Notices

Evo X 2010 and 2011 - did they get rid of lag?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X 2010 and 2011 - did they get rid of lag?

Looking at buying an Evo X to replace my Ralliart...

Has anyone driven a 2008 Evo X or Ralliart 2009 and then gone to the Evo X 2010+ TC-SST?

I am wondering whether they got rid of the horrible lag when you start off in first gear?
Old May 6, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

nope. lag is still there. but just last week the tuning gurus figured out a fix.

now a tune will fix this issue

Edit: Here is the link to the thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ter-found.html
Old May 7, 2011, 05:21 AM

The lag is still there.
Old May 7, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

It's horrible. You can sit there flooring the gas and quickly releasing over and over again. The transmission lags so much the car doesnt even move.
Old May 7, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ralliartblitz
It's horrible. You can sit there flooring the gas and quickly releasing over and over again. The transmission lags so much the car doesnt even move.
click the thread up top. I had my 1st gear limiter set to all 100% and shoots out of the line instantly. I love it. Best part of my tune yet. I just couldnt stand that delay.

by the way, i just did a launch this morning to test if i would get a slow down message but nothing. 4k launch though. Will try 5k eventually. The take off literally pushes you back to your seat lol.
Old May 7, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Just reading through the thread...I actually currently have a 2009 Ralliart which razorlab says does not have this limiter...and it lags :S
Old May 7, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliartblitz
Just reading through the thread...I actually currently have a 2009 Ralliart which razorlab says does not have this limiter...and it lags :S
Yeah, there is definitely an SST-related delay when you're totally stationary, and then wish to "stomp-and-go". I've done quite a bit of logging and messing around with this, and it is down to the time taken for the vehicle to bring the revs up to the point of "clutch engagement".

It's worse when you think you want to go hard and immediately... because you put the pedal to the floor.

The ECU seems to choose a "revs at which clutch will engage" based on the throttle application - more throttle = higher revs.

That's why it seems to have a lag when you really don't want it, eg. trying to cross traffic, enter traffic, jump off the line immediately.

You can drive around it in a couple of ways...
  1. Put foot to floor, then pull it back some. The first action will get the revs off idle ASAP. The second action effectively chooses your moment of clutch engagement - as soon as you back off, the ECU will go, "oh, okay"... and you'll start moving. OR...
  2. Left-foot brake, rev very briefly (stab), then brake-off as you throttle on. The revs will already be up at "clutch engagement" point, and you go.
When you think about it, all you're really doing is the same thing any manual driver does... raise revs in advance, and let the clutch out when you actually want to go.

The SST-based Evo/RA isn't a mind-reader - it obviously can't raise revs before you perform any action. Only you know when you're "about" to need to go hard. So some pre-emptive action is required on your part... slightly prior to the instant you actually want to enter/cross traffic. Get the revs off "idle" first, and you'll be right when you want to go.

Ah, super-smart transmissions... so fiddly and dumb. But a riot to drive, once you get used to it...

Rich
Old May 9, 2011, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Oscillating the accelerator pedal will help with this somewhat once you get the technique down.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

From what I've read the '11s eliminated the TPS limiter but put a boost limiter in place for 1st gear.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
is this behavior the same in all three (normal/sport/ssport) modes?
Old May 9, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
is this behavior the same in all three (normal/sport/ssport) modes?
For the '10 it seems to affect normal and sport. Haven't tried SSport. Off the line definitely is affected until boost kicks in, then it MOVES. I've said it before, I don't know how the rest of you all's cars are, but I genuinely DON'T think mine has the TPS limiter in place. Mine was also built in June of '10 so I guess it's POSSIBLE that mine has some features of the '11 in place in terms of removing the TPS limiter. Don't have any proof or knowledge of it though, or experience to know what "normal" should feel like. I do feel like my Cobb stage 2 03 WRX would have spanked my X off the line, though....

OT: I wonder If I'll get the "340 of 340" tag with my letter.....
Old May 9, 2011, 07:58 AM
EvoM Guru

the TPS limitter has nothing todo with initial input lag...

let me know about SSport - coz I have 3 maps that affect throttle ramp up rates, and SSport is set to 100%, but normal/sport are much less...
Old May 9, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

the TPS limitter has nothing todo with initial input lag...

let me know about SSport - coz I have 3 maps that affect throttle ramp up rates, and SSport is set to 100%, but normal/sport are much less...
Hm. Only went WOT in SSport/1st once, won't be doing that again for a while (went well over 5k break in limit by accident...acceleration was that fast once boost hit). I can try it in 2nd/3rd if that helps.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

I'm not talking about WOT, I'm talking about the initial lag when setting off in first...

I thought that is what this thread is about..?
Old May 9, 2011, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not talking about WOT, I'm talking about the initial lag when setting off in first...

I thought that is what this thread is about..?
Yes, you hit the gas and then you wait about 1/3 of a second before the car actually moves.

Quick Reply: Evo X 2010 and 2011 - did they get rid of lag?