Notices

2019 Outlander Sport Towing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2020, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 Outlander Sport Towing

Why are Outlander Sports not recommended for towing? I cannot seem to wrap my head around why every single vehicle in the Outlander Sport class has upwards of 1,500lb towing capacity and the outlander sport is "not recommended for towing. All I need is a 4x6 trailer to carry some lumber. Trailer is maybe 300lbs. My max towing capacity would be well under 1,000lbs. I could probably tow that with my lawnmower. Could somebody explain this?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would assume the CVT is the issue, but I could be way off. I love my OS but the transmission is horrible for long trips or heavy loads, I think the idea of a CVT trans is great but it has definitely not been perfected yet.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 01:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SicLanEvo
I would assume the CVT is the issue, but I could be way off. I love my OS but the transmission is horrible for long trips or heavy loads, I think the idea of a CVT trans is great but it has definitely not been perfected yet.
You are spot on. The only OS I would even attempt to tow anything with would be one with a 5 speed manual transmission like mine. CVT's are belt driven and just won't take much extra stress and the hate heat and towing adds both.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh yeah my CVT hates long trips and mountains. now I have 190k and only had the transmission overheat light come on twice but those were long road trips into the mountains while the car was loaded down with people and baggage. Other than that with my mileage she is a champ.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been thinking about getting a small camping trailer about 500 pounds to pull. I have a 2015, 2.4L, CVT with 59,000 miles. I'm looking at my 2105 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Owner's Manual as I write this. In Section 11 of the owner's manual, pages 7 through 10, the chart for a 2.0 OS w/manual transmission to be a towing weight maximum of 1,600kg (3,527 pounds) if the trailer has brakes and 735kg (1,620 pounds) if the trailer doesn't have brakes. On page 8 the chart for a 2.0 OS w/CVT maximum towable weight is exactly the same. On page 10 the chart for a 2.4 OS is the same if the trailer has brakes and 750kg if the trailer doesn't have brakes. I all three cases, the tongue weight of the trailer can be a maximum of 80kg (176 pounds) according to the manual. Having pulled horse trailers and various size campers for many years, I believe those numbers are way too high for my Mitsubishi OS.

The conflict comes with the fact the same chart states the maximum gross vehicle weight is 2,210kg (4,872 pounds) and the actual base weight of the vehicle is 1,505kg (3,317 pounds). The difference available is 1,565 pounds which would be the total of passengers, luggage and trailer. Two people with their luggage and supplies would be about 500 pounds (2 people @ 200# each + 100# luggage and supplies). Subtract this and the maximum weight of a trailer could be 1,065 pounds. Based on the small campers I see that weigh in the 500-650 pound range, I think this might be doable. These trailers also have a tongue weight of 70 -90 pounds which is far less stress than a heavier trailer. I believe this would be viable for my 2.4 OS w/CVT as it provides a level of leeway that would be less likely to overload the vehicle. But, anything larger than that based on what the owner's manual states seems to me to be way out of line. I'm also looking into an aftermarket add on auxiliary transmission cooler which is available for Mitsubishi OSs with CVTs. There are 3 models available for $40, $50 and $80. I would assume a dealer would need to install this because of the sealed system of the CVT, but I'm not certain.

I say all this to not say I'm totally correct here but to ask for feedback to see if I'm on the right track. I'm tired of tent camping at 70 and would like a real roof over my head when I sleep and the number of real basic small teardrop type campers would meet that desire. Thanks in advance for any input you have!
Old Dec 7, 2020, 08:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think you are on the right track here. If you decide to do this and tow, install the additional cooler and have the CVT fluid changed at least every 30k. Have you though about a roof top tent that you could mount to the roof rack?

Like for example something like this:

Wildland Tent

Just a thought as an option.
The following users liked this post:
Kegbender (Feb 27, 2021)
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:51 AM

Thanks for Your Input!

Thanks for your input! We have looked into the roof-top tents that are out there and we are very interested with the exception of having to climb up into the tent. My spouse has bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees and doing movements like climbing up a ladder is extremely painful and difficult in spite of the knee gel treatments she receives. We're looking at some like the Runaway Cool Camp Camper at https://www.runawaycampers.com/. Again, thanks for your thoughts; they're greatly appreciated. BTW, I did look at your suggested Wildland Tents and was super impressed.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
My wife has an Outlander full size and we are going to upgrade the CVT cooler up front. You should also change the fluid every 25k-40k. As far as towing your taking your chances...
The following users liked this post:
Kegbender (Feb 27, 2021)
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

PS it had 2 filters 1 in the pan and one on top.

here is an Ok how to...
Old Aug 27, 2021, 10:01 PM

After a Few Thousand Miles...

Just wanted everyone to know that we did add an auxiliary transmission cooler and have been towing our 600 pound tiny travel trailer for a few thousand miles in the coastal flat-lands of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Virginia as well as in the Appalachian Mountains of West Virginia and Maryland. In the mountains I've backed off the speed, especially on the 5% or higher inclines, to 50 to 55 mph to protect the transmission as all of my driving has been in the summer heat in temperatures from the mid-80s to the high 90s with high humidity. I've run the AC as well the entire time for cabin comfort. I just had the transmission flush done today to get ready for the next adventures and all is running well.

Old Aug 28, 2021, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Can you give any details on the cooler you installed? How much and where you purchased? Maybe a picture or two of the way you mounted it?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:21 AM

Updated Information on the Transmission Cooler

Originally Posted by ASX_Billy
Can you give any details on the cooler you installed? How much and where you purchased? Maybe a picture or two of the way you mounted it?
My dealer recommended the local AAMCO Transmission shop to install the auxiliary cooler as they carry and install them on many vehicles with CVT transmissions (Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru). I did use them and they did a stellar job. The cost was about $320 for the unit, installation and extra fluid. Sorry I'm so late in adding relying to your request!