Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo X pedals too far apart for easy heel-toe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo X pedals too far apart for easy heel-toe

Does anyone know a good source for a wider gas pedal for the Evo X? I recently traded in my Evo VIII for a X and I've noticed the gas and brake pedals are farther apart in the X, making heel-toe downshifting much more difficult. In most good sports cars the pedals are close enough so that you can have a large part of the ball of your foot on the brake, then just pivot at the ankle to blip the throttle while downshifting. In the X, if I want to reach the gas, I can only leave a small portion of my foot on the brake. I'm worried my foot will slip off the brake if I try that in a high speed track situation. And this is with regular sneakers, forget the narrow racing shoes! I've been heel-toe downshifting for years and usually have no problem but the pedal arrangement in this new X has me searching for a fix.

Any suggestions on where to buy a wider gas pedal?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Doh! Then I do a quick google and find this:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-made-usa.html

Looks like I answered my own question.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've actually had my foot slip off the brake pedal once at an autocross. In fact I can't wear the pumas I got explicitly as driving shoes because my foot slips right between the brake and the gas pedal.

I've rejiggered my method by going the "pivot the whole foot" method rather than roll at the ankle. I feel it has better control actually than the roll my foot method.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree with Goofy, I think you'll just need to modify your method. On my Nissan, the pedals were closer plus I had pedal covers with a little extension that made them even closer. I could brake and just use the side of my foot to blip the throttle.

Then I drove a few other cars and the pedals were farther apart. My method no longer worked. I decided then to just modify my method.

Watch a few Best Motoring videos and check out how those guys do it. They crank their foot about 45 degrees to get to the gas to blip it.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ever since I started driving 30 years ago, my method has worked fine for me when the pedals are properly spaced. The Evo X gas pedal is too far from the brake, plain and simple. I've watched a lot of the Best Motoring videos and they're wonderful, but I'm not a Japanese racing contortionist, so I'll take my pedals properly spaced, thank you very much. Order placed with SRP Racing. Problem solved.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumping this for additional information.

I recently traded my VIII on on an X and am dealing with the same pedal placement issue.

I found that I can, as others have suggested, execute heel-toe by rotating my whole foot rather than just rolling the side of my foot onto the throttle. But I don't like how this feels. I don't feel like I have as much control of the brakes. I'm inclined to modify the gas pedal.

Has anyone ordered these pedals (or others)? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Berserker
Bumping this for additional information.

Has anyone ordered these pedals (or others)? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks!
I'm very happy with the pedal covers from SRP Racing. They were not very expensive, relatively easy to install, and they allow normal heel-toe as the good lord intended.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoatcha
I'm very happy with the pedal covers from SRP Racing.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
not for me. I cant say noticed any difference from the VIII or the IX.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
not for me. I cant say noticed any difference from the VIII or the IX.
Yeah, lots of people say the same thing you're saying.

I have narrow feet and I prefer the "roll" method of heel-toe (sic). I've tried the "pivot" method and I just don't feel like I have control of the brake pedal, and it's a really important pedal!

It seems that the "pivot" method is more flexible (no pun intended). And guys with wider feet can "roll" in the X. But I'm a small guy; I'm also looking at raising my seat. I'm sitting on a freaking cushion now, and it makes me feel like a lesser man.

The driving position in the VIII was perfect for me in every way. I love the X because I got older and the VIII was just too hard core for a daily driver for me. Hopefully with a couple of ergonomics tweaks I should be good to go! The track beckons.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Autovation Pedals (www.autovation.net) will custom make the gas pedal with any offset you want for the same price as standard if you cal them.

They are great pedals. Very similar to above. In fact the picture above looks like it's ripped from their site. they do resell to a couple retail outlets, so it could be the same. I found they were a few buck cheaper if you deal with them directly.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolvedMR
Autovation Pedals....
Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info - I was also just looking for a good solution. I've been working on the "pivot the whole foot method", but also had my foot slip off the brake once at the track last weekend. Might try these...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

A set of aluminum pedals shoudl do the trick. I was able to narrow the distance by about an inch+ and it made the right difference.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Just get a MR...

Quick Reply: Evo X pedals too far apart for easy heel-toe