EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Road & Track EVO 8 test numbers (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/13284-road-track-evo-8-test-numbers.html)

gtr Feb 3, 2003 10:00 PM

You can slip it but if after you start you'll realize it's pumped up to 3.5-4K before doing it. I dont think <1.8 60ft is possible unless you go 5-6K.

Longfury Feb 3, 2003 10:03 PM

how many 6k launches can the evo clutch take?...or any clutch in an AWD car

leonard_shelby Feb 3, 2003 10:06 PM

GTR your prolly right about the 3.5 - 4k on the launch thing ... but it still seems a world away from 'dropping' the clutch at 6K ...

seems like it would really tear the ass outta your poor AWD / clutch... hehe :lol:

Turboniam Feb 3, 2003 10:15 PM

Originally posted by gtr
You can slip it but if after you start you'll realize it's pumped up to 3.5-4K before doing it. I dont think <1.8 60ft is possible unless you go 5-6K.
GTR, sounds like you are familiar with the ole' AWD launch! {thumbup}

leonard_shelby, once you get beyond a stock clutch, you'll know what we are talking about when we say 6K is a "normal" rpm to launch at! {pick}

Turboniam Feb 3, 2003 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Longfury
how many 6k launches can the evo clutch take
Good question... from some of the info passed along by other members that read some other EVO boards, it would seem that there is a possibility that it may not be able to take many high rpm launches. {thumbdwn}

...or any clutch in an AWD car
That all depends on a few factors. One is the horsepower level of the car... my stock clutch held up until I started making some decent power... then all it did was slip!

Then after a few more upgrades I put in an "upgraded clutch" and it didn't have the strength to hold the power I was making... so I went to an even stronger clutch without going to a full race clutch or a puck disc and it, so far has held launches no problem.

ACT, makes clutches for DSMs, has a good reputation for building strong clutches that can hold power and take alot of abuse... fyi in case some of you guys need a clutch for your EVO's soon!!! {devil}

Turboniam Feb 4, 2003 03:07 AM

Originally posted by broeli
Maybe that was the run at LACR. Remember it ran a 13.8...but LACR has a crappy surface and is 2700 ft above sea level.
I left the R&T mag in the car, and I am not interested in going outside to get it at this time of night so... off the top of my head, I remember reading that elevation was about 150 above sea level...

ScoobyBoost Feb 4, 2003 03:21 AM

Yeah, ACT is alright. I have one of their clutch in the Supra and it's fantastic. It's funny how these tranny mods go...

Upgrade the power, clutch starts slipping. So you upgrade the clutch. Then no more slipping, but your tranny falls over. Then you have to look at a beefier tranny. You get the stronger tranny then your head gasket blows from the hard running (in a Supra anyhow). fun fun fun... ;)

Guack007 Feb 4, 2003 05:34 AM

Originally posted by trigeek37

all slaloms are not created equal...
you can't take numbers from one testing source (mag in this case) and compare them. different tracks, drivers, and conditions can cause a great deal of difference in performance numbers.

If I recall corectly SCC uses a 700ft slalom and R&T uses the same 600ft slalom C&D and MT use.

spoolin Feb 4, 2003 06:31 AM

Good point! The traction is definitly bad. I've seen people run 13.9@101mph in a 98 mustang cobra and it's hard to believe the cobra would run close times with an awd car. MPH is way up for 13.8 in an AWD car.

AutoXer Feb 4, 2003 09:42 AM

Can't you run nitrous in the lower RPM range to help with the launch. Sort of a boost before the BOOST.

MrAWD Feb 4, 2003 10:02 AM

Originally posted by leonard_shelby
Hmmm ... I'm not a pro by any means .. but what I've found to work the best for my GSX is rev to 3K and let the clutch out evenly and at the same pace mat the gas, its not really slipping the clutch too badly but gives a nice launch without bog :beer:

I've driven with some crazies that do the 6k clutch drop thing in an awd car, has never felt healthy to me.

No way that 3k RPM launch would give you good results, unless you want to be a bit faster then tractionless guys with FWD or RWD cars. If you want to really see the potential of the AWD car, you need to be above 5k RPMs.

I have a selectable switch for the launch RPMs and car bogs with the 4,500 RPMs selection. 5k was better, but 5,500 worked the best.

Have in mind that timing selection had a great effect on how the car is going to take off. If you don't have enough timing, bog will be more present, while higher timing advance will just go through that phase without any drawbacks (well, you might spin your tires a bit longer, tough :)).

Good launches for the AWD cars on the street tires are mostly in the 1.7s sec for the short times. Cars with more power (like 400+ HP at the wheels), can do 1.6s short times and with drag racing radials even 1.5s.

Regular stock clutch in the DSM would give a good short times in the 1.8 seconds. Anything worse than that is considered a bad launch!

Fedja

s4awd Feb 4, 2003 10:04 AM

can someone scan that article

MrAWD Feb 4, 2003 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Longfury
how many 6k launches can the evo clutch take?...or any clutch in an AWD car
I am using the ACT 2600 and that clutch can take quite some abuse. If your car is not making over 300 WHP, even 2100 lb version would do its work well enough! For those in the high HP levels, I think there might be even 3100 lb or so pressure plate available.

Since I do mostly a ProSolo typical event would have about 25 or so hard launches and my clutch can last almost two seasons with that kind of abuse. That would be around 100 consistently fast starts with the short times in the 1.7 sec range!!

There are bunch of other clutches meant for this as well, so I am sure that EVO will be supported well enough, especially since such a support already exist!!

Fedja

Turboniam Feb 4, 2003 11:49 AM

Originally posted by AutoXer
Can't you run nitrous in the lower RPM range to help with the launch. Sort of a boost before the BOOST.
:lol: Well, for this car and this turbo, N20 is entirely unecessary for spooling the turbo (as reported).

However you could run N20 on top of the turbo for quicker times, but for the money invested, you might as well buy permanent parts i.e. an upgraded turbo.

Also, the only time you actually need N20 for launching is if you are running HUGE ASS turbos like my buddies RACE/DRAG ONLY cars... the turbos are so huge that they can't spool them fast enough to get good times without using N20.

90GSX Feb 4, 2003 01:02 PM

Originally posted by spoolin
Good point! The traction is definitly bad. I've seen people run 13.9@101mph in a 98 mustang cobra and it's hard to believe the cobra would run close times with an awd car. MPH is way up for 13.8 in an AWD car.
Here's a good example. In my '90 Eclipse GSX I've run 13.9 @ 95mph with a 1.8 60' time on stock clutch and street tires. That's launching around 5k rpms if I remember right. So if the Evo is really capable of 101+mph then I bet low 13's are possible too.

-Loris