EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   09+ Ralliart Show and Shine (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-show-shine-312/)
-   -   Foglight Delete Project (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09-ralliart-show-shine/510749-foglight-delete-project.html)

gccruz Aug 25, 2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by SOG RA (Post 8615916)
Good work man, I am impressed. Its great to see someone on here take things into their own hands when it comes to things they want on their RA, very cool. I am new to import cars and sincerely mean this not to be mean but what is the point of a fog delete/duct kit? I know that it will direct air flow to the sst, but is it mostly an aesthetic thing more than anything else?

@SOG RA,
I don't know. I am cool with my fog lights. But it seemed like a good challenging project that people are interested in.

Thanks for all the good comments.

billyboy1 Aug 25, 2010 08:54 PM

looking great so far!!!!

sogRA, it's all about getting more air flow to the sst cooler to make the sst box operate more within the heat range efficiently and to avoid the dreaded 'slow down' thingy from happening :)

(well, that would be the logic behind it for more air = makes the cooler work better)

gccruz Aug 25, 2010 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by billyboy1 (Post 8616061)
looking great so far!!!!

sogRA, it's all about getting more air flow to the sst cooler to make the sst box operate more within the heat range efficiently and to avoid the dreaded 'slow down' thingy from happening :)

(well, that would be the logic behind it for more air = makes the cooler work better)

Also if your trans temp goes over 200 or 250deg (don't remember exactly) it will cut the fluids life in half each time it gets that hot. So it would be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so on from the original life of the fluid.

And on the Evo X you have an oil cooler on the passangers side and most have a CAI on drivers side.

boondoc Aug 25, 2010 09:59 PM

Subscribed! I like my fogs too but the FLD on the X's look nice so i'm sure it'll look good on the RA.

>Cataclysm< Aug 25, 2010 10:30 PM

Looks good gccruz! I would definitely grab a set of these plus the exit bumper cover!

03chi-town0Z Aug 26, 2010 12:17 PM

lookin good. like everyone has said, and we kinda touched on too, as long as the ducts are toward the cooler it should achieve the desired result. the thing is though, what i was saying before, that the car is technically already designed with somewhat of an airflow director channel inside the bumper for the sst cooler, so the ducting on the fog delete would just use that idea, but would still be blocking some of the air potential by using the size-reduction style inlet, where a full bezel replacement with just a slight ducting and lip around the front edge would allow for maximum airflow potential with a proper setup.

I see what you're doing, and youre the only one who's actually done anything about this situation at all, so theres really not much room to complain, especially since the quality of your work is really great. i just feel like your design is more focused on aesthetics versus the more performance-oriented end goal i have in mind when it comes to fog deletes.

gccruz Aug 26, 2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z (Post 8617912)
lookin good. like everyone has said, and we kinda touched on too, as long as the ducts are toward the cooler it should achieve the desired result. the thing is though, what i was saying before, that the car is technically already designed with somewhat of an airflow director channel inside the bumper for the sst cooler, so the ducting on the fog delete would just use that idea, but would still be blocking some of the air potential by using the size-reduction style inlet, where a full bezel replacement with just a slight ducting and lip around the front edge would allow for maximum airflow potential with a proper setup.

I see what you're doing, and youre the only one who's actually done anything about this situation at all, so theres really not much room to complain, especially since the quality of your work is really great. i just feel like your design is more focused on aesthetics versus the more performance-oriented end goal i have in mind when it comes to fog deletes.

I'll have the front bumper off next week. I will take a closer look and also mould the entire opening and I well go from there. I gotta to try to keep both aesthetics and performance in mind.

03chi-town0Z Aug 26, 2010 06:25 PM

cool man. i'm not trying to knock what you're doing at all, please understand that. you're doing great things to help the community and you're pretty much the only option we have and anything is better than nothing. more like i'm just stating a personal preference and trying to explain a potential point of view others may have as well and may not be able or willing to express it.

gccruz Aug 26, 2010 06:49 PM

Chi don't worry about it. It's only cuz of you that I have scrapped the old idea and started over. JK. Lol. I put my original design in the opening and it seemed small. So I am working on a redesign. I'll keep you all up to date.

Alterna Aug 26, 2010 08:30 PM

I'll take a set.

EvoOtto Aug 27, 2010 05:52 AM

Lookin very promising. This could be something I might throw money at. Opening the fog lamp opening more while keeping the integrity of the mount is key. I wonder if you could steal a small amount of air from the right corner of the intercooler opening as well. Looks like a gap that is not focused on either cooler. Keep up the good work! {thumbup}

ETS Michael Aug 27, 2010 08:10 AM

Nice Work!

08Lancer89 Aug 27, 2010 08:41 AM

Open duct yes. To the sst cooler I'm down for a set and if you need any help let me know gccruz

DavidAnthony Aug 29, 2010 01:28 AM

Has anyone done a chrome ring delete? Where instead of painting black a different ring is put in its place. I think it would look good if the ring sat flat instead of sticking out.

boondoc Aug 29, 2010 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by DavidAnthony (Post 8624703)
Has anyone done a chrome ring delete? Where instead of painting black a different ring is put in its place. I think it would look good if the ring sat flat instead of sticking out.

Thats not a bad idea but being such an easy fix as in painting/plasti-dip there really isn't much demand for a full replacement. I could be wrong :dunno: