Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Limerock and noise restriction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, you should be fine with a HFC like I was too. Running a test pipe is risky. Might not be a problem but you could be throwing an entire track day down the tubes.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...D1506A0BC77B9F

88 dB Porsche Club Day
105 dB Porsche Race Day
87 dB BMW Club
86 dB PDA non-race
86 dB SCDA
88 dB Lime Rock Drivers Club
105 dB Tuesday afternoon Test & Tune
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by delongedoug
This is incorrect, along with your db guesses. It is 87db and they measure at various points while you are on track, not at tech.

Honestly, being catless, I wouldn't be surprised if you were black flagged. I've run a HFC and been fine, but every setup is different, maybe they won't even check you. It's a gamble in my book. Personally, I'm going to run a HFC there to be on the safe side.
decibel can be off i never said it for sure, since i didnt cared that time, neither today so no wonder i was off.
also i even have a video when they did a tech inspection et the parking lot, with all the other cars buddy
Also with several Evos and witness who were at that event and got a same noize test like everybody else in the parking lot.
Without that you dont even passed the tech... no little sticker to your windshield to go on the track.

this is where the nascar stopped and they did a test behind ( cones was the rear end line) , i made a picture of the car (sounded real good) i never thought it will come to this... i f i knew i would make this picture with the guy the decibel meter too... lol

And they do also measure the db level during the sessions as you mentioned. but that is after the tech, at least this is how EMRA did it in LR.

ps : why they would let anyone on the track, if they do not pass the restriction limits? Just asking

They do measure the cars at tech, so they do meet the requerments other wise they would loose the race day. (clubs)
The reason why they do measure the noise limits on track, because parts can be loose or crack in the exhaust system during the runs, or purposly removed silencer etc to gain power. They are not there to fishing out the loud cars during the runs...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 13, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
decibel can be off i never said it for sure, since i didnt cared that time, neither today so no wonder i was off.
also i even have a video when they did a tech inspection et the parking lot, with all the other cars buddy
Also with several Evos and witness who were at that event and got a same noize test like everybody else in the parking lot.
Without that you dont even passed the tech... no little sticker to your windshield to go on the track.

this is where the nascar stopped and they did a test behind ( cones was the rear end line) , i made a picture of the car (sounded real good) i never thought it will come to this... i f i knew i would make this picture with the guy the decibel meter too... lol

And they do also measure the db level during the sessions as you mentioned. but that is after the tech, at least this is how EMRA did it in LR.

ps : why they would let anyone on the track, if they do not pass the restriction limits? Just asking

They do measure the cars at tech, so they do meet the requerments other wise they would loose the race day. (clubs)
The reason why they do measure the noise limits on track, because parts can be loose or crack in the exhaust system during the runs, or purposly removed silencer etc to gain power. They are not there to fishing out the loud cars during the runs...
I've been to Lime Rock for the past 3 years and have never once seen a car sound tested during tech with any group. I have seen numerous cars black flagged that were too loud while tested on the track. They most certainly are doing that at several spots on track. When on earth would a car be as loud sitting at idle as it is WOT on track? The noise restriction isn't to keep cars quiet in the paddock.

Last edited by delongedoug; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I've been to Lime Rock for the past 3 years and have never once seen a car been sound tested during tech with any group. I have seen numerous cars black flagged that were too loud while tested on the track. They most certainly are doing that at several spots on track. When on earth would a car be as loud sitting at idle as it is WOT on track? The noise restriction isn't to keep cars quiet in the paddock.
So that is your experinece, and my case your story is incorrect, since i was there twice both times they had a check before they go to the track. As actually they should, if they have a noize restriction. How the hell other wise they would know you are legit and passed the rules???

So you think they do a noize test at idle ... Hilarious ( FYI they do it 1000 rpm under red line. so now you know)

Did you run with EMRA before? Did you had any serious tech inspection before?

Or you running with HPDE and club events? Because as i find it out, it is vary's a lot by clubs. I mean some even let you run with your own written paper... Its true just happenned last month . But that doesnt mean that is right.
Fact is you should check in every sinlge time with the organization, to make sure you dont run into something , what doesnt suppose to happen.....
And that situation ususally happens with smart guys.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

So that is your experinece, and my case your story is incorrect, since i was there twice both times they had a check before they go to the track. As actually tehy should if they have a noize restriction. How the hell other wise they would know you are legit and passed the rules???

So you think they do a noize test at idle ... Hilarious

Did you run with EMRA before? Did you had any serious tech inspection before?

