Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Oh true, my class is weighed without driver. But thinking about car only takes out the variability of driver weight when talking about weight thats possible.

In SM trim I can absolutely get down into the 27xx range. But my min weight is 2900lbs (2.24l), so as I pull weight from up front I have to add it to the back of the car. Right now Ive been carrying extra fuel but Zack had brought up an interesting point about that being a lot of fuel to slosh around.
with minimal fuel you will have fuel surge in left hand corners
Old Mar 10, 2019, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Just to put things in perspective, James Houghton's integra, one of the fastest time attack cars in North America still uses factory rear brakes, 260mm. Our rear brakes are waaay bigger than that, 300mm. Just because it's better doesn't mean it's going to make any noticeable improvements.
You really can't compare an Integra's braking characteristics to an Evo's as there is the small matter of having a shaft linking the front and rear axles together which in turn decreases the ease of locking the rear up..

I had somebody explain to me that by increasing the rear brake performance in moderation with the front, you actually bring the rear of the car down thus taking load and strain off the front but increase overall performance. Its as if the whole car squats equally rather than just nose dives.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 08:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by TimC909
You really can't compare an Integra's braking characteristics to an Evo's as there is the small matter of having a shaft linking the front and rear axles together which in turn decreases the ease of locking the rear up..

I had somebody explain to me that by increasing the rear brake performance in moderation with the front, you actually bring the rear of the car down thus taking load and strain off the front but increase overall performance. Its as if the whole car squats equally rather than just nose dives.
That would be called engine braking and the amount of stopping you get out of engine braking is extremely minimal, especially if you're trying to go fast regardless of if it's coming from 2 or 4 wheels. If you'd like I can also point out most of the fastest time attack evos in the USA, RS motors, Pro Awe, UMS who all use factory rear brakes.

I don't like understeer, so I see no reason to put larger brakes on the rear. A car can't "squat equally" the nose dive motion you get in braking is from weight transfer, if you reduce that nose dive motion by increasing rear braking all you're doing is reducing the weight transfer. We don't have a lot of weight in the rear of our cars, we don't need big rear brakes.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 08:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
I would probably not listen to that guys advice anymore . No matter which end brakes, braking in general applies a force at the wheel and a resultant force and moment at the CG. Regardless of how the car dives (which is controlled by the geometry), that moment will cause weight transfer will happen the same because the force at the tires are in the same ground plane. Now you could possibly get rear squat under braking if you had really bad geometry. An old Chevy Nova actually does this when lowered significantly. They look incredibly stupid tho, at the drag strip you'll see them actually rise up in the rear when launching.

Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
I would probably not listen to that guys advice anymore . No matter which end brakes, braking in general applies a force at the wheel and a resultant force and moment at the CG. Regardless of how the car dives (which is controlled by the geometry), that moment will cause weight transfer will happen the same because the force at the tires are in the same ground plane. Now you could possibly get rear squat under braking if you had really bad geometry. An old Chevy Nova actually does this when lowered significantly. They look incredibly stupid tho, at the drag strip you'll see them actually rise up in the rear when launching.
I agree with Dallas, Sounds like uve been sold a load of bull haha. You do however need to balance the 2 out. if u go for bigger front brakes and pads etc you need to match it in the rear so your brake balance isnt too far forward or back. Even tho i have AP 6 pots up front and aggressive track only pads i still only have a medium bite pad in the rear and standard 2 pot calipers otherwise i pinch rear brakes really bad.

You dont need alot of rear brake in an evo and u definately dont need to upgrade them to a bigger caliper or disc or anythn
Old Mar 10, 2019, 03:53 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts

..physics.. I'd also suggest not listening to that person again
Old Mar 10, 2019, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
In the average, modern-day car, that is pretty much impossible. You can't have weight transfer to the rear under braking. I'd also suggest not listening to that person again
yea, that's like saying you can have nose-dive under acceleration lol

one thing is that the roll/dive/pitch is just the evidence of weight transfer. if the suspension was theoretically solid or something, then maybe there wouldn't be squat/dive. weight transfer still happens though, you just wouldn't see it in the body
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
I remember seeing at least one post from someone who installed EvoX rear brakes on an VIII or IX. Good question about the e-brake, though. I'll try to find the old post and message the person for an answer.
Compared the rears today. Evo X has a much larger rear handbrake. Central section has about 20mm larger diameter.. So I would say it is far from direct swap..

The following users liked this post:
Construct (Mar 17, 2019)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
Compared the rears today. Evo X has a much larger rear handbrake. Central section has about 20mm larger diameter.. So I would say it is far from direct swap..
Thanks for checking. I'd have done it if it were a direct swap regardless of public opinion haha
Old Mar 16, 2019, 05:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
It's more than opinion ,but we get your point.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
If I had to guess, I would say that the stock brake balance is setup on the "safe" side of more front bias as not to have any issues with rear stepping out under braking. We could probably run more rear bias.... I will run manual brake bias so we will see how that works..
Just a quick comment, far from any track conditions (ax only) but with my brake booster delete, and smaller mc diameter from a drum brake lancer the rear brakes were pleasantly fun to "drag" around. Was really easy to ride the line this way. I'd be curious to see if my conversion had more or less to do with the suspension or brakes... also the car had acd.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
60/40 here bruh Full interior, 2900lbs with no real rear weight reduction. Even have wiper, washer, and seats in.

I think Zach is like 55/45 in his FP evo, but he has like 400lbs of ballast.

man thats heavy!

we went through extreme efforts to better our weight distribution and we're still 60/40
Old Mar 17, 2019, 07:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
you could directly swap the rear brakes. if u did calipers, discs, hubs, handbrake etc haha.
Youll find the mounting points are slightly diff on the rear as are the fronts and they wont mount directly to your hub.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

dry sump project going ahead... Pulley is in, it is 190 mm in diameter (to keep pump speed up to 7000 rpm) and looks ridiculous..

I am not happy with the way the lightening holes were done but that is when it is not done on a CNC but on a manual lathe... May have another made later when I see how it works.. (might need to speed up the pump.. who knows..)
The following users liked this post:
alpinaturbo (Mar 19, 2019)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Maybe I missed things, are you making your own drysump? We might need a thread just dedicated to that.

Quick Reply: Sup w/them 2023 Summer Projects?