Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing helmet questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2002, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing helmet questions

For those of you who race what helmet do you use? What helmet is required for SCCA racing. Do you prefer open or closed face? Do you have a brand or model that you like? I need this info as I am drag racing at the track this weekend and will be into the 13s 1/4 mile and one is required. I would like to just get one for both but I'm not sure what is required. I see the WRC guys using open face helmets so I guess a closed face helmet is not a reruirement. TIA
Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

I personally prefer the closed face for the extra safety. I don't like the idea of hitting an air bag or steering wheel with my face.
I also will get one with the Nomex lining, since most major events (like Road Racing schools) require that.
That combination costs a lot, but it is worth it for your safety.

I plan on getting the Simpson Bandit N in a few weeks.

I think rally racers use the open face mostly for communication reasons (if the headsets break).
Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:28 PM

You need a helmet for 13s? That's unusual.

Anyway, you need an SA rated helmet (not M, they are not fire retardant). Any up-to-date SA helmet will be SCCA approved, altho drag racing isn't SCCA but I'm sure the helmet will be more than adeqaute. I also prefer the closed face for safety reasons. Try it on before you buy it, go to a local motorcycle shop or something, don't buy one over the Net unless you've already tried it on, they can be ungodly uncomfortable.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I drove up to Simpson today and bought a Super Voyager w/ the nomex. Yeah out here the rules are 13.99 or faster you need a helmet, 12.99 3 point harness and 11.99 roll bar. I guess ins. is ***** but at least we have a place to do it. Thanks again.