Notices

S-Sport In Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-Sport In Manual Mode

Im usually always in manual mode, and Ive noticed there's a considerable improvement in responsiveness, and quicker shift times in S-Sport mode, as apposed to Normal and Sport mode. So needless to say, Im always in S-Sport mode.

My question is, is there any DISADVANTAGE to using S-Sport all the time? Does it cause any more wear on the trans than normal or Sport mode?

If not, why wouldn't the car be set up to always shift quickly while in manual mode, regardless of the shift mode you're in? Instead of the slight shift lag you get in normal and Sport mode.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too drive my car is ssport mode all the time. It all depends on how you drive when in different modes. If I were to drive in normal, and plant it, during gear changes I have terrible slip because the car takes its time to shift, and I am running tons of boost. If I am in ssport mode and drive really slowly and change gear, I sometimes get a harsh change as if the clutch just bitt and gripped really hard. Both are not good outcomes for your gearbox longevity. You have to look at which one causes most damage. Again, I think the car drives better in ssport mode, and produces less slip, which is one of the major killers of the tcsst. For me it's ssport
Old Oct 31, 2013, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know normal mode keeps the rpm's as low as reasonably possible most of the time - basically any time you're not flooring it. That would help gas mileage, but if you're shifting manually you could do that yourself. I think it would be hard to gauge if using super-sport mode all of the time would wear down the TC-SST faster than using normal. It's debatable.

I'm almost always in normal letting the TC-SST shift automatically in my daily driving. I only use sport or s-sport in spirited driving.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Less slip=longer clutch life and reduced operating temps.

S-Sport is least slip (for 'spirited' driving)
Normal is most slip (for driving 'comfort')

Drive in the mode which is comfortable for you and yields least slip for longer life.

Me? I find Sport / manually shifted is *best*.
S-Sport for when i feel 'challenged' by the vehicle next to me at the light (which, frankly is just not that often!! )
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:43 PM

Drove the car the first 750 miles in Normal/Auto mode...coming from a 6 speed manual 400whp/450wtq 135I, I was bored.

Switched to S-Sport/Manual mode to try it out. Lets just say I always put it in s-sport/manual as soon as I get in the car now. It feels a lot more responsive and fun ALL the time.

My STI and 135I were responsive, fun, harsh, all of the time. So why shouldn't the Evo be fun all the time?

Plus less slip is better. I don't notice any of this "super rough" shifting, it feels great!

Last edited by Doberzus; Nov 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Not to bring up old news but I like s-sport mode as well but isn't that hard on motor mounts?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:52 PM

I usually just leave it in sport mode and be done with it. Normal mode mimics a torque converter trans too much, and super sport feels harsh when driving normally, but super-sport somehow feels less harsh if you shift under WOT. Sport mode provides a good compromise.

Super sport definitely would be hard on the motor mounts especially going from 1st to 2nd, feels really jarring and you can hear the tc-sst clink and clunk super hard through all the gears. I only use super-sport if I decide to WOT.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got my MR this weekend and I'm still getting in-tune with how the SST behaves. I have had it in NORMAL mode most of the time due to city (stop-and-go) driving and I've noticed the 'clinking and clunking' when slowing down and it goes from 3rd > 2nd > 1st. It's not really loud or anything, sounds pretty much like if you had a full manual tranny and were shifting back into first. Not sure if anyone else has noticed or if this is just normal. Again, i'm still learning the nuances of this setup. All stock, btw...

Edit: I haven't tried S-Sport yet, though I did try Sport and that was a lot of fun. Waiting on a more open road...don't want a ticket for 100 in a 35!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:20 AM

That's just your car downshifting, get a cat-back and enjoy it
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedlife
I just got my MR this weekend and I'm still getting in-tune with how the SST behaves. I have had it in NORMAL mode most of the time due to city (stop-and-go) driving and I've noticed the 'clinking and clunking' when slowing down and it goes from 3rd > 2nd > 1st. It's not really loud or anything, sounds pretty much like if you had a full manual tranny and were shifting back into first. Not sure if anyone else has noticed or if this is just normal. Again, i'm still learning the nuances of this setup. All stock, btw... Edit: I haven't tried S-Sport yet, though I did try Sport and that was a lot of fun. Waiting on a more open road...don't want a ticket for 100 in a 35!
If it's stock put it in s-sport lift throttle in second gear and listing to the engine sound "ssswwwwiiiirrrrlllll".
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

just to weight in I bought my car used from the UK. I have it five months now. I was told the tranny was serviced just before it was shipped. After about a month i realised that in third gear the rev metre would just up and down from 1000 rpm to 3000 rpm. About two weeks ago I was told by the guys on evoxforum that i should try and drive the car in Super Sport mode and see if I have any changes in the transmission. I did so and it's as if God waved a magic won and out in a brand new transmission in the car. Because I now have smooth shifting through all gears. For me Super Sport mode is the way to go Less slippage and less heating, better shifting and better performance.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:23 AM

I usually just manually shift it in normal mode. If you're not at the track then why would you need to have it shift faster? If im entering the highway i put it on sport so i can merge going at speed. I too manual shift daily. The car has 75,xxx miles on it. Modded with bolt ons and tune. I've had the car since 39,xxx miles. I havent had my clutch slip yet, or have had any other problems.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mystykalbaby
If it's stock put it in s-sport lift throttle in second gear and listing to the engine sound "ssswwwwiiiirrrrlllll".
Good call I'm going to try that. Yes it's stock besides a k&n drop in filter. It's my second turbocharged car and I have missed the feel and the sounds of it.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Until the transmission temperature exceeds 60C, it should be operated in normal or S mode. SSport and the other modes have totally different programming regarding closed loop operation that will effect warm up time on the transmission. Operating the transmission outside of its correct temperature range is detrimental to clutch life.
The following users liked this post:
yozo (Jan 6, 2020)
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:28 AM

So, in other words, don't cold start the car and throw it in SSport, correct?

Quick Reply: S-Sport In Manual Mode