Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Strange noise from driver rear side...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Strange noise from driver rear side...

When I finally got my car back to where it needs to be (ACD pump replaced, front struts repaired and installed, front rotors and pads replaced, and CIRO Design adjustable brackets installed), it started to make a strange noise from the rear driver side. I have checked everything and I can't pinpoint to anything out of whack.

"Strange" part comes from when it happens and it is not all the time. I have to be in 1st and maybe sometimes in second (this is rare though). But, if I hit it hard, I don't hear anything. So, it has to be somewhere in between for this to happen.

Let me go back to noise itself. I will try to record it, but it is tricky. Until then, it sounds like something is grinding over something else and one of those two are rotating. It last for around the second and than it stops. Pretty much while at right RPMs without too much or too little torque.

Back to "strange" part. When I throw the car into the fast sweepers or on-ramps, nothing happens. If I launch it hard, no noise either. But, if I hit the brakes hard sometimes I could hear the same noise.

Also, when I stop the car slowly, again sometimes, there is a clicking sounds that comes from the caliper/pads section. Hard to say, but there is that one click that happens hear and there and it seem to be right underneath me.

I guess that is about as much as I can describe this strange thing. If I get to record it I will add it here. Until then, if anyone had any idea what this could be, I would welcome it.

BTW, rear pads are still AX6es and they seem to have lots of life left in them. Since I went with Porterfields R4Ses in the front, I will switch those in the rear as well. But, for right now there is that mismatch there!

Thanks for help!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Managed to record the sound!!

Let me know if you have any idea what this is!

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
It honestly sounds more like a whine than something rubbing or grinding. Did the dealership bleed the AYC system after replacing the pump?
Old Sep 15, 2016, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Here is a thread of a member complaining about similar noise after having his AYC pump replaced by the dealership. Might be worth looking into IMO.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

This sounds pretty similar to what I am hearing...
Old Sep 15, 2016, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Now the million dollars question...is the car safe to race like this?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

So, I raced! And on the first run there was noticeable noise from the pump I guess. On second run I don't remember hearing anything any more. That was my last run with my car due to brake bias being too rear based. Today, I can not reproduce that same noise any more!

It is either fixed all of the sudden or whatever part was making this noise had died.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
So if the dealer replaced your pump and you're now getting this noise its probably safe to say the pump is causing the issue. Maybe they didnt bleed it properly or the pump is somehow faulty from the factory. I'd bring it back if I were you. Man it would have been sweet to get my pump replaced under warranty...oh well mine is now protected in my trunk so that should be a thing in the past.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

I have appointment scheduled for this coming Saturday, but I can't reproduce that noise any more..puzzling this is, meditate/race I must!

Also, new warranty for the pump is 100k and 10 years, so I have over 30k more miles to go and over 3 years. I foresee another pump or two replaced under that...
Old Sep 19, 2016, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Haha always great when a strange noise is being emitted and then it cant be reproduced when you want it to! The 10 year 100k is nice but not sure is that included the CT9A as well. Either way my car is too old and it doesnt matter now.

I thought the pump on the X was in the trunk too? Or is it just the reservoir and the actual pump is chillin in the back under the car? Thats how it must be being that they all corrode away. Such a silly design you should come up with a way to protect it once your warranty is up.