Notices

Ralliart SST Grind on Startup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
ltn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart SST Grind on Startup

Hey guys I'm a newer member of this borad and I just wanted to say has helped me out a lot. I did have a question on the SST Trans. I have already posted this in the Ralliart section but I thought I would post it here as this is the SST section. Also, I would like to thank everyone in the RA section who chimed in.

I have noticed on startup the transmission makes a lound grinding noise like when you miss a shift in a manual trans. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. If so, What did you do to fix it? I think it is the clutches not dissengaging when the car is turing off. I have included a few videos so you can see what I mean. The first video happened early this week or last week and the second on happened today. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqZlxVO12W4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6VOkAzZY-Q
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

That's not normal!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

do you try to engage the gear right away after start-up? It's probably a good idea to let it idle for 4 or 5 minutes. Anyways I would take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:09 AM
ltn

No I don't even touch anything when I turn the car on. I literally turn the key and let it go and it makes that sound within the first second of starting up. It actually did it again today.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Definitely take it to the dealer. That doesn't sound good.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure it's not a belt or something slipping?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
ltn

The sound is definitely metal or something and it is not a belt slipping.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 03:26 AM

Sorry to bump up an old thread.
Have you ever get it fix? Did they tell you what cause the grinding noice?.My X start doing the same thing and I am so worry about it.
It only happens if let the car sit overnight, and only happen at the first start when it's around 60F or below.
Any info would be really helpful before taking it back to the dealer, thank you!

Last edited by sum0325; Nov 9, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The best advice I recall from the people with this issue was to drive your vehicle to the dealer with a view to leaving it there overnight. Then plan a "first start" early the next morning, with you present.

If your SST gets all coy about it, or only makes the noise sometimes, you may have to have more than one crack at it!

Rich
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone found a solution or at least an explanation to this problem yet? I see 4 threads in this area with the same description of the problem, but no solutions, other than press on the brake while starting.

I *just* bought a used 2009 Lancer Ralliart, and am having this problem, and would like to know what the issue is. The dealership I bought it from offered a 1 month, 1000 mile warranty, so if there is a issue, I'd like it taken care of under warranty.

Thanks for any advice!

P.S. I've contacted a local Mitsubishi dealer to get their thoughts on it too, but rarely trust a dealership over real world experience.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd definitely be leaning towards warranty. It's not a normal noise. And I'd be focused on trying to reproduce the grindy noise in the presence of the dealer (but that can be easier said than done if it's intermittent).

Rich
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:48 AM
ltn

Hi, I had my trang replaced by the dealer because it was not normal. I know my tranny grinded when it was cold on start up. Make sure to do it in the presence of the dealer because they won't replace it if they don't see it. I had two videos and they still said no. Kind of bs because even though I had proof. Best advice I can give you is if you have another car, girl friend, family etc that can pick you up and drop you off in the morning. Leave the car over night and first thing in the morning go there and start it up in front of them and pray it does it. Just make sure to note to them not to start or move your car if you decide to leave the keys in the over night box. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Geoff
Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:10 PM

If anyone still interested - fix is here - read TSB, use newer cff files.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...lU&usp=sharing
Old Jul 27, 2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by MashX
If anyone still interested - fix is here - read TSB, use newer cff files.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...lU&usp=sharing
I have a 2011 Ralliart and this happened to me once 2 weeks ago but haven't since then. Do I need to have an update? I keep asking my dealership already to do a transmission relearn but they keep saying multiple mechanics checked it out and said it's not needed.

Can I just command them to do it? I'm on all stock parts except for Cobb Stage 1 tune. Thanks for your input ahead of time!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:58 AM

Apologies if this has been asked before, I am new to the Forum's.
Has anyone confirmed what the exact issue is with the SST grind on cold start? Mine started some months ago, and follows this sequence:-

Start engine in park with handbrake engaged.
2-3 clicks can heard from SST, and then a grind as though trying to go into gear, car also lurches forward ever so slightly as the gear is engaged. Turn it off and try again and no Grind. Gearbox performs without issue after initial grind after being left overnight. Outside temperature seems to have no effect as it happened in all sorts of temperatures (even at 30 Deg, unheard of in Manchester)

I have read numerous threads on SST flash updates from Mitsubishi, I had mine in the main dealer a couple of weeks ago for service to include SST oil and filter change (£600 ). Informed them of the issue, on picking the car up they advise they had raised it as a tech question with Mitsubishi support and they reported a software update was available, and they had installed the update.

Car seemed to perform ok for over a week with no grinding at all, then it returned to a daily event when left overnight. I tried the SST in all different positions when starting and non made a difference.

I have read the issue could be related to synchro grind on second gear select, but is this a synchro issue, a Mechatronic issue, a sensor position issue, an oil pressure issue???

What I have discovered is either of the following actually prevents the grind, but I think this is just a work around to prevent further damage until I can get it resolved properly.

Method 1
With the SST in park, I start the engine and immediately turn it off again, then when I restart I do not get the grind.

Method 2
My driveway is on a slight incline up to the house, in the morning I turn the ignition on but do not start the engine, I place the SST in 'R', and allow the car to roll back in gear 2-3 feet, I then place the SST in 'D' and again allow the car to roll back a further 2-3 feet in gear, I then place the SST in 'P' and start the car normally, hey presto no grinding noise.

I am looking at UK third parties to have the problem solved, but want to know what the issue is so I know they are going down the right path, don't want to spend £1.5K only to have the same issue still present afterwards.

Any input would be appreciated.

For info: Evo X, SST, FQ300, 36K Miles, full Mitsubishi main dealer service history.

Quick Reply: Ralliart SST Grind on Startup