EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart Engine/Turbo/Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain-309/)
-   -   Conical intakes BEWARE! TTP tunes a 2009 Ralliart with fueling problems from intake! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-engine-turbo-drivetrain/435184-conical-intakes-beware-ttp-tunes-2009-ralliart-fueling-problems-intake.html)

Jake26 Jul 25, 2009 09:18 PM

yeah i had the problem with UR intake after we attempted to get my ralliart tuned, we could not get anything that would wow me.. The car ran lean as hell, we were almost running out of gas.

see for yourself

** i went and took my UR sri off and put my stock airbox back on.. i did order a k & n drop in filter..

https://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2476/uu002.jpg

nj1266 Jul 25, 2009 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jake26 (Post 7321591)
yeah i had the problem with UR intake after we attempted to get my ralliart tuned, we could not get anything that would wow me.. The car ran lean as hell, we were almost running out of gas.

see for yourself

** i went and took my UR sri off and put my stock airbox back on.. i did order a k & n drop in filter..

The intake is not the problem. ALL intakes mess up the fuel trims on a hotwire MAF. Some intakes make the trims positive and run the AFR rich at WOT and some make the trims negative and lean out the AFR at WOT.

What the tuner needs to do is adjust the injector latency to overcome this problem.

I tuned an Evo X today that had an AEM intake and the LTFT were +10.9%. I adjusted the trims and brought them down to +4%.

Then I tuned the car. I ran the stock fuel map and the car ran at 11:1 AFR. I could not believe it. I simply touched up the fuel map and got the AFR to 11.5:1. That is all I did to the fuel map.

Tuners must adjust the injector latency on these cars BEFORE they tune the fuel map. That takes a lot of time. It took me ONE hour of logging the trims at idle and cruise to get them stable before I started tuning. If the trims are not stable, then the AFR will fluctuate as the trims change.

TTP Engineering Jul 26, 2009 12:21 AM

Its not the intake that is the problem, it is the maf housing size.

nj1266 Jul 26, 2009 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering (Post 7321868)
Its not the intake that is the problem, it is the maf housing size.

The MAF housing on a hotwire MAF is part of the intake. Unlike the Evo 8/9 that has its own MAF housing that is attached to the intake pipe, the Evo X does not have that. The housing is part of the intake. When an intake is installed the hotwire is removed from the stock tube/housing and placed in the metal tube in a CNC machined hole that is part of the intake.

That changes the airflow and tuners MUST adjust the MAF scaling to fix the problem. Since there is no MAF scaling table in ECUflash yet, then the next best thing is to adjust the latency. If a tuner does not do that, then the result is 7.4:1 AFR targets in the fuel map.

TTP Engineering Jul 26, 2009 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nj1266 (Post 7322193)
The MAF housing on a hotwire MAF is part of the intake. Unlike the Evo 8/9 that has its own MAF housing that is attached to the intake pipe, the Evo X does not have that. The housing is part of the intake. When an intake is installed the hotwire is removed from the stock tube/housing and placed in the metal tube in a CNC machined hole that is part of the intake.

That changes the airflow and tuners MUST adjust the MAF scaling to fix the problem. Since there is no MAF scaling table in ECUflash yet, then the next best thing is to adjust the latency. If a tuner does not do that, then the result is 7.4:1 AFR targets in the fuel map.

Only the UR intake was tested and for Ralliart only.

We have not placed all intakes into a category together at this point until further testing can be completed on other manufacturers unit.

gizmotoy Jul 26, 2009 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports (Post 7308298)
Just to clear the air as this thread is a little misleading.

In regards to AMS products and AMS PRODUCTS ONLY!

On an EVO X you can run an AMS intake without a tune SAFELY!
On a 2009 Ralliart you CANNOT run an AMS intake without a tune.

They are two TOTALLY Different animals.

