EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Busher's 3” downpipe fitment (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/455455-bushers-3n-downpipe-fitment.html)

boostedwrx Dec 26, 2009 03:38 PM

I had an Ultimate Racing downpipe for my 03 Evo that had the same type of flat flange. It worked fine, I just put some orange silicon around it and bolted it up. Seemed to work OK.

I don't really like the flat flange for use with the donut type flange, but if one were to use a flat flange downpipe with a flat flange O2 housing such as the Shearer dump it would work perfectly.

SaTa Dec 29, 2009 08:52 AM

Well i installed my TBE. even though im still a little nervous about not having any flex in the system. If all you guys have had no problem, then ill be fine. So far so good. my DP rattles on the first chassis bar even with the spacers in. Will have to throw some washers in to move it down some. Love it, another quality product from BR.

Evoardo IX Jan 18, 2010 07:13 PM

I feel obligated to bump this thread with some info. I installed a buschur TBE, followed the advise given here to reuse the spring bolts for the DP, and it all went well except I had a rattle, I went under to check and found out that the OEM bolts for the O2 won't work with the BR downpipe, at least not on my car (JDM RS). It was loose, it would leak (my ralliart aluminum panel on the hood vent is yellowish, as if it's been in direct contact with heat/fumes) so I wen't ahead and used some studs with threads on both sides, and attached the DP with a couple of nuts, pics to follow.
I might have to go back and install a gasket, because I am certain that it is leaking, but at least the rattle is gone now. To sum it up, BR TBE needs a gasket (not provided) and some sort of solution to install the DP to O2 housing, because the oem bolts won't hold it tight.

https://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5264/dsc00422wtu.jpg

https://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7867/dsc00423hp.jpg

https://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6533/dsc00424oz.jpg

BluEVOIX Jan 18, 2010 07:46 PM

You should not use OEM bolts.

You have to use a separate bolt M10 1.25mm bolt. Buschur supplies this but in case you bought it used make sure you get one long enough at least 40mm length. Also you have 2 choices with the gasket.

1. Use RTV copper silicone gasket maker.

2. Use round gasket from the picture I used (mazda rx8 gasket) or buy a sheet of gasket maker and cut out a circular peice.

I just installed the buschur downpipe. (this is my 2nd) and used the the Mazda RX8 ex mani to catalytic gasket.

Zero leaks excellent fitment.

Evoardo IX Jan 18, 2010 07:53 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will follow it for he gasket ( you think it's leaking without gasket? I think it is...) the thing is I asked here (read the first page) and I was told to reuse the stock bolts, I can't believe my DP didn't fall off (it was holding by 2 threads...) I got the TBE new, but don't recall seeing any bolts for the DP.
On another note, I got the JDM rear TBE, where the bullet goes right where the cat should be, and the end should be just a pipe with the chrome tip right? well I got some sort of extra bullet/silencer at the end right before the chrome tip, any idea why?

BluEVOIX Jan 18, 2010 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX (Post 7900448)
Thanks for the advice, I will follow it for he gasket ( you think it's leaking without gasket? I think it is...) the thing is I asked here (read the first page) and I was told to reuse the stock bolts, I can't believe my DP didn't fall off (it was holding by 2 threads...) I got the TBE new, but don't recall seeing any bolts for the DP.
On another note, I got the JDM rear TBE, where the bullet goes right where the cat should be, and the end should be just a pipe with the chrome tip right? well I got some sort of extra bullet/silencer at the end right before the chrome tip, any idea why?

Regarding stock spring/bolts:

The stock bolts have that bulge that wont allow it to slide completely through the downpipe flange. Thats why only a thread or two was able to reach.

Notice that bult part right where the spring ends.
http://www.jonesland.com/evo/Images/...npipe_Bolt.jpg

The two surfaces of the o2 housing and downpipe flange are not machined smooth. So it will most likely leak if not during idle then during driving/boost, unless some sort of gasket is applied or installed.

