EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Discussion / Rumors (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/discussion-rumors-404/)
-   -   "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/discussion-rumors/580250-evo-xi-rumors-speculations-media-reports.html)

TeachersEvo Jul 31, 2013 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by olmoscd (Post 10901825)
About weight balance? The AWD requirements of an Evo? Regenerative braking? What "lot" am I assuming?

-electric motors in front
-over 4k lb because no CF/Alloys (particularly ridiculous when you consider the current cars extensive use of Al)
-500hp
-evo "finished" when no one knows what it is yet / no one will buy it
-goal of Mitsu is to match GTR (it probably isn't, at all. notice all the MIEV racing lately?)
-height adjustable seats and navigation

Should I continue pointing out the assumptions you make? Or can we wait and see if the damn thing even gets out of the concept phase and see what we are really dealing with?

redleg225 Jul 31, 2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by olmoscd (Post 10901742)
They should do a...

They also need to...

Originally Posted by TeachersEvo (Post 10905450)
-electric motors in front
-over 4k lb because no CF/Alloys (particularly ridiculous when you consider the current cars extensive use of Al)
-500hp
-evo "finished" when no one knows what it is yet / no one will buy it
-goal of Mitsu is to match GTR (it probably isn't, at all. notice all the MIEV racing lately?)
-height adjustable seats and navigation

Should I continue pointing out the assumptions you make? Or can we wait and see if the damn thing even gets out of the concept phase and see what we are really dealing with?

You should look above and re-read. What they ought to do is not the same as what I think they will do.

Also I never assumed 500HP, height adjustable seets (really? if you read my posts I clearly don't understand why people want this--are there a bunch of dwarfs Evo owners?) or Mitsu's goal of matching the GT-R. That's other people's delusions I'm arguing against, actually.

I'm with you on waiting, though. I'm open to whatever Mitsu engineers want to do but my expectations are not high at all, considering history and their economic situation.

ChipperEvo Aug 1, 2013 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by olmoscd (Post 10905617)
You should look above and re-read. What they ought to do is not the same as what I think they will do.

Also I never assumed 500HP, height adjustable seets (really? if you read my posts I clearly don't understand why people want this--are there a bunch of dwarfs Evo owners?) or Mitsu's goal of matching the GT-R. That's other people's delusions I'm arguing against, actually.

I'm with you on waiting, though. I'm open to whatever Mitsu engineers want to do but my expectations are not high at all, considering history and their economic situation.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Nissan is a tough spot economically when they introduced the new GTRs?

Ladogaboy Aug 1, 2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Methodical4u (Post 10904960)
I still don't buy 500 hp. I think most of you will be disappointed when the real power outputs are shown. Like I said, going from 291 to 500? Really? The car doesn't even need that much power... it can run a 13 flat in the 2011 and up models in stock form. Adding a simple 50-75 hp would likely yield a mid 12 second car stock.

Remember, that 291 hp was from a car that was designed when the Japanese "Gentleman's Agreement" was still in place. From what I've seen, it looks like they are going to keep the standard 4B11T in place (even nerfed, it should have close to the RA's power numbers), and they are adding the equivalent of 150-200 hp worth of electric motors to the platform. That puts it very close to 500 hp.

Originally Posted by olmoscd (Post 10905392)
Ok so the XI will "possibly match" the performance of a Track Edition GT-R (a $120k car) which is on par with a 997 Turbo S in performance (a $150k car).

Let's go to fantasy land and assume Mitsubishi pulls that off and makes an Evolution compete with the above mentioned top-tier sports cars.

Prius's don't have any hybrid incentives and neither do many hybrids these days. The incentives are in electric vehicles. So the Evo will start at "over $40k" but the US Gov't will give $10k in incentives for a Mistubishi?

So in your educated prediction, you pay low $30's because the US Government will heavily subsidize (more than they do for their domestic Volt and Tesla) for a Japanese ~$45k MSRP car that keeps up with $120k+ supercars?

I'm gonna go back to the troll theory. This has to be a troll.

Or, you could stick with the theory that you just aren't very knowledgeable on these matters. The rebate is based on battery size. The Volt and Model S get the full rebate because of their battery size. The Prius doesn't qualify because its battery is too small (the Prius PHEV does qualify, but for a smaller rebate, by the way). The current information is that Mitsubishi is sizing the batteries to be ~ 12 kWh, which will qualify for most of the Federal rebate (~ $5,500). Additionally, individual states also offer rebates up to as much as $5,000.

Methodical4u Aug 1, 2013 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by olmoscd (Post 10905402)
Yes and circuit lap times are where the story really lies. The 2014 GT-R TE is an absolute monster at changing direction and stopping. Not just rocketing past 1320 ft.

The guy you're replying to is just being a troll. Nobody actually believes that Mitsubishi is going to compete with GT-R level performance with their new $35k hybrid. The real expectation (and I may be shooting too high) is that a 2015 Evo XI will be within visual distance of a 2008 GT-R or a base Corvette C6 (I originally wrote C7 but there's no way that would happen) on a track.

