Notices

Revhunting fix?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revhunting fix?

I believe i read, way back, that the revhunting might sort it self out, if you trigger a "relearning" on the clutch brains. Not that i can find it now that i finally managed to buy a OP2. Anyone has a pointer or two on this?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 07:19 AM

Oooookay. Guess people moved on from here...
Anyway, i guess i figured it out.
Seems you need the Mitsubishi software "PassThroughCan", or, as known by the shortcut on the "cars laptop" PTCAN.
I apparently had, not only read about it, but also stored away some PDF with info on it, as well as the software. It was something of a PITA to install, ended up using mklink to let the software use its hardcoded path to access its file, where Microsoft decided they should live.

I will try and actually trigger the "PassThru CAN Teach-in" tomorrow, or the next day. Simply since i'm in a loaner today. (Family reasons, not car issues.)
Old Apr 29, 2018, 06:46 PM

Well. Been dealing with this for days now. Thought it was an issue with the install, and so ended up first installing virtual box, and finally digging out an old laptop, and returning it to windows XP so it had a true 32 bit OS, and PassThrou keeps claiming the same thing. It cant find some file when it goes to do the teach-in. So, at this point i don't know what to do...

Do i need an older / newer version software? Apparently i have version 3.1.0.
Old May 2, 2018, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
What did you change in the clutch to need a teach in? Are you using OEM fluid or some after market like Pentosyn?
Old May 2, 2018, 04:11 PM

Me? Nothing. It's been revhunting ever since i got it from the dealer, but then again, there has been 3 earlier owners on it, so what they did... no idea.
I got all the fluids changed by the mitsubishi dealer when i bought it, and then i did it again when it was time for service, just in the hope that it would sort the rev-hunting out. Both times with OEM fluids.
It's pretty much non-resistant after longer drives, but at least a couple of 100 rpm's up and down when ever i'm coasting, and haven't been driving for half an hour or more.
It is also rather rough when engaging first gear from a standstill, as long as it hasn't been thoroughly driven warm.

At this point i'm pretty much just hoping that a teach-in would sort it out, but the reality is... No idea. It could just as well be time for a clutch rebuild. Sounds cheap. I'd like to do a teach-in prior, since that should be cheaper.
Old May 3, 2018, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
You are a Ralliart, correct?

If so - the Rev Hunt is for RAs that have been upgraded with MR software to get Launch Control and S-Sport.
When a RA is upgraded to MR sw it introduces a minor rev hunt at ~2K rpms (most noticable in 6th gear). The gear ratios between a MR and a RA TC-SST are slightly different. The computer makes minor adjustments to "resolve" the disparity it "sees"...

Good news! It does NOT indicate impending failure! No action required.
Old May 3, 2018, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
You are a Ralliart, correct?
Indeed.

If so - the Rev Hunt is for RAs that have been upgraded with MR software to get Launch Control and S-Sport.
When a RA is upgraded to MR sw it introduces a minor rev hunt at ~2K rpms (most noticable in 6th gear). The gear ratios between a MR and a RA TC-SST are slightly different. The computer makes minor adjustments to "resolve" the disparity it "sees"...
Since i know nothing, well, very little, of the history on the vehicle, i have no idea. I haven't found a way to turn on S-Sport, but then again i haven't been looking, since i don't intend to use launch control. Hell, i can't even say if there was MR firmware on the gearbox, and it was reverted to stock, and that causes the revhunting, and jerky shifting in to first. (And since i don't really have anything to compare it to, the jerky shifting may very well just be the standard behavior, and nothing weird that either. I know it's sort of harsh at all times. And IF i t ever gets enough run time to work up proper temperatures, and i give it the whole right foot, it shifts like a dream.)

Good news! It does NOT indicate impending failure! No action required.
As it stands it just feels... wrong, and i wanted to "try something" rather then just doing nothing. If it comes to it, i'll buy a motor & gearbox combo from a wrecked EvoX, and start looking for a way to make a swap, once something breaks. Leave it to the pro's to fix the parts, and have a new set of spares laying on a pallet for the future, so to speak. There is no shortage of used parts, but it seems like most are from Evo X's from 08-09, with a fair bit of mileage, so if i don't "have to" run out and buy one just for the heck of it, i'd rather wait until i find something with the right mileage, and cost, and store those for "when it happens". But i fully expect to have to replace one or the other, sooner or later.

Bottom line i guess is that i just wanted to have it working, and knowing i had it working, even if i don't expect it to be "holy crap things are about to explode right now" at this point. Finally got the OP2, so i could start looking in to things, and this was sort of second on my list. First was asking Tephra if my ROM would work with his v3 mod, but i couldn't even figure out what my ROM ID was, so i just sent him the 1MB file the software stored as a copy of my ROM, and asked what he thought. No response, so i suppose i should bother him again. I need to know, if i'm going to go forward with the E85 flexifuel conversion.