Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Off Season update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Off Season update

Several people have asked what im doing to the car this off season so I figured Id make a quick post. First, thanks to the evo community for supporting CJ and me this year, its great having you guys behind us. The scca is going to restrict us again this year with another 30hp restrictor, this will be 60hp in two years they are pulling from us. They are going to give us more spring rate, front and rear sway bars and 9 inch rims and 275 tires. For Heartland Park Topeka (home of the past 3 runoffs) I think it would be a good deal for us, but the next three years are at Road America so Im not so sure, I think Id rather have the power.

So to kick off the tweaking, I drove the car to AMS this week, thats 1500 miles round trip. I guess its kinda cool that the evo can still be street legal!! I was gonna trailer it but I figured Id be better driving in the snow than towing it on my trailer. The car ran beautifully. Id like to add that Im extremely impressed that my IX now has over 17k on it, mostly track miles and the engine has never been touched, thats some great tuning!!

So AMS is going to put the sways on and retune the car with the restrictor and other general tweaks to get her ready for next season. Ill be ordering the springs and new wheels and tires soon. I also have to get some of the minor body damage fixed, if anyone knows of a deal deal on this please let me know.

So thanks to the sponsors for a great season where we ended up winning the SCCA's NE Division with 5 first place finishes and placing 4th in the Runoffs.

Marty
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck in the upcoming season!!!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
9 inch wide wheels for 275's - that sucks, they should at least give you 9.5's.

So you had to run without swaybars before, what rates were you allowed then and what are you moving to. How do they enforce the HP limit, with a restriction on the turbo inlet? If so what size is it?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
9 inch wide wheels for 275's - that sucks, they should at least give you 9.5's.

So you had to run without swaybars before, what rates were you allowed then and what are you moving to. How do they enforce the HP limit, with a restriction on the turbo inlet? If so what size is it?
We had to run stock swaybars when pretty much every car in the class was allowed aftermarket or special factory bars. Up until this season we had to run stock springs but they gave us 300 fr and 330 rear for 08, it looks like we are getting 500 fr and 700 rear for the up coming season. Yea, they gave us a turbo inlet restrictor 42.5 this year and it looks like 41mm for the 09 season. AMS put a nice scca handling package together that looks like it will be approved.

Marty
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

are they going to restric the solstice any? That dude is running amuck.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Galant VR-4 #34
We had to run stock swaybars when pretty much every car in the class was allowed aftermarket or special factory bars. Up until this season we had to run stock springs but they gave us 300 fr and 330 rear for 08, it looks like we are getting 500 fr and 700 rear for the up coming season. Yea, they gave us a turbo inlet restrictor 42.5 this year and it looks like 41mm for the 09 season. AMS put a nice scca handling package together that looks like it will be approved.

Marty
With those new rates the stock sways would actually do OK I think. I've always been a fan of more spring and less bar. I run close to those rates (8K/10K). I don't have as much rear rate as that, and my 25mm rear bar is kinda too much, I'm stock up front. I have it on the lowest setting and it's still a little more loose in the rear than I like. I may go back to stock, but I do like the adjustability.

Restrictors suck. What RPM does the power drop off due to the restritor?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
Restrictors suck. What RPM does the power drop off due to the restritor?
I agree. I'm curious to hear the answer to the question, but my guess is that it'll start to shut things down aroun 6200. Also, just curious, does your series provide you with the restrictors, or do they just give you a limit and you have to get one built? Sucks to have to keep changing your engine setup, any reason why they don't just add some weight?

The rally restrictors (34mm) keep the cars in the 300 whp range and really neuter the powerband above 5500rpm. Luckily for open class we're allowed to build the engine around the restrictor problem with high compression and larger displacement.

Keep up the good work in 09!

Dave
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Ill talk to Chris at AMS and see where it is dropping off, which I need to know for my shift points, as for the sways we dont have to run them if we dont want, we can go back to stock. I put in for the front bar as well to see if i can keep the roll down. Hopefully it will result in a better car than what I currently have. Currently we have to run stock 8 inch rims and are allowed to run up to 255 tires, but Hoosier doesnt make one in a 40 profile so, I run either 245/40s or 255/40 BFGs. The 9 inch rims will at least make the 275s doable. The Solstice is getting 100 #s added, but they really will not be the dominate car at Road America that they were at HPT. As for the Evo, adding weight would be ok, but already being at 3480 min weight, running more would be tough on the car. AMS will post some pics when they are done.

Marty
Old Jan 16, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the update Marty. Those spring and wheel/tire changes should help a lot but as you said, it would have been more helpful at Topeka. 500/700 is still a little low on a 3500lb car with 40 treadwear tires - I think the swaybars will be helpful. Can you reveal the swaybar diameters?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

It looks like the restrictor takes affect at 5400rpm and once it loses power, it stays parallel to stock all the way up to redline. I guess ill pretty much shift where I always have since I really cant shift at 6k, Ill just have to deal with the reduction in power. This test was done comparison stock turbo inlet to the 42.5mm restrictor, the new restrictor will be 41mm but I didnt have one in time for the dyno tuning, Im assuming it should just be more of the same-drop off around 5400 but lose even more power. We have to buy our restrictors at about 250.00 each.

As for the sway bars, I went with 26mm front and an adjustable 25mm rear. The new spring rates and bigger tires should give me a pretty good handling package once I get it all tuned. The springs I went with will drop the front 1.4 and the rear .95, they are Hypercoils. I did put in for more spring rate but I was told no by the scca.

I also put in to have the scca drop our minimum weight from 3480 to 3400, this will allow me to take advantage of the new rule of allowing us to pull interior and the passenger seat.
Ill try to get up to Autobon with the AMS crew early spring to get the suspension tuned up.

Marty

Last edited by Galant VR-4 #34; Jan 18, 2009 at 08:40 PM.