EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   EVO VIII Dyno Results (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/16115-evo-viii-dyno-results.html)

boiwunder Mar 11, 2003 09:20 PM

here is a link to the actual plots

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=16200

-kris

gtr Mar 11, 2003 09:25 PM

AMS this is indeed interesting. This evo is ran under better gas correct? I've hear chicago 93octane is not the same as in Michigan. Anyways thanks for the info and let us know on stock WRX #'s to make some comparasons {thumbup}

ahh can't see the plot :cool:

Oops gotta use the new explorer :)

Sweft Mar 11, 2003 09:31 PM

I second that, let us know what stock WRX's make on the same dyno that way you can compare results using 93 octane gas..

Longfury Mar 11, 2003 09:34 PM

that was quicker than expected

DSMBRETT Mar 11, 2003 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Longfury
atleast they have to balls to actually post dyno plots...they may not be here yet buthe said soon...where r the plots from the other guy
We're the other guys, I guess. So far, we've dyno'd 4 different EVOs. Shiv is in the dyno room right now testing one of them. Two more should be tested within the next week. All under nearly identical conditions. We'll be posting dyno results as soon as we're done collecting a good sample pool and testing on both 91 octane and 93 octane gas. Full info is better than partial info, IMHO. But, unfortunately, it takes longer....

Best Regards,
Brett
Vishnu Performance Systems

Longfury Mar 11, 2003 09:57 PM

if u were not ready to release info u should not have started a thread talking about dynoing it till u were ready to post #'s

K:()!!y Mar 11, 2003 10:51 PM

i don't mind getting it piecemeal. just pretend like you're the one actually doing the work. your curiousity remains piqued until the experiment is over.

patience...

thanks for all the dynoing, guys...despite the varying results, it is interesting, if nothing else.

-K

Ben Mar 11, 2003 11:08 PM

Shiv said last week that they were going to be dynoing the car this week. If they didn't follow up you guys would all be complaining about how they didn't dyno it. Well they dyno'd it, but the numbers didn't live up to their expectations. So they post that and say they want some more time to get a better, more accurate pool of numbers before they release the info. I don't see any problem with that. IMO it's much better than this 2wd conversion dyno which doesn't really mean anything except for tuning to see what makes the most power. It doesn't tell you how the car actually performs because about half of the drivetrain has been taken out of the equation. It's a little more difficult to convert a WRX to FWD so don't expect any comparison numbers either.

Sweft Mar 11, 2003 11:27 PM

What it tells you is that one of them are wrong.

This dyno graph shows stock max hp reading at 6500~ RPM
Shivs dyno graph shows peak hp rating at 5500~ RPM (he said that)

One is wrong, and i would conclude the one with 91 octane rather than the one with 93 octane is the one.

DSMBRETT Mar 12, 2003 03:05 AM

Just curious as to why the 91 Octane results( 4 different cars) is wrong and the 1 other result(93 Octane and 2wd mode) is correct? We have released results on these cars.....180 whp. That is a little lower than we expected and is approx 20 wheel horsepower shy of what we think the US spec Evo should make. The fact that a stock Evo VII made 212-215 whp on our dyno on 91 Octane (and was pinging) and then made 230 whp on 93 octane could mean that the US car is missing some horsepower? If everyone agrees that a JDM Evo is making around 300 horsepower on 93 Octane, then 50 whp below that is not 271 hp. Some numbers to consider on our Dyno Dynamics Dyno:

Stock Audi S4 250 hp= 180 wheel hp
Stock WRX 227 hp= 160 wheel hp
Stock 97 GSX 210 hp= 144 wheel hp

Brett Payne

ru4real Mar 12, 2003 07:34 AM

Sweft's point is that your dynos show a power peak at 5500rpm. That is 1000rpm below :mitsu:'s claim. The lower Octane gas could be limiting the high end power.
Your dynos at 91 Octane are suspect for that reason, while the dyno at 93 Octane 2WD can't be compared to yours and is only usable for tuning.

Do your dynos with 93 Octane gas and see how the peak power shifts.

