Notices

10.1" Android radio anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10.1" Android radio anyone?

Anyone else thought of getting this? Most of these outlander sport android radio bezels look like crap in my opinion but this one is glossy black and looks kinda nice.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Quad-Core-Pure-Android-4-4-4-Stereo-for-Mitsubishi-ASX-RVR-Outlander-Sport-Citroen-C4/32455995110.html

Last edited by djdanrt; May 6, 2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 1, 2016, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
/forums/topic/20943-102in-android-headunit

Someone did it to their Lancer. In short, if you have a RF system, you may have to do some custom wiring to get it to work, the fan is loud (could be his only, maybe), and you can root it like any android system to make it more custom.

Edit:
https://vimeo.com/157145511

From the Lancer forum

Last edited by Lancer Bass; May 1, 2016 at 02:16 AM. Reason: edit: I guess Lancer project is an edited word
Old May 1, 2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lancer Bass
/forums/topic/20943-102in-android-headunit

Someone did it to their Lancer. In short, if you have a RF system, you may have to do some custom wiring to get it to work, the fan is loud (could be his only, maybe), and you can root it like any android system to make it more custom.

Edit:
https://vimeo.com/157145511

From the Lancer forum
Thanks. Luckily I don't have the Rockford Fosgate system, I have the basic touchscreen model that comes with siriusxm but I dont use that anyway.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 8" one like this in my Sport. Just out it back in because it's soon enough going to be a trade in and the dealer asked for it.

You'll lose hands free functionality unless that one specifically has it built in. Mine you cannot speak to it for commands, just have to dial the name or number either on the unit or phone to make a call.

I'll take some pictures in a little bit and explain some more on it.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:48 AM

I will be getting the JBL legend cp100. Comes with CarPlay and is steering wheel control ready.
Old May 3, 2016, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatsby
I have an 8" one like this in my Sport. Just out it back in because it's soon enough going to be a trade in and the dealer asked for it.

You'll lose hands free functionality unless that one specifically has it built in. Mine you cannot speak to it for commands, just have to dial the name or number either on the unit or phone to make a call.

I'll take some pictures in a little bit and explain some more on it.
Can you use the factory mic in the headliner with the aftermarket headunit?
Old May 5, 2016, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No you cannot, at least not that I've found a hookup for. I dislike the factory Mic as it's poor quality, mine came with one that I put behind the steering wheel.

Here are the pics of mine that I failed to take the other day.

The following users liked this post:
djdanrt (May 6, 2016)
Old May 6, 2016, 07:44 PM

Well I pulled the trigger. Ive bought it.

10.2" Quad Core Android 4.4.4 Car GPS for Mitsubishi ASX RVR Outlander Sport

Ill post on here the delivery, install, and use.
Old May 7, 2016, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
the problem with these Chinese Android head units is that they are running processors from 2012 or earlier. probably better to spend the money and get a HU that runs Android Auto or Apple Carplay, and use the processing power of a modern smart phone.

they may work ok, i don't know ... or they may be a giant PITA.

i know the frustration - i used to have a Clarion AutoPC back in the day.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Landshark
the problem with these Chinese Android head units is that they are running processors from 2012 or earlier. probably better to spend the money and get a HU that runs Android Auto or Apple Carplay, and use the processing power of a modern smart phone.

they may work ok, i don't know ... or they may be a giant PITA.

i know the frustration - i used to have a Clarion AutoPC back in the day.
All new radios use hardware technology that's a few years old, all. Id be very surprised to find a octacore 2+ gig of memory on any car radio on the planet. If you did happen to find one id bet it cost as much as a space shuttle.These smart radios or whatever you what to call them have changed radios and their shelf life.

If I bought a kenwood,alpine,ect that has any phone/internet "special feature" it will eventually go stale and be unsupported. Android Auto, phone mirroring, ect. The only things that will truly last are AM/FM, GPS(sort of) and those kind of things, its the same for a Chinese radios.
Old May 8, 2016, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djdanrt
All new radios use hardware technology that's a few years old, all. Id be very surprised to find a octacore 2+ gig of memory on any car radio on the planet. If you did happen to find one id bet it cost as much as a space shuttle.These smart radios or whatever you what to call them have changed radios and their shelf life.

If I bought a kenwood,alpine,ect that has any phone/internet "special feature" it will eventually go stale and be unsupported. Android Auto, phone mirroring, ect. The only things that will truly last are AM/FM, GPS(sort of) and those kind of things, its the same for a Chinese radios.

understood, but HU's that use Android Auto or Carplay use the processing power of your *smartphone* - it is just an overlay on the screen - the HU doesn't need much processing muscle. if you have an octacore smartphone, that is what is doing the Navigation/Music/etc. - the HU is just *displaying* it.

the Chinese Android HU's are basically an Android tablet for your car, and all functions are being run by an old-*** CPU. think of an old tablet from several years ago - do you want to deal with that in your car? slow boot up, freezing? no thanks.
Old May 8, 2016, 12:49 PM

understood, but HU's that use Android Auto or Carplay use the processing power of your *smartphone* - it is just an overlay on the screen - the HU doesn't need much processing muscle. if you have an octacore smartphone, that is what is doing the Navigation/Music/etc. - the HU is just *displaying* it.

