Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Our EVO VII on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our EVO VII on the dyno

So we converted our evo to FWD for dyno use as we don't have an AWD dyno, and boy were we impressed. I have heard of others getting marginal numbers, I guess we just got a factory freak.

Here is the stock results.

and then after a little "tweaking"

-kris
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:27 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plots are not showing up

How was it tweaked?

Last edited by gtr; Mar 11, 2003 at 09:30 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:34 PM

ttt

Last edited by Sweft; Mar 11, 2003 at 09:38 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:39 PM

evo vii or usdm evo viii?

So i guess it is USDM as it is linked by the other thread..

Anyway

This HP seems to peak at 6500 and Shiv's peaked at 5500 or so he claims.
So is it safe to assume that the cpu adjusted accordingly to the 91 octange gas?

Change the title?

Last edited by Sweft; Mar 11, 2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

usdm evo viii converted to FWD for dynojet purposes
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:42 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

it's an evo 8
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

it's an VIII USDM converted to FWD as mentioned.

-kris
Old Mar 12, 2003, 03:41 AM

The numbers that you have on your Evo VIII are suspect. First off you are using the wrong dyno for the car. If you convert your car to FWD, which doesn't make sense in the first place, the numbers are skewed.

I don't know where you are getting you tuning knowledge from, but it doesn't look good for you and the car. No flame, just keeping it real.

Bottom line: You use a AWD dyno for a AWD car. Don't believe me, call Shiv or Cobb Tuning, or better yet APS and see what they think.

For you others who have bought and EVO VIII do not convert your car to FWD. If something goes wrong, Mitsubishi is not as understanding when it comes to mods. =Warranty Voided.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by enthusiast

I don't know where you are getting you tuning knowledge from, but it doesn't look good for you and the car. No flame, just keeping it real.

Bottom line: You use a AWD dyno for a AWD car. Don't believe me, call Shiv or Cobb Tuning, or better yet APS and see what they think.

For you others who have bought and EVO VIII do not convert your car to FWD. If something goes wrong, Mitsubishi is not as understanding when it comes to mods. =Warranty Voided.
No offense (okay maybe some), but you are talking somewhat out your a$$ here.

#1 this car is an R&D car. Do you really think a pro performance shop has any need for a warranty? These guys are far more capable at fixing something than almost any Mitsubishi dealership.
I would guess that they are waiting for something to break, so they have a good excuse to make it better.

#2 Do your research. This company has at least one sub 11 second street drag car, and they do know a thing or two about the 4G63 engine. I guarantee they have more hands on time than Vishnu with a Mitsubishi and definitly right now have faster proven times at the track too.

#3 There is nothing wrong with converting to FWD to do a dyno. In case this hasn't been figured out, Dyno numbers don't matter, especially when comparing them. The only thing that matters is all dyno runs for performance gains are done on the same dyno. Using a 2 wheel dyno makes not a bit of difference when it comes to capability of tuning an engine. Who gives a *%& if the number is a little higher than what your g-tech says. It really doesnt matter.
This number isn't used to show the size of your ***** on the forums or for any other bragging rights. Its just a baseline so they can see how much improvment by percent. We don't have supras where we just measure our car by a dyno number.

#4 hmm let me think of a shop that also uses a 2 wheel dyno for their testing. Oh yes Extreme motor sports. Lets see, they only have a 8.xx and a 9.1x car. Too bad they didn't know to use an AWD dyno for an AWD car. They could have done even better perhaps.

Ok so Im in rant mode, but thats ok here and there.
Have a great day everyone.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 09:35 AM

whoa

talk about getting pu tin your place.....
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

As tearitupsports said we are just using this as a baseline test, and so long as we keep all of our conditions consistant throughout testing we will be able to provide the customer with products that we know work.

-kris
Old Mar 13, 2003, 03:40 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

originally posted by enthusiast

"The numbers that you have on your Evo VIII are suspect. First off you are using the wrong dyno for the car. If you convert your car to FWD, which doesn't make sense in the first place, the numbers are skewed."

Wrong dyno for the car? A dyno is a tool to measure horsepower & torque, are we not doing that? The only difference is that we are only taking into account 2 driven wheels instead of 4. Of course using common sense this means less power will be getting to the ground when going through all 4 wheels. If you really want accurate numbers then the motor should be put on an engine dyno, because in the end a 2wd or 4wd dyno still just shows a number that is an educated guess of the crank hp. Every different brand of dynamometer shows different numbers, but in the end it's how fast a car gets down the track that reflects how much power it's making.

"I don't know where you are getting you tuning knowledge from, but it doesn't look good for you and the car. No flame, just keeping it real."

On what assumption are you judging my tuning knowledge, do you have any idea what I do?. Thanks so much for keeping 'it' real though. Is this 'real' enough for you?

http://www.automotosports.com/videos/amsgvr4_10.91.mpeg
fastest Galant VR-4 in the country. Daily driven to and from events.

how about this?

http://www.strongwelding.com/~jscher...vernon_1045.av

or I can show you pages of 500+whp 4G63's (and numerous 11 sec passes)

"Bottom line: You use a AWD dyno for a AWD car. Don't believe me, call Shiv or Cobb Tuning, or better yet APS and see what they think."

So you're saying the only way to tune an AWD car is on a AWD dyno, WTF are car companies thinking when they develop ECU strategies in a engine dyno test cell then? wow, we must enlighten them!! "

Regards,

Martin

PS BTW we made 309whp (50whp peak gain) and put more area under the power curve with simple inexpensive mods. Car still looks and sounds stock. Given the many converted AWD DSM's we've dynoed and their track records, this EVO VIII should go high 12's at 105-106mph in the 1/4.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

sounds good to me
Old Mar 24, 2003, 05:19 PM

any chance of someone getting the picture of the dyno plot to show up again?
Old Mar 24, 2003, 05:36 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good thread, but i think converting an awd to fwd is misleading, the numbers that is. power loss from an awd drivetrain to the wheels is a lot compared to a fwd alone. so you might have high numbers but the actual wheel hp of an awd system can be less.

Quick Reply: Our EVO VII on the dyno