EVO X SST in U.K.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
Mitsubishi "Did You Spill My Pint?!"

I don't get your quote....
That's a quote from Jeremy Clarkson. He says (On the Subaru Impreza WRX STi & Mitsubishi EVO VIII) "You know what these cars should be called like? The Mitsubishi 'Did you spill my pint?', and the Subaru 'You. Outside. NOW'."
Video of the show here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNjbsjAZ8k
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mywave
I think you off by another $10k, its actually $58k+ 1 pound equals $1.95 US
I guess the converter i used wasnt up to date or something. WHat ever...its a lot, for an EVO.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by porque
Isn't it true that jobs pay the same in both countries, i.e. a position that pays $30k in the US pays £30k in the UK? So it's all basically the same, unless you go from one country to the other.
I'm not really sure TBH. I think you may be right - as in we over here earn more and everything costs more. I think it must be relative.

I sure hope we are not gettin ripped off in the UK, everything is so expensive (or so it seems) compared to you guys in the US and other places around the world

I would like to compare prices on some other cars with you guys to see if its true and not just a big difference on the evo price from the UK and USA.

How much does a BMW 335i coupe SE - base model cost (no options) in $'s?

Over here it costs £36,160

Another thing is petrol, how much do you get taxed in $'s per litre of petrol?

In the UK we get taxed in total a whopping 70%!!

1 litre of petrol costs around £1 (its actually a little more than a pound ) - so like 70p of that is tax!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by EVOBOYUK
lol. I'm from the UK, and like it been said before by me and others from the UK. We pay a hell of a lot for our cars. A base evo x is close to £30,000! From what I have heard, you lot are paying like around $32-34000! So its only fair we get the nice badge!
The reason the car cost more is because you pay VAT in europe and England. Also trying to convert GBP to USD is not really relevent. Now convert both currency to JPY and you'll see just how much you are getting ripped-off in England.

30K GBP = JPY 6,310,749.27

$36k(avg EVO X GSR cost) USD = JPY 3,878,091.97

So even though the GBP is worth 210.385 JPY (as of 19/02/08) and the USD is worth 107.725 JPY, you still pay almost twice as much for the EVO X than it would cost in the US. But this is due to the VAT and not the conversion of currency.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by porque
Isn't it true that jobs pay the same in both countries, i.e. a position that pays $30k in the US pays £30k in the UK? So it's all basically the same, unless you go from one country to the other.
No.

I'm a Brit living in the USA, and I can definitely say that jobs do not pay double in the UK - cars just cost up to 2x more.

What does the lettering say below SST on the right?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
No.

I'm a Brit living in the USA, and I can definitely say that jobs do not pay double in the UK - cars just cost up to 2x more.

I am a brit living in USA too and I cant ever go back to living in england.... Too expensive...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are mini coopers any cheaper there?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
FQ-300
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_X
The reason the car cost more is because you pay VAT in europe and England. Also trying to convert GBP to USD is not really relevent. Now convert both currency to JPY and you'll see just how much you are getting ripped-off in England.

30K GBP = JPY 6,310,749.27

$36k(avg EVO X GSR cost) USD = JPY 3,878,091.97

So even though the GBP is worth 210.385 JPY (as of 19/02/08) and the USD is worth 107.725 JPY, you still pay almost twice as much for the EVO X than it would cost in the US. But this is due to the VAT and not the conversion of currency.
Its nothing to do with the VAT. Its to do with greedy bloody multi nationals! We get shafted for everything from Cars to TVs to Houses to Petrol. Everything here costs more for no bloody reason. Except Doc Martens boots which we seem to rob you with

VAT is 17.5% that doesnt equate to nearly $25,000 difference! We get ripped off by motor companies and tehy know we will pay it because we are mugs.

As for wages, no I dont think the average person getting paid $30k US will be paid £30k in the UK. Not even close. And when you put Road tax and the phenomenal price of fuel on top I think you will quite happily accept your crappy Evo badge and let us pay through the nose for soemthing Im going to remove when the car arrives anyway!!

Rant over
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by kidneythief13
Are mini coopers any cheaper there?
I dont know what your prices are but I can safely say. Not a ****ing chance They would work out at roughly $30k US over here
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

^ I just thought they might be cheaper, since they are made in the UK. Base Mini is about $18k here.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
I am a brit living in USA too and I cant ever go back to living in england.... Too expensive...
Too right! If I sold up and moved to the US Id be a millionaire living quite comfortably. As it stands in the UK Im fighting to pay my mortgage each month. But it dont worry me enough NOT to buy an X
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:33 PM

When did u guys move to the US from the UK? We sure do get ripped off in the UK! Don't know why we have to pay so much tax! I would consider moving to the US or maybe Canada.

Well might as well get over it as there is nothing I can do now besides wait for my overpriced Evo X GSR FQ 360 and maybe have a few 's to forgot how bad the people in the UK have it
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

^ At least you guys have government health insurance.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by kidneythief13
^ I just thought they might be cheaper, since they are made in the UK. Base Mini is about $18k here.
A Base MINI One which is the bottom model with no extras, costs £11,915 = $23,215 US. I dont know where its made but if we make it here and have to ship it to you and change the driver side yet it costs more to us. Go figure

Quick Reply: EVO X SST in U.K.