the Chinese Android HU's are basically an Android tablet for your car, and all functions are being run by an old-*** CPU. think of an old tablet from several years ago - do you want to deal with that in your car? slow boot up, freezing? no thanks.
Most of those Chinese units use the RK3188 which is barley 3 years old. Id be willing to bet any "NEW" radio you can list has 3+ year old cpu specs. I could upgrade that radio I bought to 5.1 (lollipop) and it could run android auto but Android Auto is the last app id want to run anyway. I just want igo, Waze, and radio plus BT phone calls. I don't get how you think the radio will be freezing and acting slow. Also your first paragraph invalidates your second paragraph. I mean yes the android OS for a car would be slower to boot but for a huge screen and android OS ill wait the extra 10 seconds. The speed while its on is very quick, its not going to go slower over time, not really.

Also keep in mind I'm not paying a lot of money for the Chinese unit and there is something to be said about not having to worry about someone stealing a $2000 alpine,kenwood, ect. No one is going to want to steal a custom Chinese radio.

I know this is one of those to each their own moments I just don't follow your logic. My brother bought a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL in 2010, bought it brand new and picked out all the options. One of those ford options was the super rare 8" touch screen navigation, AC, ect. It cost him $3500 as an option. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing ever and now 6 years later the technology is kind of ancient. Its still very useful and I still think its cool as hell. All of what makes it cool will remain that way till he drives it into the ground. Your logic would suggest it would have been obsolete by now. I bet the CPU specs are below 900mhz.
Old May 8, 2016, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djdanrt
Most of those Chinese units use the RK3188 which is barley 3 years old. Id be willing to bet any "NEW" radio you can list has 3+ year old cpu specs.
IT DOESN'T MATTER - the smartphone will be doing the work, the HU will just be displaying it on the screen.

The speed while its on is very quick, its not going to go slower over time, not really.
Yeah, I thought the same about my $600 ASUS tablet - was top of the line a couple years ago. Now it's a laggy POS. Even rooted with custom ROM, it sucks.

Also keep in mind I'm not paying a lot of money for the Chinese unit and there is something to be said about not having to worry about someone stealing a $2000 alpine,kenwood, ect. No one is going to want to steal a custom Chinese radio.
There's a $399 JBL unit that runs AA and CarPlay on Crutchfield, probably even cheaper elsewhere.

I Know this is one of those to each their own moments I just don't follow your logic. My brother bought a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL in 2010, bought it brand new and picked out all the options. One of those ford options was the super rare 8" touch screen navigation, AC, ect. It cost him $3500 as an option. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing ever and now 6 years later the technology is kind of ancient. Its still very useful and I still think its cool as hell. All of what makes it cool will remain that way till he drives it into the ground. Your logic would suggest it would have been obsolete by now. I bet the CPU specs are below 900mhz.
That's the whole point of using your smartphone - you don't need a built-in GPS receiver, a powerful processor, lots of RAM, etc. - the phone takes care of that. What I WOULD be interested in is a good quality amplifier and audio quality, which I bet the cheap Chinese units probably do not do well.
Old May 8, 2016, 05:06 PM

IT DOESN'T MATTER - the smartphone will be doing the work, the HU will just be displaying it on the screen.
I know, Even more reason that "old-*** CPU"(as you put it)on board doesn't matter. You proved my point for me. Its like you are arguing with me and yourself.

I still have a tablet that is around 2-3 years old and its still fast and does everything I wanted it for. Does it play the very latest games on google play, probably not. Hell we have Apple Air at work, those arent getting replaced anytime soon. I'll just tell my boss its 3 years old and we should ditch them, phfttt.

I'm not trying to sell you on this, obviously its not for you and obviously you prefer Audio quality above everything else. My ears aren't as sharp, the android will sound as good as factory to me, ive never been a big "audio" person. Its just weird to compare a 3 year old chip saying its out of date while using a radio that contains a chip that's at least 3 years old.

What radio do you use now and what new CPU is in there? THATS MY POINT!!!!!

There's a $399 JBL unit that runs AA and CarPlay on Crutchfield, probably even cheaper elsewhere.
Who cares about JBL carplay, Android Auto for $399? I bet the screen is tiny. Still more expensive than the one I got. I do not like Android auto.
Old May 8, 2016, 05:11 PM

Yeah, I thought the same about my $600 ASUS tablet - was top of the line a couple years ago. Now it's a laggy POS. Even rooted with custom ROM, it sucks.

That's the whole point of using your smartphone - you don't need a built-in GPS receiver, a powerful processor, lots of RAM, etc. - the phone takes care of that. What I WOULD be interested in is a good quality amplifier and audio quality, which I bet the cheap Chinese units probably do not do well.
See how slow this one is. Where is the lag? Besides the slow startup which I do acknowledge.

Quick Reply: 10.1" Android radio anyone?