Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 08:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
So now we're more or less limited up front?. Looks like I could fit an 11.5" wheel with a +30ish offset? Spring perch allowing ,of course.
I need to make a wheel/offset tool that mounts to my car and gives me real-world numbers.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
So this is going to let me, with a little other work, get the 18x12 +32 with 315s in there. I dont know how hard its going to be once I put the 335s ons. I'll have to get a little creative on the inside but I have a plan.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 09:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
I'm moist.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Man, that looks sweet!!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Stop making such beautiful pieces, Dallas. Do you know how hard it is to resist buying all of your parts?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
Stop making such beautiful pieces, Dallas. Do you know how hard it is to resist buying all of your parts?
At least, none of them fit my X, so I am still safe...kind of...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 08:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MrAWD
At least, none of them fit my X, so I am still safe...kind of...
Hah, not like you'll come and play outside of Street anyways.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Hah, not like you'll come and play outside of Street anyways.
Well, I have been part of SM back in days...never say never!!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:19 AM
EvoM Guru

So I had a request to make a brake caliper mount bracket for the Aero6 for a certain someones car and wanted to do something more interesting than just the same ol' boring basic bracket. I know itll take more machine time, but once programmed we're probably talking less than 10min difference to machine it.

This shape came out of doing solidworks topology studies and figuring out from a maximum material condition what can cut away and what is critical. Need to do a little more evaluation but I'm pretty happy with the way way it turned out. I'll probably try to get a set machined next week to go out for anodizing with my next batch of parts.

Aero6 brake caliper bracket
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Looks awesome! I thought you were just doing the aero as a revision to your uprights but that looks like its designed to bolt up to a stock knuckle. What size rotors will be used in conjunction with that? Keep the good stuff coming Dallas!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

I am making the integrated mount into the uprights, these are for a guy that already has my uprights so we didn't want to remake a whole new body.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Not to question solidworks but....are there any radial mounts out there that have holes in them? I have to think that most if not all of the radial mounts made by the ones doing it for many years would have also done this to save weight unless there was a strength/twist issue? Or you think it's purely not profitable in mass so they stuck to solid ones.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
So this is going to let me, with a little other work, get the 18x12 +32 with 315s in there. I dont know how hard its going to be once I put the 335s ons. I'll have to get a little creative on the inside but I have a plan.
What is your scrub radius going to be like on this setup?

So I had a request to make a brake caliper mount bracket for the Aero6 for a certain someones car and wanted to do something more interesting than just the same ol' boring basic bracket. I know itll take more machine time, but once programmed we're probably talking less than 10min difference to machine it.

This shape came out of doing solidworks topology studies and figuring out from a maximum material condition what can cut away and what is critical. Need to do a little more evaluation but I'm pretty happy with the way way it turned out. I'll probably try to get a set machined next week to go out for anodizing with my next batch of parts.

Aero6 brake caliper bracket
Fancy making me some for my AP calipers to suit OE Evo X rotors? I can email you the technical drawing of the caliper.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Not to question solidworks but....are there any radial mounts out there that have holes in them? I have to think that most if not all of the radial mounts made by the ones doing it for many years would have also done this to save weight unless there was a strength/twist issue? Or you think it's purely not profitable in mass so they stuck to solid ones.
I'd put money on there just haven't been a ton of development in optimizing such a thing since theirs very little value in it. A 3D shape is expensive to someone like wilwood to machine but for someone like myself its an opportunity to differentiate with proper design. Another aspect is these tools didnt exist in standard CAD packages 5 years ago. They existed in special programs but the people who understand them dont work for companies that make basic kits. And if they do, they arent in the bracket group

Topology analysis let you specify a maximum material condition and set fixture and load cases. Then to describe it simply, removes material in order of the least important to most important. While its true, as you remove material you are weakening the part, you started with excessive material that you wouldn't have had in the a basic design. It also come out that its not always as intuitive as to where the best places to remove material are. But in general, removing holes in the middle of a box has less impact on its structure than making the box smaller. So thats sorta what you're seeing the results of here.

Originally Posted by TimC909
What is your scrub radius going to be like on this setup?

Fancy making me some for my AP calipers to suit OE Evo X rotors? I can email you the technical drawing of the caliper.
Scrub is really low with the long arms, but SAI is really high. Its basically a tradeoff in my case and I'll have to test both ways to see which is faster.

If you send me the drawings I can let you know if its feasible. Hard part for me is that it'd definitely be a 1-off thing unless others chime in about needing it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

One of the things I have been trying to decide on these is the bolt approach. I don't really want to do threads in aluminum for this. So I was thinking a time-sert from the opposite side. Would be a solid steel thread to pull on that's fixed in the bracket and be much more durable long term.

The loading I'm designing around is an offset (center of rotor position) 7500lbs braking load. I get that based on assuming rotor/tire diameters, 2g braking, 75% loading on front of the car with 75% of that taken by one side. Obviously Im not a bit brake shop with tribal knowledge so I had to create a scenario that seemed excessive. I did the same on the Porsche brake hat I made and its survived a 24h (2 x 12h really) race so far.

Quick Reply: Lets See Those Custom Parts v.2023