Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Back to Pikes Peak with two cars

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to Pikes Peak with two cars

This should be of interest to all Evo owners...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lectric-racers

"Peak output of the MiEV Evolution II is 536 horsepower, which should see the cars easily eclipse the 10:31 time of the 321-horsepower i-MiEV Evolution from last year."

"Based on experience gained from last year’s race, Mitsubishi installed an all-wheel-drive system that consists of four electric motors (one for each wheel) and is controlled by the automaker’s Super-All Wheel Control (S-AWC) technology."
Old May 16, 2013, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Thycidides
This should be of interest to all Evo owners...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lectric-racers

"Peak output of the MiEV Evolution II is 536 horsepower, which should see the cars easily eclipse the 10:31 time of the 321-horsepower i-MiEV Evolution from last year."

"Based on experience gained from last year’s race, Mitsubishi installed an all-wheel-drive system that consists of four electric motors (one for each wheel) and is controlled by the automaker’s Super-All Wheel Control (S-AWC) technology."
I think they are testing components for the next Evo for sure. They have talked about a diesel/electric hybrid for the next Evo for ages. If they did it right, using the diesel motor as a generator for 4 electric motors (one for each wheel) with a sophisticated AWD system like the one in the article and kept the weight low with the power over 400 bhp it could be a monster. The main issues are threefold:

If they use batteries to tackle the power problem the car becomes largely useless. You can't store enough power to race it, you can't charge it fast enough to use it at full tilt for any length of time, and the batteries are expensive and heavy.

Reliability would be a concern as well, as you have complex AWD paired with a generator style engine (petrol or diesel) and electric motors.

The main factor though is price. Electric hybrid cars command a premium, and unless they build it as a GT-R competitor the price won't match the equivalent performance of a petrol based car.

All of that being said, I think it could be done, and the result could be one of the best cars available. 4 wheel electric motors are very likely the future of the performance car if they can get a decent way of providing power to them.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I think they are testing components for the next Evo for sure. They have talked about a diesel/electric hybrid for the next Evo for ages. If they did it right, using the diesel motor as a generator for 4 electric motors (one for each wheel) with a sophisticated AWD system like the one in the article and kept the weight low with the power over 400 bhp it could be a monster. The main issues are threefold:

If they use batteries to tackle the power problem the car becomes largely useless. You can't store enough power to race it, you can't charge it fast enough to use it at full tilt for any length of time, and the batteries are expensive and heavy.

Reliability would be a concern as well, as you have complex AWD paired with a generator style engine (petrol or diesel) and electric motors.

The main factor though is price. Electric hybrid cars command a premium, and unless they build it as a GT-R competitor the price won't match the equivalent performance of a petrol based car.

All of that being said, I think it could be done, and the result could be one of the best cars available. 4 wheel electric motors are very likely the future of the performance car if they can get a decent way of providing power to them.
Diesel electric is not a new technology. Train systems and heavy industry have been doing it for many decades now.Using it just to charge batteries that would have a high charge/discharge rate is something we haven't seen before though, I'd be curious on how they're going to overcome that with a 'sport' type car.