Or you running with HPDE and club events? Because as i find out is vary's a lot by clubs. I mean some even let you run with your oiwn written paper... Its true just happenned last month . But that doesnt mean is right or you shouldnt check with the organization before.
Fact is you should check in every sinlge time to make sure you dont run into something , what doesnt suppose to happen..... And that ususally happans witha smart guys.

Rob
Um, English please?

If you're saying no car goes on track without being sound tested first you're completely wrong.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Um, English please?
so lame...
even with my worst english ever, you still did answere my posts, exactly on the point. You do understand when you want it.
It is really the worst come back you can ever pick. And doesnt makes you point stronger.
Sudden personal attacks during conversations, usually point out weakness or lack of knowlidge from the attacker.

Try it again, maybe that will be better .
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

so lame...
even with my worst english ever, you still did answere my posts, exactly on the point. You do understand when you want it.
It is really the worst come back you can ever pick. And doesnt makes you point stronger.
Sudden personal attacks during conversations, usually point out weakness or lack of knowlidge from the attacker.

Try it again, maybe that will be better .
Yes, I brazenly ignored your irrelevant ramblings about term papers to random clubs about nonsense. What does any of that have to do with db checks on track?

Does every car get sound tested before being allowed on track? With EMRA, maybe. Certainly not with NASA, CART and I'm sure many others. So how would they test these cars? Hint: It's on track.

Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I am telling you go to tri state evo web site an d ask those 15 + guys who did run those events where i was running at Lime ROck. They will all tell you the tests. Right now i am writing from my laptop. But when i get beack to NJ, i will send you the video so you can sleep better about the noize test at that point where you see now the NASCAR.

Side note if they do test the cars first time on track , that is means they are already broke the restriction rule , since they let louder cars on the track. Which shouldnnt be happening in the first case.
Whe you pass inspection , and later they black flag you with loud noize that can be acceptable since everything can happen which can not be controlled by the club. Like broken parts or cheatres with a silencer etc.

Just use your logic and you will see where is the club you go doing wrong. Hey i passed rally without checking our suit and harness. That is mean they shouldnt do it?
And as i said before each club does it differently. if you will run into EMRA most likelly they still have the noize test before.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure EMRA does. And? Every other club I've run with there, you don't get sound checked at tech. Which means they're checking you on track. Pretty common knowledge for anyone who's ever been there for, honestly. Where did I say the club was right or wrong for doing it that way? Please quote it, I'll wait.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I brazenly ignored your irrelevant ramblings about term papers to random clubs about nonsense. What does any of that have to do with db checks on track?

Does every car get sound tested before being allowed on track? With EMRA, maybe. Certainly not with NASA, CART and I'm sure many others. So how would they test these cars? Hint: It's on track.

It does shows you, the different procedures by clubs. Its fine i can lead you step by step until you get it.
So it does suggest you , your club you run doesnt test the cars before they go on track ( not good since they have no clue about noize level of the car when is a restriction in place) and others does. different procedures different clubs.
Dont be sure, there is where you can be lost. Example: i was sure the tech inspection is done by the club at the event at the track. BUT it wasnt the case. They requierd from me to go my mechaninc, and get a written paper from him : my car passed they tech inspection.
First time i ever heard anything like that. But it did happened . I was sure they do it, like everyone else in the past 20+ years of my racing history.
Get the car into specs , and they will tech it at the event.
Longer you will race, more you will understand why you should call everytime before you go.

I have a written rules regs for rally, but still its a hit and miss when its coming down to tech inspection.
Other story for you (there is Jeremy here can protest)
MtWashington race requierd the arm straps for rally cars including co drivers . NO ONE had it . WHY? because they advertisedthe rules as we will run under Rally America rules, whereis no such a thing as an arm strap... But at the MTWashington tech they need it Which should be under RA rules, and clearly wasnt. It was based on it , but wasnt 100%.

So next time you go to the track (with different club or even a same) you might run inot the impossoble, noize test in the paddock...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 14, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure EMRA does. And? Every other club I've run with there, you don't get sound checked at tech. Which means they're checking you on track. Pretty common knowledge for anyone who's ever been there for, honestly. Where did I say the club was right or wrong for doing it that way? Please quote it, I'll wait.
hey you stated i am incorrect... I am just telling you which is correct and which is not.
No need to have a big brain to understand , if you cant run over a certain noize level you shouldnt be on the track from the begin with.