As for the second bullet/silencer you speak of, does it look like this?
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...ler121cart.JPG

That is the buschur SD muffler. Its like a resonator muffler to help quiet it down a little more. So your basically running the bullet muffler in the center of the car and the SD in the rear. And dont worry your not making any less power with that. Both mufflers are perforated cores with no baffles or louvered parts to hurt flow.

Evoardo IX Jan 18, 2010 11:03 PM

Yeah I figured the bulge in the oem spring was stoping it from going further. That's the pipe I got with my system, I am glad to know that it's not hurting performance, and it actually sounds really good (the whole BR TBE) thanks for helping me out, I will definatelly install a gasket between the O2 and DP.

yellowevo82 Jan 18, 2010 11:20 PM

i have run no gasket on my buschur downpipe for years.. not needed!

Evoardo IX Jan 18, 2010 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by yellowevo82 (Post 7900926)
i have run no gasket on my buschur downpipe for years.. not needed!

Well you are a lucky fellow then. Me, not so much, since I already saw the leak is turning my ralliart hood panel kind of brown/yellow and that thing won't come off :crap: I know it wasn't there before, so there is a leak.

SaTa Jan 19, 2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX (Post 7900940)
Well you are a lucky fellow then. Me, not so much, since I already saw the leak is turning my ralliart hood panel kind of brown/yellow and that thing won't come off :crap: I know it wasn't there before, so there is a leak.

Sorry to hear that. It would be nice to at least send a one page instructions sheet with the exhaust or even a parts list when they ship. So we know ahead of time that DP bolts are included. Maybe we can take parts from this thread and include it in the "how to" section.

I had the same questions as you, but Nick was nice enough to explain it all to me. I dont run a gasket and I dont have a leak. as suggested above some silicone will do the trick or use the mazda gasket. the donut has to come off as the bottom of the O2 sits inside of the downpipe. use the bolts supplied and slowly tighten one corner at a time to get it even. Hope this helps, good luck and enjoy once you have it sorted.

Jrod@Buschur Jan 19, 2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX (Post 7900940)

If your hood vent is turning yellow I would be curious as to why because a slight exhaust leak should not do that. My guess is there is a another cause for it.

We have what im sure to be well over a 1000 downpipes/catback/full systems out there and this has never been a problem. If there is a leak its very minimal I can assure you. The lip of the 02 housing goes right into our downpipe so the majority of the exhaust gases blow straight down through the downpipe. At best case... I would say the only signs of a leak would be a little bit of black around the exhaust flange.

Its a machine type fitment so its flat metal to flat metal.

Whoever told you to use the spring bolts in the first place is 110% incorrect. We supply all the hardware needed for our downpipe/catback/turboback exhaust when it ships from here.

Originally Posted by SaTa (Post 7901478)
slowly tighten one corner at a time to get it even.

{thumbup}

Thats also providing the flange isnt bent already from the prior attempted installations.

Evoardo IX Jan 19, 2010 07:51 AM

Thanks for the tips Jarrod, I am actually 100% satisfied with the TBE, like I said earlier I'm sure I did get the bolts for the DP but since a member here told me to use stock ones I didn't care for the ones supplied (my mistake) and then about the leak, you are right, it should not be that bad, so do you have any idea as to why it is turning yellow around that part only? I can't take pics since the car is in stororage :(

Evoardo IX Jan 19, 2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by charon2123 (Post 7663052)
Yep, just reuse the spring bolts.

He told me to reuse spring bolts :mad: lol j/k it's all good bro {thumbup}

Boosted Tuning Jan 19, 2010 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX (Post 7662829)
sorry to kind of hijack your thread but I have a somewhat related question: how about the hardware? i.e what bolts do we use when installing a BR DP? the oem spring kind?

Originally Posted by charon2123 (Post 7663052)
Yep, just reuse the spring bolts.

BR supplies bolts. Do not use the OEM spring bolts.

TGZ Oct 24, 2010 11:40 AM

Does the Buschur turboback come with no gaskets at all? I just opened mine up today to install it and didn't see any. I understand that they say no gasket is needed at the downpipe, but what about the rest of the flanges? Do you not need to use a gasket anywhere?