Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

ESP Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2004, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the EVO SM2 legal

SM2 is for 2 seat sports cars only (With the exception of sedans - 4dr that do not qualify for SM)

The EVO qualifies for SM so it SM2 exempt, or am I missing something.
Old May 21, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kyperion
How is the EVO SM2 legal

SM2 is for 2 seat sports cars only (With the exception of sedans - 4dr that do not qualify for SM)

The EVO qualifies for SM so it SM2 exempt, or am I missing something.
Page 194 of the 2004 Solo II rules, Appendix A:

Class SM2
Eligible Vehicles:
A - All two-seat cars not excluded below.
B - All SM eligible sedans/coupes excluded from SM for failure to meet
weight and/or displacement limits.
C - All SM eligible vehicles, even if they do meet weight and displace-ment
limits.
D - All pickup trucks, subject to the limitations of 3.1.
Note item C.
Old May 21, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting... Sounds like there needs to be a clarification in the SM rules. While running SM2 is an interesting concept I doubt that this was the intent of the rules in Section C.

As for the modified and prepared classes, no one that I know of has prep'ed a car to that level and autocrossed it. (yet) I am sure that a rally prepared EVO would fall into either SM, prepared or modified depending on the level of mods done.... But still, have not seen it happen yet...
Old May 21, 2004, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

what I am curious about, (And yes I read all of that section this time), why the hell would you.

SM2 has a much tougher pax time modifier, which leads me to believe that the competition will be that much more intense. You would have to be crazy to make that change. at least IMHO.
Old May 21, 2004, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisw
Interesting... Sounds like there needs to be a clarification in the SM rules. While running SM2 is an interesting concept I doubt that this was the intent of the rules in Section C.
I think that quote I gave from the rule book actually is the clarification. It had been previously understood (but not written) that all SM eligible cars are also SM2 eligible. In the 2004 rule book, they put that in writing.

The intent of SM2 is to be a similar class to Street Modified, but allowing more cars to be eligible, while preserving SM as a class where four-seat cars don't have to worry about competing against Corvettes and Miatas. I doubt that they need to protect the Corvettes and Miatas from those scary 3000 pound, 2 liter Evos.
Old May 21, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kyperion
what I am curious about, (And yes I read all of that section this time), why the hell would you.

SM2 has a much tougher pax time modifier, which leads me to believe that the competition will be that much more intense. You would have to be crazy to make that change. at least IMHO.
It happens a lot more than you might think -- at both the local level and the national level.

Locally last year, we had one guy who ran a BSP-legal BMW M3 all season in SM2. And he won the season championship. Why? Because SM2 didn't have any tough local drivers.

The last three local events I've done in my SM Evo, I've been faster than the SM2 winner.

At the upcoming DC National Tour event, we've got two previous National champions running in SM, along with the guy who finished fourth (in SM) at Nationals last year. Some might suggest that everybody else is competing for fourth place. But unless I'm missing something, there are no National champions in SM2 -- the favorite seems to be the guy who placed third in B Stock at the 2003 Nationals. Running SM2 might not be such a silly idea if you are aiming for a podium finish. Especially if it rains -- as of today, the entire registered field in SM2 consists of RWD cars. A well-driven Evo could have a real shot to win there given a rainy weekend.

Last edited by jbrennen; May 21, 2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old May 21, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 992gnt
This year I have been running in the top 3 in ESP. My times would place me in the top 3 in SM as well. Your results may vary.
Congrats! May I ask what mods, if any you run?