not deny the claim. In the end I had to get an automotive engineer that specializes in legal verification of issues to review and document my findings so I could submit it to Mitsubishi.

I have to say that without EVOSCAN I would have not been able to check the SST temp and spot it dropping to -40c. Without this I would not have been able to diagnose the issue and point out to Mitsubishi.

Hamish you and your product are GOLD, I'm so thankful that you spend your time making such a useful tool.

Now time to make up for lost driving!
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

awesome news!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
I've just got the car back having having the SST replaced under warranty.
It' was a hard fight as Mitsubishi denied my warranty claim but after 4.5 months of going at them they finally realised they where in a losing position legal wise. Sadly during which time the car was off the road. At the end of the day none of my mods effected the TC-SST-ECU and it was the part at fault so they could not deny the claim. In the end I had to get an automotive engineer that specializes in legal verification of issues to review and document my findings so I could submit it to Mitsubishi.

I have to say that without EVOSCAN I would have not been able to check the SST temp and spot it dropping to -40c. Without this I would not have been able to diagnose the issue and point out to Mitsubishi.

Hamish you and your product are GOLD, I'm so thankful that you spend your time making such a useful tool.

Now time to make up for lost driving!
Congradulation on your win and your perserverance! I am having similar problems (see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...979-p1808.html) I am 95% sure it is the same trans fluid temp sensor failure you had but I have not heard back from the shop (Works Motorsports) doing the diagnosis yet. I have chosen to go another route, although I enjoy a good fight I have not the patience for a 4~5 month battle with Mitsubishi even though their temperature sensor was clearly defective (I am not subscribing to the rumor that this is caused by the electostatic properties of aftermaket SST fluid) and at fault. Instead I have chosen this as an opportunity to rebuild the gearbox using SSP clutches and seals etc., somthing I had planned to do eventually anyway and I will cover the cost personally.

I hope someone comes up with a solution other than replacing the TCU, do we even need the temp sensor? Could it simply be replaced on the TCU circuit board with a resistor? I worry about this recurring after I have fixed it once.

Last edited by kmart888; Sep 14, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:37 PM

Yes Kmart888 you have made all good points, I'm keen to see how you go as I do wonder if the time it took me was worth it. No one is rebuilding box's out here yet and the lack of internal parts means very few people worldwide are in a position to give this ago.

The sad thing is that Volvo use the Ralliart version of the DCT in alot of their cars now and unlike Mitsubishi you can purchase parts like the TCU assembly.

In the area of SST parts I consider Mitsubishi to be very slack as other car companies have been shipping these gearboxes for far less time and already have internal parts out for them.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

im going against mitsu as soon as my car is on the road.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
Yes Kmart888 you have made all good points, I'm keen to see how you go as I do wonder if the time it took me was worth it. No one is rebuilding box's out here yet and the lack of internal parts means very few people worldwide are in a position to give this ago.

The sad thing is that Volvo use the Ralliart version of the DCT in alot of their cars now and unlike Mitsubishi you can purchase parts like the TCU assembly.

In the area of SST parts I consider Mitsubishi to be very slack as other car companies have been shipping these gearboxes for far less time and already have internal parts out for them.
I have read, on the forums, that Mitsubishi has internal TC-SST parts available, but for some reason they still maintain the box is a "non serviceable item", Truth or fiction? I dunno this is the internet after all. SSP certainly has some rebuild capability and seeing as they are the de rigor vendor of DCT parts and service I am putting my trust in them.

Still no word on what the diagnosis scan of my box showed, stay tuned.

Quick Reply: TC-SST - temp low