Hey, if they want to bring 500 hp to the table that would be awesome, but like I said... IMO it makes zero sense for anyone to believe that this car would be anywhere near 500 hp. Does anyone have any idea how much that would cost? I mean really?? Mitsu is not going to go from 30-42k and then jump tens of thousands of dollars which would sell them very few. I would say the majority of Evo owners, or previous ones who would like to come back (such as myself) can't afford that. IF it did happen, they would only be shooting themselves in the foot.

Methodical4u Aug 1, 2013 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 10907776)
Remember, that 291 hp was from a car that was designed when the Japanese "Gentleman's Agreement" was still in place. From what I've seen, it looks like they are going to keep the standard 4B11T in place (even nerfed, it should have close to the RA's power numbers), and they are adding the equivalent of 150-200 hp worth of electric motors to the platform. That puts it very close to 500 hp.

Sorry man, I don't agree with you about the hp numbers and even though i'm broke at the moment, i'll even do a friendly bet with you for 20.00 that it doesn't happen.

ugakirk Aug 2, 2013 05:20 AM

If they have a 210hp engine, then around 150-200hp motors, That would put it in the 375hp-400hp range, which would be awesome IMO..

Something I just thought of... We all know how much Mitsu loves to honor their warranty on the Evos.. :lol: Could these electric motors cause even a bigger problem as far as warranty? For example, could Mitsu deny a warranty on the electric motor because of new wheels? Couldn't they say that the new wheels put more of a load on the electric motor since it is directly powering the wheel?

Anyway, with all the rumors out there, I'm just really looking forward to some kind of official press release, info, or something that can tell us what the powertrain will be and what it will look like.

Methodical4u Aug 2, 2013 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by c_sautter (Post 10908161)
Just saw this on Yahoo news: http://autos.yahoo.com/news/toyota-s...190318567.html

The article is not about Mitsubishi, however it does mention that Mitsu is planning on upscaling the Evo XI. Anyone else hear of this? Its news to me.

Which part is news to you? That they are upscaling the XI? I'm not quite getting your question on that one.

Either way though, if I still owned an X, i'd hold onto it for the time being. Just in case this new one turns out to be a flop and people want their old ones back.

Methodical4u Aug 2, 2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ugakirk (Post 10907973)
If they have a 210hp engine, then around 150-200hp motors, That would put it in the 375hp-400hp range, which would be awesome IMO..

Something I just thought of... We all know how much Mitsu loves to honor their warranty on the Evos.. :lol: Could these electric motors cause even a bigger problem as far as warranty? For example, could Mitsu deny a warranty on the electric motor because of new wheels? Couldn't they say that the new wheels put more of a load on the electric motor since it is directly powering the wheel?

Anyway, with all the rumors out there, I'm just really looking forward to some kind of official press release, info, or something that can tell us what the powertrain will be and what it will look like.

To compete with Ford, Chevy, etc, all upping their power outputs, it would have to be at least 350 hp, so 375 and MAYBE 400 I could see. 500 is just ridiculous for anyone to actually believe.

redleg225 Aug 2, 2013 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 10907776)
Or, you could stick with the theory that you just aren't very knowledgeable on these matters. The rebate is based on battery size. The Volt and Model S get the full rebate because of their battery size. The Prius doesn't qualify because its battery is too small (the Prius PHEV does qualify, but for a smaller rebate, by the way). The current information is that Mitsubishi is sizing the batteries to be ~ 12 kWh, which will qualify for most of the Federal rebate (~ $5,500). Additionally, individual states also offer rebates up to as much as $5,000.

Except that you've owned the argument from ignorance theory so i wouldn't want to take that from you.

You're completely ignoring responding to the part where you claim a 500HP Evolution will be competing with a Track Edition GT-R or 997 Turbo S, which is not only ignorant to expect, it's absolutely insane.

Then you're grasping at straws with Federal subsidies but clearly you're aware that a $10,500 rebate on a japanese sport sedan is going to be quite difficult to get.

As if all that weren't enough, you don't seem to find an economic issue with $35k purchasing a brand new, $120k supercar-killer. This would be the most revolutionary advance in manufacturing and material costs, ever, unless Mitsubishi is willing to sell the cars at a massive loss.

Yep; sticking with the troll theory. Impossible that you believe all this garbage.

rip03tarmac Aug 2, 2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by rip03tarmac (Post 10900353)
I agree with jazket. I believe mits will bring back a monster of a 3000gt maybe even with a vr-4 variant, it will be the a GTR killer! However when it comes to the evo I think that it will deliver power similarly with more tq and be less of a rally car, more a cheap luxury sports sedan, unfortunately.

I think alot of you are hung up on the idea that this possible 500hp beast will be the next evo. That is not logical to me. The only way it makes sense is if Mits brings back the 3000gt or calls it something else, not evo. This car should really have its own thread or even forum.

