Notices

OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?

The German Auto Club (ADAC) conducted a test on some 20 cars equipped with keyless entry and start system (equivalent to KOS in our OS/RVR) and found that within seconds, regardless of the make, the "potential thieves" were able to drive away with those cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AHSDy6AiV0

KOS is very popular these days despite of some operational problems (some already been discussed here as well). Now a new problem is added to the list.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That is "interesting"! I have a KOS system in my Nissan and once, I dropped my wife off and started to drive away when I realized that *SHE* had the key in her purse! Luckily I got her before she got on the plane. At least I had enough gas to drive home where my key was. But the theft thing sure is, well, interesting!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I"m sure it can be done, I haven't tried it of coarse, but I do have a windows phone, and it's MORE than easy to take pictures and put them on my coworkers phone, or search through his files. lol (he's got the Galaxy 6s)
I'll be through the Bluetooth system, you could work something out that could hack or operate the door and/or start function.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Damn!
THAT's how the thefts were/are doing it!!

I was wondering how ( TV show 60 Minutes or 20/20 were showing home surveillance vids of) criminal(s) who were able to "hack" BMWs and such cars so fast and drive off from the owner's house.

At the time, I was thinking "were the criminals THAT Smart to DIY a handheld device" that instantly hack into the vehicles alarm system and then decrypt all the possible combinations of the security keys and unlock the doors & start the vehicle....

Thank you for the enlightenment!
Now I know.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Just like the fashion of the 60s (I mean dresses here) is back, it is also time for the good old steering wheel bar, gear bar, and wheel lock to live their renaissance. I doubt these sophisticated thieves would bother to saw these off. I bet it would take more than seconds. Look at how pretty they are, anyone can pick his/her own style representing personality. This last sentence of course has been added with irony. What is not funny though is that these devices require a key, then what the keyless entry is for? Oh, I know, for show off.
Attached Thumbnails OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-wheel-lock-1.jpg   OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-wheel-lock-2.jpg   OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-wheel-lock-3.jpg   OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-wheel-lock-4.jpg   OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-wheel-lock-5.jpg  

OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-wheel-lock-6.jpg   OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-gear-lock1.jpg   OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?-gear_lock_2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old Apr 23, 2016, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

The club like ones are perfect for pounding the crap out of thieves. "Honest Officer - I swear he had a knife. Must have been the glint of his belt buckle".
Old Apr 23, 2016, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
The club like ones are perfect for pounding the crap out of thieves. "Honest Officer - I swear he had a knife. Must have been the glint of his belt buckle".
I was hoping someone would mention an alternate use of the baseball bat type, when it comes to car theft. This would qualify for the two-in-one commercial slogan: Protection and retaliation. Joke aside, some part of the world car theft is much more frequent than here in 2/3 of North America. I see real advantage of these somewhere else but please do not buy keyless entry/push button start if you want these items for added security. It would be a preposterous move.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

And how about this for even more reduced security? Criminals break into your car in a parking lot, not to steal it, but to steal your home address? Off the registration papers. You aren't home - but they soon will be?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All they really need to do is use a jammer or a interference device to get the signal to your keyless entry then when you walk away walk up to use the device and then your door is open to them and they can reset your key program with the obd 2 port and a key programmer and drive off in secs.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Has gps and FHSS
http://www.innovativeignitionsystems...smartgps/c1vda
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:02 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by CottageLifer
And how about this for even more reduced security? Criminals break into your car in a parking lot, not to steal it, but to steal your home address? Off the registration papers. You aren't home - but they soon will be?
AND they steal your garage door opener. Because honestly, many, MANY people don't lock the door from the garage into the house.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Burtonrider1002
AND they steal your garage door opener. Because honestly, many, MANY people don't lock the door from the garage into the house.
I've got dogs, they would kill anyone they didn't know if they came into the house. They pretty much go ape **** if they hear a car in the driveway, or the mailman walks across the porch. Then again, I'm on a pretty open and visible area with plenty of neighbors that are always checkin' out what's up and would call the cops even if my folks showed up in a new car they didn't recognize. lol

As far as the car theft goes, I could do plenty with my Windows phone "IF" I wanted too, but then again, you've got to be pretty specific on the types of programing tools you use AND you'd have to be a criminal to do it as well. NOT something I'm interested in doing OR that I would ever help anyone else to do....
Most criminals pulling this off are NOT after a Mitsubishi, and are probably being helped by someone who has specific knowledge of this type of activity.

Local Chevy dealer had a Camaro taken of the lot, Police ensued, dealer was able to have OnStar disable the car before it got even 2 miles away.
A thief probably isn't going to take my car,,, even after I get my nice wheels N tires are on it. But if they do,,,,,,, they picked the WRONG person to jack a ride from.....
Old Apr 24, 2016, 06:29 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If someone wants your car bad enough, they are going to get it. The best you can do is make it more difficult. I would say the best you can do is install a kill switch on a critical system that doesn't have volatile memory. All those "club" systems take about 20 seconds to defeat with lock picks or power tools.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Of course they will get it if they want it. The idea is to make them get someone else's by making yours more difficult to take. A club does that. There used to be an old joke about rod bicycles: All bikes weight forty pounds. A 20 lb bike needs a 20 lb lock; a 30 lb bike needs a 10 lb lock and a 40 lb bike needs no lock at all.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Here is the latest (and alarming) news concerning KOS:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...s-relay-theft/
One more reason to own a car brand that nobody wants to steal.
It appears that one needs to invest in additional security systems like GPS tracking to prevent stealing. This of course is an extra cost thanks to the manufacturers and those consumers, who think the KOS is a necessary feature.

Quick Reply: OT (or not): How easy is to steal a car with keyless entry?