EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   autocross turbo? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/427264-autocross-turbo.html)

BluEvo210 Dec 26, 2010 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by discopotato03 (Post 8550421)
Personally I think no matter how well you spec a turbo to an engine the last word in transient response of the rotating group is annular contact ball bearings . You simply cannot reproduce the low friction characteristics of ball bearings with bushes because of the surface area and oil sheer drag bush/plate cartridges have - all else being equal .
In my opinion low friction bearings and light weight wheels , mainly the turbine , is the way to improve turbine response .

Ball bearing TD05 cartridges are an expensive option where the lighter than Inconel Titanium turbine is not so hard to arrange...

If my X doesn't already have a ball-bearing turbo, how expensive would it be to get the ball-bearing cartridge installed?

From the specs I do know on the stock turbo (TD05HR-152G6-12T) the turbine inlet area (12 square cm) is the biggest of any Evo, ever. If I understand correctly, the larger area is more permissive of high-rpm power, but also makes the turbo slower to spool.

So, I started thinking about how I might mix and match turbo parts to get quicker response, and I know my exhaust flange is the reverse of that for a Tommi Makinen turbo. Then, it occured to me to see what size turbo a Ralliart uses. The specs I've found for that indicate a turbine inlet of 7cm^2 (really damn small). Anyone found any other solutions?

I've tried to find specs for the BBK Lite, and I can't find enough to compare it to other turbos. I'm looking for specific stuff like inducer and exducer size of the compressor and turbine, and I don't think BBK has published that. Info like trim and aspect ratio is welcome. Since BBK Lite starts as a stock turbo, are the aspect ratios the same as stock? I assume trim is different, at least for the compressor.

EVO8LTW Dec 26, 2010 05:47 AM

If you want a BB stock frame turbo on a X or 8/9 tbere is the new HKS turbo. I'm planning to downsize this winter am having some trouble deciding which route to go. The HTA Greenis the biggest I would consider though. Didn't Daddio and Hoops both run a Green?

sparky Dec 26, 2010 07:15 AM

What sort of track use will your RS be seeing, EVO8LTW?

BluEvo210 Dec 26, 2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW (Post 8939312)
Didn't Daddio and Hoops both run a Green?

According to Grassroots Motorsports, Daddio ran a TME turbo. (Don't know if he changed since then.)
...unfortunately, not an option for my X. :(

ODUB Dec 26, 2010 10:00 AM

I don't get what you're complaining about with the X...unless you're racing on a miniature course designed for go karts, you should be fine. I seen, and raced against X's on tight courses and they do well...very well. your driving style might need to be adjusted to overcome what you view as a deficiency in the turbo because from what I've seen of the EVO X, even in stock form it's FAST. as well as that car rotates, you should be able to get on the power sooner and keep the revs higher to combat any lag issues on anything other than the tightest 180 degree turn. even on those (we've discussed this in another thread), you could just go out wide, and late apex the turn. use the cone in the middle as a clipping point, not the center of the turn. the only time I've had problems with my EVO IX lagging on an autocross course is when I did something wrong on corner entry.

JohnBradley Dec 26, 2010 10:25 AM

Careful MIVEC tuning on the X with the stock turbo can get boost WAY lower than a TME on a IX.

Boostfiend Dec 26, 2010 10:35 AM

Lol the 37R is far from an auto-x turbo. I would look at getting and FP white or even a 9.8 outside turbo. Hen on-top of that 2.3l and retune.

4B11AWD Dec 26, 2010 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by BluEvo210 (Post 8939530)
According to Grassroots Motorsports, Daddio ran a TME turbo. (Don't know if he changed since then.)
...unfortunately, not an option for my X. :(

That was before he hooked up with AMS. He placed 5th the year he was using the TME turbo. He won the National Championships using a FP turbo.

EVO8LTW Dec 26, 2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 8939370)
What sort of track use will your RS be seeing, EVO8LTW?

The reason I want to downsize is so that I can compete realistically in autocross events. The Black that I have right now would be great for any road course IMO.

CO_VR4 Dec 26, 2010 01:20 PM

Here's a brand new T.M.E. turbo with the Ti wheel and shaft if you're looking for better than stock spool and 100 extra HP -- also completely stock appearing:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...eel-turbo.html

RoMeIX Dec 26, 2010 01:29 PM

I think that if you are looking for stock like spool up but with extra power that the BBK Lite or BBK Full would be excellent choices.

CO_VR4 Dec 26, 2010 04:10 PM

The BBK Lite is a compressor wheel upgrade, good to 350-400 HP, depending on supporting mods and setup. It still does not reduce the rotating weight of the turbo. The T.M.E.'s substitution of titanium components reduces rotating weight by 1/3, which is why it has better than stock spool PLUS a much higher HP upside.

sparky Dec 26, 2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by CO_VR4 (Post 8939859)
Here's a brand new T.M.E. turbo with the Ti wheel and shaft if you're looking for better than stock spool and 100 extra HP...

Maybe 10 extra ponies(gross) at best.... but never 100. We are talking the stock compressor side on a TME 10.5 turbo. Thus, it can only move the same amount of air, no more, than a stock, garden variety, 16G VIII turbo.

doc29 Dec 26, 2010 06:11 PM

hks...better than stock spool...extra 40 whp...fp white is great also...

AKAweasle Dec 26, 2010 07:25 PM

subscribed {thumbup} i've been looking for a good autox turbo