Those clubs doing back words. If there is a rules to run certain events then you should pass the requierments before you even get to the stage or the track. Ergo noize level test if there is a noize level restriction in place .
That is nothing there i think is hard to understand.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly, be prepared to be black flagged for being too loud after passing tech at Lime Rock.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly, be prepared to be black flagged for being too loud after passing tech at Lime Rock.
when you get a black flag, and say you fixed you issue. Like silencer etc, how they measure it you are fine now to go back? by ear or they let you back and measure it again?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

by the way i was right with my db level actually.... when i was running Lime Rock, it was 89db (first i stated 98db mixed up numbers, LOL and i also stated to call to make it sure)

Recently in 2011 they lowered it to 88db.

any way here as interesting read for you:

:This is copied from Loud exhuast at Lime Rock thread post #49!
Here it is officially: 03/03/11

From: Skip Barber, Georgia Blades and Scott MayoAs you know, exhaust noise has always been an issue at Lime Rock Park. We operate under a 1959 Court Injunction that stipulates: the number of weekends (10) that we can run unmuffled; other times we aren’t restricted (Tuesday afternoons); the decibel limit for all other track days; and bans Sunday track use. There have been no changes in the injunction and we don’t anticipate any court ordered reductions in noise levels. But we have growing criticism from some of our neighbors; some of which is justified:

1. Significant manufacturers like Porsche, Mercedes (AMG), and Ferrari are building street legal cars that at high speed and full throttle are “on the edge” of our required decibel limit. Given the right atmospheric conditions they go over the edge

2. There has been a major increase in the number of small manufactures building great track cars that are too noisy “out of the box”

3. More and more of our track users have cars in these two categories

4. The Skip Barber Racing School has steadily increased its use of “noisy” Miata’s rather than relatively quiet single-seaters

5. There are a small number of SCCA race cars, mostly Porsches that turn up at multiple club events for “cheap” practice. They almost always need to “test” their “improved” exhaust systems, making too much noise in the process

For 25 years the track set a limit 1 dB level below the injunction requirement to be safe and never exceed the mandated limit, unless the exhaust system broke. Cars were checked while stationary, before going on the track, 1000 RPM below the redline, and theoretically never got on track if too loud. There was no on-track testing to check for compliance as there is now. Porsches had the most trouble complying and it was common to have a Lime Rock exhaust system.

Over the years the 1 dB margin has vanished and on-track testing has replaced stationary checking. A common scenario is that a car runs 4 or 5 laps; is too noisy; comes in to correct the problem (often with steel wool); goes out again; the steel wool blows out after a few laps and it takes a few more laps to get the car in. Then the process starts all over and by the end of the day the car has run multiple noisy laps.

And now we have more complaints.

We are going to deal with this proactively:

· We are going to reduce the total noise

· We are going to have a sound engineer calculate the total reduction

· We are going to tell the town what we have done and we are going to stick with it

We are NOT:

· Going to court to try to change the injunction

· Going to complain about the injunction

· Going to criticize the states motor vehicle laws or the measuring system

· Going to make the economic argument that the town needs a viable track – they know that

We want to stand in front of the town and say:

1. The total noise is down_____%

2. All quiet days are quieter

3. Even the biggest professional race, the American Le Mans Series, is down 2 dB

We are going away from a “one size fits all” dB limit; assigning every club a limit we think is reasonable in terms of cost, impact on performance, and effect on entries. We know “reasonable” doesn’t always mean “easy” or “cheap.” The new limit, effective immediately for your club, PCA is 88 db.

The two big problem groups are the school’s Miatas and some Porsches, regardless of what club they run with. The school is fortunate – they have a new sponsor, Borla, who is building them all new complete exhaust systems. They have already tested under 83dB, their new limit at Lime Rock Park. This is a tremendous reduction – they have been running 88-89 dB, and they use the track more than 100 days each season.

Not so easy for some Porsches, so all Porsche clubs go down 1 dB; but we are going to rigidly enforce this. This 88dB limit is for non-race Porsche days – not for Porsche cars regardless of what club they are running with. So a Porsche limit would be:

88 dB Porsche Club Day

105 dB Porsche Race Day

87 dB BMW Club

86 dB PDA non-race

88 dB SCDA

88 dB Lime Rock Drivers Club

105 dB Tuesday afternoon Test & Tune

PLEASE don’t let anyone come for testing or a club day with an unchanged car that was too noisy last year. This isn’t about “beating the system” by short shifting or lifting off the throttle while being checked. This is about lending real meaning to the phrase, “We’re all in this together.”

source:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-88-89-db.html

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: bad english
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Remember your statments where we are started from, and what did i tell you about not being so sure + call a head ?
Now i hope you know i do not try to pick a fight. I just doesnt want to people run into problems at the track, based on not so good informations. Which doesnt mean you are not telling the truth. I am sure what you say it did happened with you.

But that doesnt mean that is right.

Rob

This is incorrect, along with your db guesses. It is 87db and they measure at various points while you are on track, not at tech.

PS: so now we know you are running with a BMW club ... LOL

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Limerock and noise restriction