EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   PST CF 1pc drive shaft installed - 700hp/510tq (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/705762-pst-cf-1pc-drive-shaft-installed-700hp-510tq.html)

TheBoz Jan 5, 2015 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by chamelieon (Post 11370720)
Any way to add this CF drive shaft without cutting part of the chassis like possibly lowering the rear diff a bit to clear better?

The clearance issues is closer to transfer case. So you would need to lower whole engine. For me I am pretty sure that lowering the rear diff was not needed, but that might have given me a little extra clearance.

I have about 100 miles on the car now, and I really enjoy the new drive shaft. It makes driving on a 8 leg QM Twin much smoother. So the car is a lot more fun to drive now. I am going to try to hit Streets of Willow or Big Willow during Jan, and I will hit the drag strip in Feb.

ryukinevo Jan 24, 2015 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by TheBoz (Post 11370741)
The clearance issues is closer to transfer case. So you would need to lower whole engine. For me I am pretty sure that lowering the rear diff was not needed, but that might have given me a little extra clearance.

I have about 100 miles on the car now, and I really enjoy the new drive shaft. It makes driving on a 8 leg QM Twin much smoother. So the car is a lot more fun to drive now. I am going to try to hit Streets of Willow or Big Willow during Jan, and I will hit the drag strip in Feb.

Great Review to both you and evodan2004 . This is probably an obvious question, but is it an investment in your car.

How easy would it be to reweld the mounts for the stock drive shaft in case you wanted to return it back to stock?

Thanks!

TheBoz Jan 24, 2015 10:40 AM

For me there is not a plan to go back. I was full commit on this project.

If you remove the spot welds then you could reweld the hangers back is pretty easy. The is so much slop in the oem shaft that it does not need to be in there dead nuts. So easy to revert if you can weld.

TheBoz Jan 24, 2015 10:44 AM

As for the investment question these cars are BOATs(break out another thousand). So if you think there is any roi you are crazy.

I have about 500miles on the shaft now and I am super happy with it.

Nimpoc Jan 24, 2015 12:47 PM

Thanks for the review! Was there any reduction in drivetrain lash? Specifically at 3k+ tipping in and out of neutral throttle did the driveshaft reduce 'slop' in the drivetrain?

Gotta agree with 03whtgsr that you cut out some good stuff from the tunnel. Might want to consider making a tunnel brace which could also act as a driveshaft hoop (not that CF shafts really need them - BANG!).

EvoDan2004 Jan 24, 2015 01:03 PM

I ditched the entire tunnel bracket. I have not noticed any issue. I do however have a cage.

marck_c Jan 24, 2015 01:40 PM

What's the approximate length of that shaft?

mitsubeastlee Jan 24, 2015 02:44 PM

Does the driveshaft bottom out in the transfer case? I installed the AWDspec 2 piece DS and it doesnt bottom out in the transfer case, I have also noticed a spinning metallic sound that is always present if the cars rolling even when not in gear. I m curious as to if this is normal with a NON OEM driveshaft?

AreSTG Jan 25, 2015 10:22 AM

let us know what top speed you hit with that thing. It's so looong, I am really curious about the 180+ mph range...

TheBoz Jan 25, 2015 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee (Post 11381759)
Does the driveshaft bottom out in the transfer case? I installed the AWDspec 2 piece DS and it doesnt bottom out in the transfer case, I have also noticed a spinning metallic sound that is always present if the cars rolling even when not in gear. I m curious as to if this is normal with a NON OEM driveshaft?

It should not bottom out. It needs the slack for the engine movement. Next time the car is in the air I will take a pic.

TheBoz Jan 25, 2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by AreSTG (Post 11381989)
let us know what top speed you hit with that thing. It's so looong, I am really curious about the 180+ mph range...

April is the next time California speed way is open, but I am guessing that I will top out about 155-160mph. My balls are not 180+mph big yet. Also no cage in the car, or roll bar.

mitsubeastlee Jan 26, 2015 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheBoz (Post 11382094)
It should not bottom out. It needs the slack for the engine movement. Next time the car is in the air I will take a pic.

Thank you, yeah I have driven about 25 miles on her, besides the ever so slightly "ting ting ting ting" while moving which could just be extra driveshaft sound im not used to, it seems fine. Its not leaking so I know the DS is seated enough, I just thought maybe it was modified slightly too short but I guess that normal play.

Im also gonna take a look under the car to see if the DS is hitting anything.

jacked cobra Jan 26, 2015 07:38 PM

At what power level is this needed?

EvoDan2004 Jan 27, 2015 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by jacked cobra (Post 11383024)
At what power level is this needed?

Right around 272hp

TheBoz Jan 27, 2015 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by evodan2004 (Post 11383135)
Right around 272hp

I found 273hp to be the sweet spot. ;)

This is a mod you could do at any HP level. It is never required, it is just one of those things you do because you want to make the car smoother. I have been running the car in daily mode driving is LA traffic the last few weeks here and everything has been going really smooth. I have noticed a small leak from my transfercase, at the output seal. So I am going to replace it and see what happens. Time to do fluids again anyhow.