EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   04-06 Ralliart Tires/Wheels/Brakes/Suspension (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-95/)
-   -   looking for tires for my 05 RA (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04-06-ralliart-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/400099-looking-tires-my-05-ra.html)

BlackRaven Apr 6, 2009 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by RalliartN (Post 6767376)
A key reason I bought Toyo T1R is it weighs 2 pounds less than stock tire or most aftermarket rubber. This makes a noticable difference in reducing wheel hop and in suspension reaction over bumps.

On a related note, I was shocked at how noticable the stock wheel/tire combo weight is...when I got my summer set (17" MB Weapons w/ Nitto Neo Gens in 215/40-17) they are a lot lighter. I always thought going with a bigger wheel typically means heavier overall...

Originally Posted by bruce988jl (Post 6767376)
Goodyear Eagle f1 GS-d3's - 225/40/17 and 225/45/17 - REALLY tight side wall, in fact my tire guy hates these tires because of the stiffness to mount them. Otherwise they do great in the rain, dry and have lasted me 6K miles and barely show any wear.

bruce, with either size, did you have significant rubbing/have to roll your fenders/use wheel spacers/etc.?

bruce988jl Apr 6, 2009 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlackRaven (Post 6904295)
bruce, with either size, did you have significant rubbing/have to roll your fenders/use wheel spacers/etc.?

With 225/45/17 paired with 17x7 +42 inch rims you will have to roll your fenders in the rear and hammer a part of the fender liner in on the front. Event still if you don't use a tire with a curved sidewall-to-contact surface transition you will rub a bit. The reason is that there is that mounting tab between the bumper and the 1/4 panel that rubs on the tire and can cut into it if its sharp enough. There isn't a way to go around it unless you hack it off and rivet your rear bumper on. Now mind you maybe with a +45 tire you'll have better luck but that's just my experience. I didn't use any spacers because it was rubbing due to it sticking out too much.

With a 225/45/16 you won't have problems. I plan on running a 225/45/17 up front and a 215/50/17 in back when I get my summer setup repainted.

omgivec Apr 6, 2009 03:30 PM

Bruce do you have a pic of the stock rims with the 25/40/16 tires i would like to see how it looks cuz i wanted the tire to be 40 but couldnt fin one.

bruce988jl Apr 6, 2009 04:13 PM

Sorry dude,
I didn't take ANY photos of my car all of last year.. It spent most of it in the shop getting the tranny rebuilt... twice haha

Give me a week or two and I'll have the goodyears remounted for summer and I can take some shots...
All I can say was that there was a large amount of wheel gap... no thanks to the 40's sidewall.. haha looked hideous, but I don't have a choice right now.

omgivec Apr 6, 2009 08:05 PM

ok bro, just wanted to see how the car looks, do you have springs? cuz i have teins. i want the tires a little lower cuz right now they rub a little when i turn the wheel completelly.

bruce988jl Apr 6, 2009 09:39 PM

I have that problem with my 225/45/17 and my 205/55/16's... Its inevitable in my opinion.

I am on stock suspension.

bruce988jl Apr 14, 2009 08:31 AM

I'll take photos of it soon, I just got the 225/40/16's mounted on the stock rims. Might I suggest never to combine these two sizes with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-d3's.... the side wall is SO stiff that we had 2-3 people on the tire pushing it down as we mounted them...

Also I have the worse case of wheel gap now its hideous. At least I handle really well... I don't care too much about looks anymore as the car's all beat up and dirty.

TheGreek Apr 16, 2009 10:47 AM

BFG G force sport have comparable performance numbers to the KDW-2, are less noisy, and cost about $28 less per tire ($80 vs. $108).

G Force Sport:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....6GFSP&i1_Qty=4

KDW-2:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....AKDW2&i1_Qty=4

The G Force Sport's just aren't as pretty.

I like BFG's. I had some comp t/a's and later some euro t/a's on an sport truck I used to have, and thought they were great for the price.

blackhawkRA May 4, 2009 07:51 PM

I would recommend KDW2's, F1 GS-D3, and Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec. I've had all of these, and all have great grip, first two have amazing wet traction as well (I've heard the star specs do as well in this category, but I just got them). The KDW2's withstood two long and hot track days, a couple auto-x's and provided really good handling, stiff widewalls, super responsive and communicative, very smooth break-away at the limit. Pretty much same thing goes for the GS-D3's. No track days but lots of auto-x and provided great handling all the way 'til the end. In fact I miss my almost-dead F1's because very little no tread block = great turn-in and quick steering response.

New star specs have probably even better grip than my last two sets so far. At auto-x yesterday they held up surprisingly well and provided the most grip I've ever felt I think.

Go to tirerack.com for full user reviews and professional tests and write-ups.

avisame si quieres mas info de ellos tres.