TearItUpSports Mar 12, 2003 07:58 AM

Originally posted by ru4real
Sweft's point is that your dynos show a power peak at 5500rpm. That is 1000rpm below :mitsu:'s claim. The lower Octane gas could be limiting the high end power.
Your dynos at 91 Octane are suspect for that reason, while the dyno at 93 Octane 2WD can't be compared to yours and is only usable for tuning.

Do your dynos with 93 Octane gas and see how the peak power shifts.

Just deal with the fact that the result is 180 hp. It really doesn't matter. Just look at the equivelent S4 and think about how much money you saved over it, and you got a much better handling car to boot.

I don't beleive Vishnu, AMS, or anyone else here has any doubt that this car is a beast, or that it can be modified to insane levels of hp. Just that the factory setup, where due to emiisions, ECU, timing retard, low octane, is low.
I mean jeez. Both shops have already extracted insane hp increases with just some tweaking here and there, and they haven't even gotten into boost settings or other quite normal mods.

If anyone thinks because the hp is a little lower than normal you shouldnt buy the car, then don't. Go buy an STI, or whatever else floats your boat. You are already missing the point and purpose of this car anyway.

gtr Mar 12, 2003 08:09 AM

Originally posted by DSMBRETT
Just curious as to why the 91 Octane results( 4 different cars) is wrong and the 1 other result(93 Octane and 2wd mode) is correct? We have released results on these cars.....180 whp. That is a little lower than we expected and is approx 20 wheel horsepower shy of what we think the US spec Evo should make. The fact that a stock Evo VII made 212-215 whp on our dyno on 91 Octane (and was pinging) and then made 230 whp on 93 octane could mean that the US car is missing some horsepower? If everyone agrees that a JDM Evo is making around 300 horsepower on 93 Octane, then 50 whp below that is not 271 hp. Some numbers to consider on our Dyno Dynamics Dyno:

Stock Audi S4 250 hp= 180 wheel hp
Stock WRX 227 hp= 160 wheel hp
Stock 97 GSX 210 hp= 144 wheel hp

Brett Payne

Show us the chart and we could see if the car is restrictive. 5k peak hp and a 7k redlind sounds like a restriciton to me. Either fuel map & timing and/or exhaust restriciton. Let us know.

ru4real Mar 12, 2003 08:45 AM

Originally posted by TearItUpSports

Just deal with the fact that the result is 180 hp. It really doesn't matter. Just look at the equivelent S4 and think about how much money you saved over it, and you got a much better handling car to boot.

I don't beleive Vishnu, AMS, or anyone else here has any doubt that this car is a beast, or that it can be modified to insane levels of hp. Just that the factory setup, where due to emiisions, ECU, timing retard, low octane, is low.
I mean jeez. Both shops have already extracted insane hp increases with just some tweaking here and there, and they haven't even gotten into boost settings or other quite normal mods.

If anyone thinks because the hp is a little lower than normal you shouldnt buy the car, then don't. Go buy an STI, or whatever else floats your boat. You are already missing the point and purpose of this car anyway.

You should chill. Don't put words in my mouth.
I wasn't complaining that the Evo doesn't have enough power.
I was merely explaining Sweft's post to DSMBRETT because he obviously didn't understand Sweft's main point. The peak hp was at 5500rpm instead of 6500rpm. To people that understand how to read dyno charts, that should be a red flag that something is wrong. Even if a car's peak numbers are overestimated, the peaks should occur where the manufacturer claims. I'm just guessing it was the octane level of the gas they used. It should be a simple thing (outside of CA) to dyno it with 93 octane and see how it changes the results.

boiwunder Mar 12, 2003 10:46 AM

I have just worked it out with another local shop that does have an AWD dyno to get us on it as soon as we complete our current round of product testing which should hopefully be within a week. I myself am interested in seeing the results, the basic plan is to dyno the car, return it to AWD and drive over to the AWD dyno to see "heads up" how our dyno numbers are going to compare with those on a dynapack under similar conditions.

It should prove to be interesting, even though I'm sure that our numbers will be comparable to those that Shiv has gotten.

-kris