Notices
Modern Automotive Performance [Visit Site]

Question for experts on QM V drive twin disc

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for experts on QM V drive twin disc

I recently replaced my worn friction discs with brand new ones but clutch is still slipping under lots of load (3rd gear roll ons and up/sometimes second). Is it possibly because I didnt replace the pressure and floater plates? If so its a cheap fix just lots of labor. Car is running an fp red and 2.3 stroker, AEM EMS and tuned on E-85. Flywheel looked fine. It is a clean slip not a wheel hop slip which is generally associated with worn friction discs. Don't want to have to dig into this again for a while so I am hoping someone has some ideas...also is there only one kind of pressure plate? I heard rumor there is an HD version. Car makes a ton of power but I am not able to enjoy it fully. Please help so I am not doubling up on work. Clutch jobs are a PITA on evos!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Its very possible the floater and pressure plate are warped enough to keep the clutch from fully engaging but my guess is the center hubs need to be machined. If you have an older twin disc when the floater wears down with the disc the center hubs will touch in the middle. If this is the case the friction material will not be able to come in contact 100% with the plates and cause slipping.

I would pop it back out and take a look at everything, and more specifically look at the hubs and see if they were hitting. If they were, take it to a machinist and have them take about .050 off each one.

Another issue is if you had anything turned or machined down, it will have to be performed to the clutch basket as well and you will have to add a shim or two to the TOB.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the quick response. We already had the hub shaved .060 on brand new friction discs. I watched Jake mongomery dicover this when he took my old discs, had them milled and got like another 10,000 miles out of a 700+hp car lol! Just bought the discs in August. Fly wheel was fine and it is got very low miles so nothing has been machined down....fly wheels don't seem to take much of a beating with twin discs. So it seems I should replace the pressure and floater plate then Oh boy another 8 hours of knuckle busting coming soon lol. I will get a hold of you soon for these parts...damn it! Thanks adam
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds good, shoot me an email when your ready!

adam@maperformance.com
Old Nov 1, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

ready for those damn plates....I'll be damned if I get caught with my pants down again to a Porsche!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Sent you an email back!