Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Question for all of you experienced track guys

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for all of you experienced track guys

I had my old Evo years ago and of course I loved it and the handling and everything was top notch. However, with lower back arthritis, as well as bulging discs (2), it's become quite painful to shift gears... but the MR's are just to much money and i'm never very thrilled about the idea of buying a used tuner car when I think of what might have been done to it since I am the way I am with my cars.

So, after doing a lot of looking, I had come down to a few cars that I felt like might be for me. the 335i, but it's reliability for the price just isn't that great (used). The Audi s4 is a great car, and great looking car, but expensive, even with higher miles on it, though it did move up on the reliability chart recently. I had looked at some Chargers as well, and while the one I test drove didn't have the better tires and suspension, it's a big, heavy, but safe feeling car. Looking into it some more. I had run across the Super bee charger. Heavy, but has the Brembo's on it, the bilstein shocks, etc. Really nothing would need to be done to it. Would it handle like an Evo? Well obviously not, but a lot of that is of course in the drivers hands too, but that's a different subject.

Anyway, my question was that I've run across some very good deals on some of the super bees, but I wanted to know... how do they do at the track? Has anyone driven one at the track or just in general? What's your take on it from a racers perspective? The car is big and heavy yes, but i'm also interested in having a very safe and big car for my 3 month old... still want to be able to have fun once in a while. No modding. I'm done with that and it's just a hole that you just dig yourself into further and further.

Just thought i'd get some opinions from just a driving perspective instead of the bias of "oh it's a domestic, so it must be a s****y car or whatever else.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not look into a 996 Porsche, they are affordable and handle well as well has they have 4 seats. They can be very reliable with proper care. I was looking at a few before I bought my Evo, but honestly the Evo handles better and with my drive to mod cars it was a no brainer. The Porsche however is not a car you mod all that much and my fit your needs.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
Why not look into a 996 Porsche, they are affordable and handle well as well has they have 4 seats. They can be very reliable with proper care. I was looking at a few before I bought my Evo, but honestly the Evo handles better and with my drive to mod cars it was a no brainer. The Porsche however is not a car you mod all that much and my fit your needs.
Well... having a 3 month old doesn't help with that one. 4 doors is something I need. I appreciate the info though, never really thought about that one. Again though, one of the bigger issues for me is when/if it breaks, how much cheaper will the parts be and how readily available.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Bump... also now looking at the 2008 Lexus IS-F
Old Sep 28, 2013, 04:01 AM
Evolving Member

If you have to have 4 doors I'd have to say get a ctsv, cheap easy to get parts, and lots of people track them.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gotpsi?
If you have to have 4 doors I'd have to say get a ctsv, cheap easy to get parts, and lots of people track them.
Yeah, with my son I definitely do need 4 doors to make life easier for my back.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

have you looked into the new camaro zl1 or even an ss
Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sktng22
have you looked into the new camaro zl1 or even an ss
No, not much on the looks of those, and still only 2 doors. I have figured that I really cannot afford to go more than 35k with a REALLY good interest rate. A decent interest rate and i'd have to go a few k lower than that. It's just to much to put a child into a back seat with 2 doors all the time with a bad back and a shot shoulder.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The Evo is still the best 4 door saloon out there. Cheap, easy to work on, easy to get parts, plenty of space, but you know all this. Is it as safe as or as comfortable as a CTS-V, no, but it depends. Maybe even an Acura TL type S as that was pretty fun to drive but damn sensitive on the throttle aka insta torque. If we could get that Bathurst edition Vox 4 door over in the states that'd be the ticket.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

CTS-V
G8 (GXP)
335i
Old Oct 1, 2013, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I had my old Evo years ago and of course I loved it

However, with lower back arthritis, as well as bulging discs (2), it's become quite painful to shift gears

super bees... how do they do at the track?
So are you looking for a 4-door automatic or dual clutch since shifting is painful? That being the case your best bet for performance is an Evo X MR which will be respectably quick without mods, 4-doors, and still have the handling you enjoyed.

Chargers and Challengers are lousy track cars imo. Your best option for an American 4-door would probably be a CTS-V sedan.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I too have back issues and it doesn't really matter what car you are in.... if you are racing you are going to feel it the next day. I bet you would feel it even more in something with softer suspension.

Really the best band aid for this type of thing is a fitted seat and comfortable harness. Its the flopping around that will do you in.

For the record .... if you haven't already done so you should look into a Radio Frequency Ablation. Best thing I ever did! Totally eliminated my lower back pain and it lasts for about 1 year. Soo much better than injections, anti inflammatory drugs and visits to the chiropractor.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Let me specify, I don't race (wouldn't mind doing it, but can't afford it right now). I was asking some of you guys here because you all likely have a lot of experience with different cars and such. I know for instance that the Charger, GTI, or anything else aside maybe from the STI (which has HORRIBLE seats) won't handle like the Evo. I cannot deny that for the money that with the Charger you get A LOT for your money as far as standard options go. I would wait for the newer GTI, but it will be it's first year and often times the first year of a car tends to have the most issues. Plus the new one will be built in Mexico. Does that mean it will be bad? No, but it will be the first year for the factory and the first year for the car as well. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

I had also looked into the new Mercedes CLA 250. Starting at 30k after it's out a while OTD prices will likely drop down pretty good. It's a really nice looking car too IMO.

I can take any car and add some better suspension and brakes to it. Admittedly I do like the Charger because it's very big and heavy and safe for my son. I can also get one for about 30k from some of the quotes I've had. Not to mention that it can run on 87, but runs best on 89, so it saves gas over some of the other cars I've looked at even if they are rated higher since they all take 93.

For the Evo X comment above. I definitely agree, but I don't trust buying a car with those auto's used and new they are just to far out of my price range.

As to the other comment above, I've always loved the look of the 335i, and have looked at those and the 335d quite a bit, but BMW's reliability really sucks. I am on the Bimmer forums a lot and all those guys do is talk about issues they have with their cars.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 07:29 PM

I track my Evo often and have similar back issues. Early on before a proper seat harness, to get through the track days I did and still do a lot of core work and stretching, if that works you.

Regarding cars I thought the golf r was pretty good after some ecu mods.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dtfrost5
I track my Evo often and have similar back issues. Early on before a proper seat harness, to get through the track days I did and still do a lot of core work and stretching, if that works you.

Regarding cars I thought the golf r was pretty good after some ecu mods.
Yeah, I detailed a Golf R for a guy a few years back, but never did drive the car as I don't drive customers cars, but it was nice... of course very good fit and finish, and the paint was much better than either of my Evo's or WRX ever was.

Quick Reply: Question for all of you experienced track guys