Ladogaboy Aug 2, 2013 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by olmoscd (Post 10908361)
Except that you've owned the argument from ignorance theory so i wouldn't want to take that from you.

You're completely ignoring responding to the part where you claim a 500HP Evolution will be competing with a Track Edition GT-R or 997 Turbo S, which is not only ignorant to expect, it's absolutely insane.

Then you're grasping at straws with Federal subsidies but clearly you're aware that a $10,500 rebate on a japanese sport sedan is going to be quite difficult to get.

As if all that weren't enough, you don't seem to find an economic issue with $35k purchasing a brand new, $120k supercar-killer. This would be the most revolutionary advance in manufacturing and material costs, ever, unless Mitsubishi is willing to sell the cars at a massive loss.

Yep; sticking with the troll theory. Impossible that you believe all this garbage.

Making a claim is very different than stating that it is a possibility. In terms of performance, electric vehicles are superior in every way to petrol vehicles with the exception of one area (the energy density of the fuel, which I'll grant mitigates many of the advantages). Better acceleration (power delivery) and better handling (lower center of gravity) are two of the principal areas were electric vehicles have a major advantage, and yes, a 500 hp, 4,000 lb PHEV EVO would out accelerate and out handle a 545 hp, 3,800 lb V6 GT-R Track Edition.

Yes, it's questionable whether Mitsubishi would be releasing a 500 hp PHEV EVO stateside (I acknowledged that earlier), and if they did, it might not hit the < $45,000 price point. The most likely scenario, in my opinion, is that they would release the 500 hp as an MR with a > $50,000 price point, and the GSR would be released at $40,000 to $45,000 with only 400 hp or so, which would make it at the very least competitive with a 2008 GT-R (a $40,000 buy according to you).

As far as the subsidies go, I'm not sure why I am "grasping at straws." The eligibility has nothing to do with who manufactures the vehicle but rather whether the vehicle meets the required criteria. A ~ $450 per kWh of battery capacity is what is currently being offered, and the current sizing for Mitsubishi's PHEVs is 12 kWh. Simple math, really. So a $40,000-$45,000 EVO would end up costing most buyers in the $30ks. A $45,000-$50,000 EVO would cost in the upper $30k to low $40k range. And again, a car that costs $50-$100 a month for daily driving/commutes versus your $40,000 used 2008 GT-R that gets what kind of gas mileage again?

And in terms of trollishness, I am the one providing facts and cogent points while you are throwing up straw men, red herrings, and red GT-R Track Editions. If you disagree with some of my predictions, that's fine, but stating (as if you were an authority) that easily referenced facts that I am providing are wrong is doing nothing but spreading misinformation. If my verbiage is unclear to the point that you are unable to discern the difference between the established facts that I am providing and my predictions about potential outcomes, I'm happy to delineate them for you.

AndyCT9W Aug 2, 2013 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Methodical4u (Post 10908263)
To compete with Ford, Chevy, etc, all upping their power outputs, it would have to be at least 350 hp, so 375 and MAYBE 400 I could see. 500 is just ridiculous for anyone to actually believe.

I don't think you get what the claim about the new evo is. The exact same thing could have been said about the Nissan Skyline GTR and the Nissan GTR. I believe this is what Mitsubishi are doing. Not upgrading the current Evo, but developing a new model that has essences of models past.

Methodical4u Aug 2, 2013 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W (Post 10909071)
I don't think you get what the claim about the new evo is. The exact same thing could have been said about the Nissan Skyline GTR and the Nissan GTR. I believe this is what Mitsubishi are doing. Not upgrading the current Evo, but developing a new model that has essences of models past.

What do you mean "I don't get the claim"? It's simple, they are claiming up to 500 hp. I'm telling you it's not going to happen. I don't care if they add electric motors or an acme rocket on the back. Mitsu has not done all that great with their sales for a while and adding a 500 hp Evo would cost at a minimum likely 65-70k. Sales would drop even more. Mitsu would have to add better paint, a MUCH better interior with MUCH MUCH better materials and all of that stuff adds up. If they do that, they will lose everything the car has been about and they will also wind up out of business.

AndyCT9W Aug 3, 2013 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Methodical4u (Post 10909139)
What do you mean "I don't get the claim"? It's simple, they are claiming up to 500 hp. I'm telling you it's not going to happen. I don't care if they add electric motors or an acme rocket on the back. Mitsu has not done all that great with their sales for a while and adding a 500 hp Evo would cost at a minimum likely 65-70k. Sales would drop even more. Mitsu would have to add better paint, a MUCH better interior with MUCH MUCH better materials and all of that stuff adds up. If they do that, they will lose everything the car has been about and they will also wind up out of business.

Your earlier posts doubt that the evo will increase power by around 60%. Why not? As for the doubt around mitsubishis ability to add the required quality to produce such a vehicle, again why not? Nissan can. The only issue I would be worried about is the use of new technology (high performance hybrid) but given that the evo hasn't advanced greatly since 2007, I'm sure Mitsubishi have had plenty of time to get it right.