EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Motor Sports (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/)
-   -   oil temps (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports/206065-oil-temps.html)

KZEVO Jun 12, 2006 06:54 PM

oil temps

has anyone upgraded the oil coolers on their cars? my oil temp goes up to 120C (or a little past that) during HPDEs and i'm wondering if i need to or should upgrade anything.

thanks

RazorLab Jun 12, 2006 11:15 PM

I hit 120c regulary at the track. I saw 135c+ 3 weeks ago at buttonwillow in 97F+ heat but that's because my head studs got cranky and decided to stretch. :eek:

One thing to keep in mind is your water temps go hand in hand with oil temps. 128c+ oil temps is when you want to slow down. It really depends on your oil type too. Some are ok to 140c

I use a 10w-30 and 20w-50 oil cocktail to be safe.

Warrtalon Jun 12, 2006 11:57 PM

I did my hottest road racing this past weekend (90+) in La Junta, CO, and I was peaking at 110C*. It was a 1.5-mile course that was very fast to the point that I was averaging 92.3mph on my best lap while running 25-26psi. 110C is the highest I've seen it go in any occasion. At my last track event in March, it was only 50-60* outside, and my temps stayed at 100C or lower. I have no upgraded cooling items - stock FMIC, stock radiator, stock oil cooler, stock Mobil 1 oil, etc, but I do spray alky, which cools the intake charge.

nils Jun 13, 2006 06:13 AM

kzevo, where is your temp sender located?

that makes a difference...

n

Talon Jun 13, 2006 07:01 AM

When I HPDE my Eclipse, my oil temps get to be pretty high. First few runs were ~230-240*F, and by the end of the day the gauge was maxed out a little past 250*F. Getting way up there... I am still on the car's stock oil cooler and from what I've ready, 2g oil coolers suck. I should upgrade it but I'd rather put the money into my Evo, but we'll see. I had AMSoil 1030 synth. in there which is good oil. This was going around Mid-Ohio, which is ~ 2.25 miles which has that nice long straight...

Hell, my oil temps get to be ~ 230 on hot days battling traffic on my way home from work.

What did you mean buy water temps and oil temps go hand in hand? My water temps were pretty stable the whole weekend not going above 210, though the oil temps kept rising as the day went on. Just because one is rising doesn't mean the other will do the same.

RazorLab Jun 13, 2006 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Talon

What did you mean buy water temps and oil temps go hand in hand? My water temps were pretty stable the whole weekend not going above 210, though the oil temps kept rising as the day went on. Just because one is rising doesn't mean the other will do the same.

Sorry, I meant that the water can heat up the oil.

RazorLab Jun 13, 2006 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I did my hottest road racing this past weekend (90+) in La Junta, CO, and I was peaking at 110C*. It was a 1.5-mile course that was very fast to the point that I was averaging 92.3mph on my best lap while running 25-26psi. 110C is the highest I've seen it go in any occasion. At my last track event in March, it was only 50-60* outside, and my temps stayed at 100C or lower. I have no upgraded cooling items - stock FMIC, stock radiator, stock oil cooler, stock Mobil 1 oil, etc, but I do spray alky, which cools the intake charge.

Using the stock MR oil temp sender located in the oil pan? There are temp differences from a sender in the oil pan (while indicate cooler oil temps) then a sender located in the oil filter housing. (higher temps)

I noticed a difference between the two on my MR.

KZEVO Jun 13, 2006 11:25 AM

n - the oil temp sensor is located in a sandwich adapter that mounts to the oil filter housing.

Originally Posted by nils
kzevo, where is your temp sender located?

that makes a difference...

n

RazorLab Jun 13, 2006 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by KZEVO
n - the oil temp sensor is located in a sandwich adapter that mounts to the oil filter housing.

Pretty much the same location I put my greddy sensor, although I used the spare tap above the filter in the housing, which, by the way, was a beeeeotch to get out. Mitsu must have torqued that thing to hell at the factory. I thought I cracked the housing when I finally busted it loose.

nils Jun 13, 2006 11:55 AM

there are 2 plugs by the oil filter plate.. one is before the oil cooler & the other is right after the cooler... so depending on where you put the sensor you will see dramatically different temps.... I am assuming you put your after the cooler.

Mine is located before the cooler, so I see the very hottest temps the oil will ever see..... 140c during hotlapping.

n

Az3ar Jun 13, 2006 11:56 AM

on my old 03 EVO I used to be at 260 F easy

RazorLab Jun 13, 2006 11:58 AM

there are 2 plugs by the oil filter plate.. one is before the oil cooler & the other is right after the cooler... so depending on where you put the sensor you will see dramatically different temps.... I am assuming you put your after the cooler.

Mine is located before the cooler, so I see the very hottest temps the il will ever see..... 140c all day.

n

Where did you put yours on the filter housing? I put mine in the upper spare input. Not really sure if that is before or after the cooler. I should have payed more attention. :updown:

nils Jun 13, 2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Where did you put yours on the filter housing? I put mine in the upper spare input. Not really sure if that is before or after the cooler. I should have payed more attention. :updown:

crap.. cant remember.. but you can follow oil cooler lines and figure it out pretty easily. Car is jacked up right now & I'll tkae a peek at it later in the week.

n

meanmud Jun 13, 2006 03:21 PM

Mine is located before the cooler, so I see the very hottest temps the oil will ever see..... 140c during hotlapping.

n

140C - that's testing a good synth; change it out after each event?

nils Jun 13, 2006 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by meanmud
140C - that's testing a good synth; change it out after each event?

yeah pretty much. everything is intact so far... knock on wood.

n