He's baaaaaaack
Found on ESPN.com....
BERLIN -- Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher is coming out of retirement to drive for Mercedes in 2010, saying he expects to contend for the title again.
The German, who turns 41 on Jan. 3, announced his comeback on Wednesday after three years away from the sport that he dominated for the first half of the decade.
Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher, right, will drive in 2010 for a Mercedes team that helped guide his pre-Formula One career.
"Three years of absence gave back all the energy that I'm feeling right now," Schumacher said in a telephone conference. "I feel ready for some serious stuff.
"I still feel absolutely on the edge. It's thrilling and exciting. I believe I can be absolutely competitive."
Schumacher, who will join Nico Rosberg in an all-German team for the 2010 season, said he and Mercedes are in discussions about a deal through the 2012 season.
"We are talking about a three-year deal. It's not a one-off thing," Schumacher said. "We are looking for some continuation."
Financial terms were not disclosed, but Germany's Bild daily -- which first broke news of the deal -- reported that Schumacher would earn $10 million under an initial one-year contract.
Schumacher competed in 249 F1 races from 1991-2006 with Jordan, Benetton and Ferrari.
He won the F1 driver's championship in 1994 and 1995 and five straight years from 2000-2004. He set records with 91 race wins and several other milestones in the sport which still stand.
This is the best news i've heard so far today
BERLIN -- Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher is coming out of retirement to drive for Mercedes in 2010, saying he expects to contend for the title again.
The German, who turns 41 on Jan. 3, announced his comeback on Wednesday after three years away from the sport that he dominated for the first half of the decade.
Seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher, right, will drive in 2010 for a Mercedes team that helped guide his pre-Formula One career.
"Three years of absence gave back all the energy that I'm feeling right now," Schumacher said in a telephone conference. "I feel ready for some serious stuff.
"I still feel absolutely on the edge. It's thrilling and exciting. I believe I can be absolutely competitive."
Schumacher, who will join Nico Rosberg in an all-German team for the 2010 season, said he and Mercedes are in discussions about a deal through the 2012 season.
"We are talking about a three-year deal. It's not a one-off thing," Schumacher said. "We are looking for some continuation."
Financial terms were not disclosed, but Germany's Bild daily -- which first broke news of the deal -- reported that Schumacher would earn $10 million under an initial one-year contract.
Schumacher competed in 249 F1 races from 1991-2006 with Jordan, Benetton and Ferrari.
He won the F1 driver's championship in 1994 and 1995 and five straight years from 2000-2004. He set records with 91 race wins and several other milestones in the sport which still stand.
This is the best news i've heard so far today
I still love the in car video of him driving with Benetton when they had no traction control! Every body wanted to see Senna, but this driver Schumacher, his in car driving was really exiting to watch. Strange coincidence was I saw his last F1 race on TV at a Ferrari dealership while one of the Ferrari Challenge race mechanics was helping me with some work on my Evo! He made a terrific pass a couple laps from the end to show everybody he was still a F1 stud! He was the worlds best so if anyone can compete at his age it'll be him.







