EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   BR presents the new FP BLACK HTA82! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/453740-br-presents-new-fp-black-hta82.html)

David Buschur Oct 20, 2009 03:21 PM

The dyno graphs I posted are the most accurately/comparible graphs I have. I've got a TON of runs from Chris's car but I do not keep notes on each run, what boost levels were, where the AFR's were etc. This did not start out to be a comparison, had I wanted to do a real comparison I'd have run the car on the red/black the same day. It's the best and only comparison I have.

I'm not being rude with that statement, it's just the best I have from two known runs to compare.

This turbo is the same as the Red with a larger compressor wheel. The compressor wheel is from the HTA82 which we make 620'ish WHP on race gas on our dyno on a good build like this one. Chris's car with the highest boost ever ran on it (40++), unknown AFR's and such did make about 510 at the shootout. If you want to use that run and compare it to the best from the Black we made about 550 on a 4th gear pull with 40.xx psi. So that's a 40 whp increase but again not back to back. I'd say a turbo that provides basically the same low/mid range and produces another 40 whp up top is a darn good option.

Can we all agree on that?

As soon as I get more cars in here to install and run the turbo on I will and I'll be sure to provide more feedback. Good, bad or indifferent.

As for Project White running this turbo, that is out of my hands. My good friend Kevin Lawson bought Project White from me.

darwin_evo Oct 20, 2009 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur (Post 7632664)
I think Boltz asked about the best numbers of this car being 494 previously to the 537 now, yes, I'd agree with that being a good comparison, same boost, same gear and 43 whp'ish gains. Consider the fact this is a compressor upgrade only and that's a damn good gain in power.

Now you have me lost. 1st post implied a 90whp gain going from the red to the black (and tuning for each), now you are saying that the car previously made 494whp and the proper way to compare the turbo's would be 537whp vs 494whp! so the fp black is worth 43whp over the red and not 90whp !?

Why weren't they compared this way right from the begining?

R/TErnie Oct 20, 2009 03:25 PM

Any comment on the Power after 7300-9000 Dave? I'd be interested to see what it looks like.

nikkadanny Oct 20, 2009 03:27 PM

nice work, i might have to drive to mckinney to get me one

David Buschur Oct 20, 2009 03:37 PM

I didn't run this car anywhere near 9,000 rpm. The highest it was run was 7800'ish.

Thomasevo Oct 20, 2009 03:39 PM

boy this post has a lot of peoples attention

R/TErnie Oct 20, 2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur (Post 7633293)
I didn't run this car anywhere near 9,000 rpm. The highest it was run was 7800'ish.

I ask because I bet the Red and Black's Horsepower Curves meet back up at 8.5k or so.

What did FP do to the turbine housing besides cut it for the bigger wheel? Any ohter internal modificaitons?

Saleentones Oct 20, 2009 03:46 PM

I'm in for one!

jxs1984 Oct 20, 2009 03:50 PM

impressive!

sdfontanini Oct 20, 2009 03:56 PM

anyone planning on putting this on their stock bottom end are morons. Yeah it will work, but for how long? While you're at it, add a 100 shot... I just don't understand some people. You want a FP black, with a stock bottom end running 87 octane. So you want a turbo that's only using half it's potential ??? This turbo is designed to run high boost 35 psi +, lets see how many runs you make on your stock bottom end. Not dissin anyone that might not know better, but for those of you that are interested in building an Evo this isn't something I'd recommend unless you pockets are deep and are planning on just replacing the bottom end once it blows.

Evoluvin Oct 20, 2009 03:59 PM

WOOOW! Would love to see side by side red/black turbo comparisons and some on pump gas........ cant wait till more testing is released

David Buschur Oct 20, 2009 04:01 PM

I would run this turbo on a stock bottom end, I wouldn't run it at 40+ psi.

R/T, you may be right about the curves meeting up. The Red I generally see climb until the pull is over on a good combination. The Black did start to fall off as can be seen in the chart posted in this thread. In a few other sheets I've seen of the black from other cars the power fell off eventually up top too.

The initial numbers and spool up are exceptional and I am happy with the turbo. As with all products I am curious to see it on more combinations.

evo003 Oct 20, 2009 04:07 PM

David, thanks for the info and I'm sure it will help some people make up their minds as to what to buy, but for the majority of us the data is pretty useless as most will not have a fully built motor. Looking forward to some #'s from some real world applications

David24 Oct 20, 2009 04:09 PM

So Dave, I really want your intake manifold and I just sold my Red to get the Black. Would you say it'd work well with this turbo?

Also Aniel from FP told me that there will be no upgrade option, just new units will be sold. True of false???

project_skyline Oct 20, 2009 04:32 PM

Why does everyone want pump gas numbers before making decisions?

If it performs this way on e85 it will show the same results on pump gas... Its not like one was on pump and the other e85.

The black will outperform the red regardless of fuel type, the low end losses are barely noticeable. This turbo is money.