Again the problem is with the RALLIART ONLY in regards to AMS PRODUCTS ONLY

We cannot speak for any other intake on the market but we suspect that any intake for the ralliart that changes the diameter or anything to do with the MAF will cause a lean condition.

Eric

I saw this when it was briefly over on the X forum, so thought I should chime in. I have an Evo X with an AMS intake, and got tuned this weekend. Low in the RPM band on the stock tune I was almost off-the-chart lean (14+ AFR). Who knows if I have any permanent damage (I ran like that for several months because AMS said it was safe), but I would advise thinking twice about installing any intake that alters the MAF housing size without immediately getting a custom tune. That goes for the RA or the X.

murlo26 Jul 26, 2009 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by gizmotoy (Post 7322240)
I saw this when it was briefly over on the X forum, so thought I should chime in. I have an Evo X with an AMS intake, and got tuned this weekend. Low in the RPM band on the stock tune I was almost off-the-chart lean (14+ AFR). Who knows if I have any permanent damage (I ran like that for several months because AMS said it was safe), but I would advise thinking twice about installing any intake that alters the MAF housing size without immediately getting a custom tune. That goes for the RA or the X.

Something else was wrong with your car then, its not the AMS intake. I just posted up a dyno of my AFR with stock tune and AMS intake, it was still way rich, as in 9's.

AMS said it was safe because it is, they even say their Ralliart one needs to be tuned, they know what they are doing.

JaxRRevoX Jul 26, 2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by murlo26 (Post 7323967)
Something else was wrong with your car then, its not the AMS intake. I just posted up a dyno of my AFR with stock tune and AMS intake, it was still way rich, as in 9's.

AMS said it was safe because it is, they even say their Ralliart one needs to be tuned, they know what they are doing.

http://cdn.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/yeahthat.gif...x100000000

gizmotoy Jul 26, 2009 08:36 PM

I guess I'll send AMS an email, then. I only have AMS's intake and their dual exhuast, so there's not a whole lot of room for other stuff to be wrong. I doubt it's the exhaust, so that leaves only the intake. I'll see what they say, though.

def1 Jul 26, 2009 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by gizmotoy (Post 7322240)

if you were running that lean for months you surely would have melted pistons by now and you would know it. Are you positive that your car is running 14+ afr at WOT?

gizmotoy Jul 26, 2009 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by def1 (Post 7324241)
if you were running that lean for months you surely would have melted pistons by now and you would know it. Are you positive that your car is running 14+ afr at WOT?

I was tuned at Buschur Racing, so given their reputation I would say that they have a pretty good handle on their equipment. The car responded very well to additional fuel (306whp, up about 50hp from stock tune w/ same setup), which would seem to be another indicator.

However, I do not have my own wideband gauge. This was on their equipment, so I cannot personally be certain, no.

xdemoulasx Jul 26, 2009 11:28 PM

Okay so it looks like this isn't too safe. I'm 1000 miles away now though so no chance of a retune. How bad would it be for me to put the stock airbox back on and my WORKS filter back in? I will be running super rich right?

Ladogaboy Jul 27, 2009 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by xdemoulasx (Post 7324633)
Okay so it looks like this isn't too safe. I'm 1000 miles away now though so no chance of a retune. How bad would it be for me to put the stock airbox back on and my WORKS filter back in? I will be running super rich right?

Well, if you haven't had your car tuned for an intake, I don't see how putting the stock airbox on would make the car run too rich. I wouldn't think that it would be any richer than stock. :confused:

ReaperSevero Jul 27, 2009 12:41 PM

What about Injen's CAI. Has anyone bought it and taken it to then Dyno and check if it runs lean or not. It is supposed to be tuned from factory. Has anyone check this out?

evil03 Jul 27, 2009 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperSevero (Post 7326780)
What about Injen's CAI. Has anyone bought it and taken it to then Dyno and check if it runs lean or not. It is supposed to be tuned from factory. Has anyone check this out?

+1...{thumbup}