Notices

Time for new tires!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW I have high expectations for traction- doing 75 in the rain on the freeway doesn't bother me and seems safe enough on these things- but getting understeer in a 15mph 90* turn does bother me.

I guess the best way to say it is that the LRR tires really lack lateral grip and it's very apparent in the rain/snow. OTOH - sideways errry day!
Old May 29, 2013, 07:30 AM

75mph is normal highway speeds over here, and actually by times they are even higher (ofcourse only when driving in Germany )

On my previous car I had Michelin Energy's, LRR tires. When they we're done I've swapped them for Vredestein Sporttrac3 tires, and got the same mileage on a tank of gas with added joy in the corners & rain
Those LRR's where terrible in the snow, that much I remember.

The stock tires here are Yokohama A349. They're not bad, but not great either. Could be better in the rain, but don't disappoint. Drove them on the snow also, was surprised with it. We don't have that much snow a year, but you could drive properly. Not like the previous car with the LRR's, that was horrible.

If the Yoko's are gone, we'll swap for all seasons. Probably Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS. We have a climate without extremes, and AS is the best choice for us.
If we would have winters with more snow, I'll go for two sets and the summer set would have more sporty tires.

Last edited by Ramaht; May 29, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old May 29, 2013, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I guess that's another "something" I should have stripped off my old O.Sport... those wheels. Then I would have two complete sets of summer and winter wheels!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
incase anyone was wanting to go bigger on tires, I love the A/T tires
Attached Thumbnails Time for new tires!-jaos-1.jpg  
Old Sep 10, 2014, 01:48 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Whoa... You should post some pics from a little further away so we could see the whole car. That looks awesome though!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
Whoa... You should post some pics from a little further away so we could see the whole car. That looks awesome though!
Jaos.com has it on their site.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After putting on 16" Sparco Terras' I was pleasantly reminded how a lighter wheel package can transform the feel of a low power car. Even with the clunky 70 profile all terrain tires, this package is much lighter than the stockers. The suspension feels less burdened and if you are driving a manual like me, the car accelerates much quicker. I am very happy with my choice.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fazzster
After putting on 16" Sparco Terras' I was pleasantly reminded how a lighter wheel package can transform the feel of a low power car. Even with the clunky 70 profile all terrain tires, this package is much lighter than the stockers. The suspension feels less burdened and if you are driving a manual like me, the car accelerates much quicker. I am very happy with my choice.

What size of 16" tires are those?????

What about the rims?????
Old Jan 5, 2015, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TEXAS TRAVISTY
incase anyone was wanting to go bigger on tires, I love the A/T tires
Ditto , had BFG AT's on my Cherokee and loved then to .. any specs to go with that pic ?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I have found a comprehensive database (in German but Google translate works sufficiently) containing owners' reviews of countless brands and types:
http://www.reifentest.com/
Old Dec 15, 2017, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
getting close to needing new ones for the OS.

last time i needed tires (besides snow tires) was 8 years ago, and went with Conti ExtremeComtact DWS's on my Evo, and liked them enough to get them for the wife's Forester. Wondering if they are still one of the better all-seasons as far as performance/value, or if there are better choices since then ...

i liked the fact that the Conti's were even pretty good in light snow. i have dedicated snow tires on my car, but the wife's OS will just get all-seasons, because she doesn't put a lot of miles on it, and doesn't go out if its snowing a lot.

any quick opinions?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
New All-Weather Tires Outperform Some Snow Tires | Consumer Reports

Originally Posted by Landshark
getting close to needing new ones for the OS.

last time i needed tires (besides snow tires) was 8 years ago, and went with Conti ExtremeComtact DWS's on my Evo, and liked them enough to get them for the wife's Forester. Wondering if they are still one of the better all-seasons as far as performance/value, or if there are better choices since then ...

i liked the fact that the Conti's were even pretty good in light snow. i have dedicated snow tires on my car, but the wife's OS will just get all-seasons, because she doesn't put a lot of miles on it, and doesn't go out if its snowing a lot.

any quick opinions?
Although I am a dedicated supporter of separate sets for winter and summer, here is a new test I found from Consumer Reports. The claim is very appealing ( see the title of the post).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
^
Good to know we now have new choices for winter tires.
Thanks AWCAWD!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by AWCAWD
Although I am a dedicated supporter of separate sets for winter and summer, here is a new test I found from Consumer Reports. The claim is very appealing ( see the title of the post).
thanks, i figured there was a jump in tire tech in the last 8 years or so.

i am also a supporter of dedicated snow tires as i work until midnight and often get to drive home on unplowed, unsalted roads. for this reason any car i buy (last 4 cars) is AWD *AND* they get snow tires. i drove my old Subaru Legacy GT on Blizzaks home from work around abandoned-in-the-middle-of-the-road SUV's and Jeeps back in the big snowstorm of 2010.

i don't bother with the OS because my wife doesn't really go out if its snowy. in 2.5 years, it has less than 8500 miles on it. if we go anywhere when the roads are covered, we take my car. i still want something decent in case she's out and gets caught in a bit of snow.

i don't see either of those tires on Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct, but shouldn't have a problem getting them from my local tire shop.

thanks again.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 01:02 PM

sorry to bump an old thread... so what has everyone been putting on for new tires lately??

Quick Reply: Time for new tires!