Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Budget Rally Car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget Rally Car

Hey guys, I got off topic in another thread so I started this one, to gain some more insight on what to look for, which cars to buy etc.

I am looking to get into either Group 2 or Production Class Rally car.

Little back ground on why I want one.

I started out as a Stage Rally enthusiast 9 years ago, and when I saw a red 2003 Evo sitting in the parking lot at work, my jaw dropped! I have always been into Gran Turismo and that's where I first learned of the awesome power of an Evo. I didn't know the Evo came to the US at that time, it was summer 2003. I had been driving a '98 A4 Quattro 2.8l, and I had been researching upping the power. my boss at the time was a car guy so I went into work and asked about it, he started telling me all about it, I was super geeked at the price. He also told me his mechanic (now my mechanic) had one and would probably let me test drive it. I was like, no way! Well he did, he showed up at the job, handed me the keys told me to test out the turbo and the brakes. I had never met the guy before, and was blown away at his generosity and the car. I picked up my Evo 8/26/03. I drove it around stock for about 5 months, and started modding it. One of my best friends had been navigating for a suburu wrx on SCCA TSD Rallys. The suburu owner got his old navigator back and my best friend no longer had a pilot. So I went out and did a handful of TSD rallys in the Evo with 6000 miles on it making 265whp. Cast in Stone, Cadillac Color Tour and a couple others. I was planning on doing POR and Sno Drift even, until I was going 65 trying to make up time in a rough road section, at which point I smashed the front under tray off the car. The car was fine besides that piece, but after that I decided I couldn't afford to rally my Evo which I still had many, many payments to make and no other transportation. I have been modding the Evo for Road Race ever since, but I have always had the itch to go back to the dirt and gravel. Which leads me here.

My mechanic and good friend just happens to be well versed in Rally, he sponsored a production class focus a few years ago which he built from the ground up. That car went on to place in every event it entered, so I have good support for my obsession. I would have bought that car when it sold but it needed some love as it was rolled over (still placed in that event too ) and the owner wanted too much for it in my eyes.

I Would like to buy a ready to race Rally car for under $4000, or a car that is at least worth buying and putting money into to get my dirt fix. I have seen VW Gr2 cars for $4500, trailer, spare parts etc., so I know its possible.

Any suggestions, tips, things to watch out for, what cars would be a good starter would be much appreciated. If you think I should save up and spend a little more to get a lot more tell me that too. I did find a disassembled WRX, fully built, caged, seam welded frame, 4 engines, two transmissions, everything to put it together, spare parts car for $9500, but 1.) my mechanic would be less then pleased to show up with a "kit car". 2.) They wont let me drive awd as a beginner. 3.) out of my price range.

Thanks Guys!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
After watching and helping a friend build an Open class car from a street car I made the right choice and bought a Group 2 VW GTI for $3500. Ran it for a season and sold it for $3500.

You will crash the car - for sure. And it takes a long time to sort out a car, that's why buying one is the way to go.

Start in Group 2, FWD is super fun. I'd look for a Golf or a Honda Civic.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:51 PM

I would love to get into rally too but rally even in a 4000 car is not really affordable as you are bound to crash/ brake things every rally more so in a cheap car. The other half is the entry fees for rally are rediculous. The entry fee for rally New York is 1500 for a 2 day event doesnt seem worth it to me. I think if the entry fee was cheaper i would get into it but I find that the entry fee is just too much IMO
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Isn't crashing what rally is all about? Yea that's pretty much exactly what I am looking for.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

RWD is better - maybe not faster, but surely more smiles/mile.

Old volvo 240 turbos and Merkur XR4 Ti's can make great starter cars that you're able to grow into/upgrade as teh addiction deepens. I went a different route on my car choice as I wanted something a bit more modern.

Dave
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mackevox
I would love to get into rally too but rally even in a 4000 car is not really affordable as you are bound to crash/ brake things every rally more so in a cheap car. The other half is the entry fees for rally are rediculous. The entry fee for rally New York is 1500 for a 2 day event doesnt seem worth it to me. I think if the entry fee was cheaper i would get into it but I find that the entry fee is just too much IMO
If I can do 1 event a year I would be happy, its been a long obsession for me. I need time to Road Race the Evo too. Good thing I am single/no kids and just got a huge raise!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
RWD is better - maybe not faster, but surely more smiles/mile.

Old volvo 240 turbos and Merkur XR4 Ti's can make great starter cars that you're able to grow into/upgrade as teh addiction deepens. I went a different route on my car choice as I wanted something a bit more modern.

Dave
Will they let me run a RWD for a starter car? I am definitely more comfortable getting RWD sideways then left foot braking a FWD. I am not looking to win anyway, just out to have a good time.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

So many obsessions so little time, I just payed for Spark Tech Pro Cdi COP for the Evo. Things like this is the reason I don't have the Rally car already.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by casper980
Will they let me run a RWD for a starter car? I am definitely more comfortable getting RWD sideways then left foot braking a FWD. I am not looking to win anyway, just out to have a good time.
You can start in anything at NASA santioned events.

In rally america you have to start in non forced induction but you've got your pick of FWD, RWD, or AWD.

Dave
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
You can start in anything at NASA santioned events.

In rally america you have to start in non forced induction but you've got your pick of FWD, RWD, or AWD.

Dave
Thanks Dave, very helpful, I am definitely leaning towards Rally America. I guess Ill keep an eye out for AWD or RWD NA car, I have much more experience pushing them to and past there limits then a FWD.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/2180/cat/13
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
RA or RallyCar as today where you want to race. That is what i try to do. Those events are closest to the rally idea.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

I saw that car before, its a Gr5 car though, I didn't think I would be allowed to run it. Definitely on track for what I want though.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

I forget those damn rotaries have such a high multiplier that they get bumped into G5. Honestly, if that was something you were interested in, it'd be worth a quick call to the folks at Rally America to see if they'd let you run it.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear them say yes - especially if you've got some other driving experience, it is an N/A car afterall. Rally-x, auto-x, track days, etc. can all work in your favor to get them to grant you an exemption. Basically they want to avoid letting newbs jump into firebreathing turbo AWD cars.....well, that is unless you're an X-games crossover star.

Dave
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

lmao, so your telling me I should get into x-games. I do have track experience, and drive a 400whp Evo in Michigan winters...sideways mostly. Haha, if there is snow on the ground I take the long way home.

Quick Reply: Budget Rally Car