Notices
Northwest Region Includes AK, ID, WY, SD, MT, ND, CO.

Some very bad luck these past two days (long)...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some very bad luck these past two days (long)...

As I mentioned in the "Snow *****es!!" thread, yesterday I managed to slide into a curb taking a corner too fast (which was a crawl at best). It cost me my c/f ralliart lip and a gash on the lip of one of my Volk CE28N's (now the second of my set with curbage). I thought the worst was over, but today proved me wrong.

I was traveling on northbound I-5 around the Tacoma Mall/38th St. exit heading to Auburn to pick up a GReddy Ti-C catback for my S2000 (which I got for a steal BTW). I was cruising in the far left lane at a nice steady 65mph (yes, 5 over the speed limit). Just minding my own business when WHAMM, a ****ing late model white Mercedes rear ends me.........while I was going 65mph. He hit me so hard I was suprised I didnt get thrown into the median.

We pull off to the left shoulder to exchange info. He was a middle age middle eastern guy and his wife in the car. He was appologetic and said he was looking elsewhere and didnt see me (funny huh). Also said he had been driving 10 hours from Cali (car had Cali plates). He gave me his info (which looked shady). He had also mentioned he had just purchased the car.

Later on I filed the claim with AmFam (my insurance company). I chose to have the car fixed asap and let them do the detective work later (causing me to have to front the deductable after my car was fixed). I went to Lacey Collision to have my damage appraised. The sight of a cracked and scratched bumper that sagged a lil low and a now misalligned trunk revealed alot more. The crash beam and frame had been pushed forward and down (if that gives any indication of how hard he hit me while I was doing 65mph). Total cost was appraised at just under $3K to fix, I have a $500 deductable. I also have to wait till December 6th to bring the Evo back and leave it for 4-6 days. That means we'll probably be rolling the S2000 to the Toy Drive now.

This wasnt all. About an hour ago I got a follow up call from my insurance company saying the insurance info for the guy who hit me is either invalid or expired and that they are investigating. This might actually be a blessing in diguise because I have uninsured motorist coverage. If Farmers Insurance (the guys supposed coverage) reports back an invalid claim, then my case would be moved to an uninsured motorist fault. That would bring my deductible down to $100.

Kinda sucks I was more worried about snow and ice accidents and I end up getting into an accident that had nothing to do with it. I will post pics later of the damage.

Last edited by D Grade; Nov 24, 2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

damn that sucks! sorry to hear! thats crazy that he hit you that hard at 65mph! Other drivers has been the cause of all my wrecks (which has not been that many BTW). I think the Evo is parked for the winter for me.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

You have his name and license plate number? Report it to the police (should have done it in the first place), see where it goes from there.

Also, bad things come in three's, so either you got one more comin' or that was number 3. Watch yourself
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

^true!!!!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

unless that means that 6 bad things are comming your way.... Personal record is 9 bad things in a span of a week.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN
You have his name and license plate number? Report it to the police (should have done it in the first place), see where it goes from there.

Also, bad things come in three's, so either you got one more comin' or that was number 3. Watch yourself
I did get his supposed name and verified his lic. plate at the scene. Im filling out a report and mailing it to the DMV. Dunno how much they'll be able to do being he's from Cali.

And you know what, thats funny you said that. My mom said the same thing. About an hour ago our furnace ignitor went out in our house. Got the repair guy here fixing it now. Thats number three in the past 2 days, so I sure hope thats the last thing.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. First snow fall of the season always bring out the stupid drivers out the woodwork. I hope you get it back on the road good as new, soon.

If you don't want to use the S2000 for the toy drive, you're welcome to ride with me.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 09:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
my poor lil ce's ahhhh it even hurts me :/
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thrilla
Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. First snow fall of the season always bring out the stupid drivers out the woodwork. I hope you get it back on the road good as new, soon.

If you don't want to use the S2000 for the toy drive, you're welcome to ride with me.
I appreciate the offer, bud. Ill be driving something, weather will decide what we drive.

And yeah, it does. However the accident had nothing to do with the snow or ice which is even more disappointing/frusterating (I-5 was bare). Instead just a dumbass who was going way too fast and not paying any attention at all to what was infront of him.

Originally Posted by l888apex
my poor lil ce's ahhhh it even hurts me :/
Yeah I know. I almost got thrown into a median but heaven forbid the Volks have a gash in the lip. Its ok bro, I see how it is!

Remember its only two. I found a good shop up in Seattle that should be able to fix em' no prob.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks bro.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F0RSAKEN

+1 to reporting it to the police. At least call the police and if they don't feel like coming to the scene see if you can urge them based on shadiness of the other person.

Sorry to hear about your run of bad luck, Derek. I was actually thinking of taking the Evo out tomorrow but now I think I'll pass.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I wouldn't call the police, just go down to the station on friday and file a report.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 04:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Sounds like it's good that you had a rear bumper beam installed.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:31 AM

Police report is key, it makes a huge difference in how the insurance companies deal with it.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, I have a rear crash beam installed. No JDM rear bumper YET and when I do, Ill be making sure I get the Demonwerks JDM crash beam now.

Yeah I know. However AmFam seems pretty gun-ho about getting the car fixed which is awesome. This is my first real car accident in 11 years of driving and only had a good idea at best on what to do. It seems an accident report with the DMV will suffice.