Notices

SST temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST temp gauge

I want to use an AEM trans temp gauge. I'm trying to confirm what adapter drain plug I need. I've read online that the drain plug is m16 x 1.5, but what does the inside diameter and pitch of the adapter need to be to fit the temp sensor? Is the temp sensor size and pitch dependent on the brand (AEM, Defi ect.) or is it a standard size?

I found this: http://www.optionsauto.com/prodinfo....er=TP-16400721

Will this work with the AEM sensor? I'm sure there are guys out there who have done this that can chime in. I don't want to drain my fluid only to find out I bought the wrong adapter. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

I answered my own question. I found the adapter I needed and on the site with the adapter I found a really good price on an auto-meter trans gauge. I got everything I needed for $100.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, looks like I'll be calling tomorrow to change my order. I found another model that will activate my fan once the temp I set is reached.

Auto Meter 3658 - Auto Meter Sport-Comp II Pro-Control Analog Gauges
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got an AMS Trans Cooler and while it is nice that it always turns on to keep airflow over the core, I would rather have it only kick on when it is over 150*F to let the trans fluid get up to operating temp. I don't see a reason to have yet another fan spinning if it is keeping it at 100*F instead of 120*F while cruising on the highway.

The real reason I got the upgraded cooler was to keep the 250*F temps away and hopefully only operate in the 150-200*F range when pushing the car. Do you know if it has a white gauge face to swap in so that it can match my 0-35 psi boost gauge?

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 19, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I just got an AMS Trans Cooler and while it is nice that it always turns on to keep airflow over the core, I would rather have it only kick on when it is over 150*F to let the trans fluid get up to operating temp. I don't see a reason to have yet another fan spinning if it is keeping it at 100*F instead of 120*F while cruising on the highway.

The real reason I got the upgraded cooler was to keep the 250*F temps away and hopefully only operate in the 150-200*F range when pushing the car. Do you know if it has a white gauge face to swap in so that it can match my 0-35 psi boost gauge?
The particular gauge I bought doesn't, it's black but there are other gauges with that feature. It's called "pro control". I would look at autometer's web site and see if you can find one with a white face. I wanted to try to match the dash gauges so I went with the black/white and silver bezel. If you can't find one by autometer I would assume they aren't the only company with this technology. Also check this out:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...an_Accessories

paired with this:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...an_Accessories

The fan controller varies the speed of the fan based on the temps you set. The sensor can be ran through the drain bolt just like your gauge sensor. The only downside is you have to set the temps by getting the trans (or engine, since it's designed for radiator fans) to the desired temp which would require a gauge or data logging. I thought about it but went with the easier solution. The post about fitting a fan just below this post has a nice fan controller but I'm not sure how you'd run the sensor.

I agree with you that running the fan constantly seems strange. If nothing else, I would just mount a switch (maybe in the black next to the ASC OFF button) and just turn the fan on when needed. Good luck and let me know what you find!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

I've decided to just go with a mechanical temp switch to control my fan and later get the evoscan to monitor temps. It's a better solution in the long run.