EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general-11/)
-   -   Road & Track EVO 8 test numbers (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/13284-road-track-evo-8-test-numbers.html)

trigeek37 Feb 4, 2003 01:12 PM

Re: Road & Track EVO 8 test numbers

Originally posted by dazz
Article from R&T magazine of the new USDM Evo 8:

0-60: 5.1 secs (6000 rpm clutch drop mind you)
1/4 mile: 13.8@101.5mph
Top speed: 155
skidpad: 0.97g
slalom: 68.7mph
curb weight: 3265lbs

1/4 mile times & MPH are consistent with power to weight ratio listed by :mitsu:!
I except improve E.T's with a better skilled driver.

I had a chance to go through some of my old Road & Tracks last night, and if these are actual test numbers, then screw the acceleration - the Evo is going to be an absolute world class handling car. Paging through the back of R&T and looking at the performance nubmers, there were very, very few (like 3 or 4) cars that could hang with the Evo in either skidpad or slalom - and fewer yet that could better both numbers - this is VERY encouraging. Granted, R&T isn't the gospel of automobile testing, but it's a damn good start!

gtr Feb 4, 2003 01:21 PM

Originally posted by s4awd
can someone scan that article
That's what i was thinking :confused:

It's already been a day people {blob}

erikgj Feb 4, 2003 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Longfury
how many 6k launches can the evo clutch take?...or any clutch in an AWD car
Six.

Erik

S_rangeBrew Feb 4, 2003 02:21 PM

Originally posted by MrAWD

I have a selectable switch for the launch RPMs and car bogs with the 4,500 RPMs selection. 5k was better, but 5,500 worked the best.

Fedja

5500 works best for me, too. I was bogging at 5000.
I still only get high 1.8x 60ft. times. (sometimes a low 1.9) so I still have room for improvement. Here are a couple of my ideas, tell me what you think.

1. Right now, I just drop the clutch. Maybe I should slip it a little?

2. My tires (cheapo Kumho Ectasas) are at full street pressure. Maybe I should deflate them a bit when I race?

Tell me what you think. I'd really like to get 1.7 60ft times.

Oh, I'm using a ACT2100 clutch and a FP T28 turbo.

-Brent

ru4real Feb 4, 2003 02:23 PM

Originally posted by erikgj

Six.

Erik

That's a good estimate, but I think the formula is:

# of launches = (Year of car) / (Flywheel horsepower)

As you can see, the number of launches is inversely proportional to horsepower. The newer your car is, the better.

:D

xcdan Feb 4, 2003 02:28 PM

I have two points to make.... first, look at yourselves!!!! If you are buying this car to drag race, you are buying the wrong car, go fallow Chicago mike to your nearest mustang dealer and buy the same car as every other Dumbass American who doesn’t have a clue what racing is all about. This car is not all about who can drive a 1/4 mile the fastest, its about who can find that road in the mountains and lay down some rubber around the bends. It is also about being an individual and driving something rare and different that the 100 mustangs you see when you step of the curb to cross the street.

Second, as far as the arguments about what magazine has what grandma driving what speed is all horse ****, if you have nothing better to do than argue about someone else’s day at the track that you weren't even there to see then you need to turn off your computer right now, and get the hell out of your house or office and take a few deep breaths. My two cents

:getting your balls re-attatched:

-Power on

Secret Chimp Feb 4, 2003 02:34 PM

right on xcdan! My sentiments exactly!

SC~ who stays away from the magazine racing

erikgj Feb 4, 2003 02:34 PM

Originally posted by ru4real

That's a good estimate, but I think the formula is:

# of launches = (Year of car) / (Flywheel horsepower)

As you can see, the number of launches is inversely proportional to horsepower. The newer your car is, the better.

:D

ru4real,

For an Evo VII, it is not an estimate.

# of launches = (Year of car) / [(Flywheel Torque) x (# of driving wheels)]

My dream is for ACT to come up with a ACT2600 type clutch for the Evo soon. I would like to match that with a Jun lightweight flywheel. The current clutch options for the Evo are not so good.

The AP Racing organic single plate is popular but is only rated for 320 Ft*lb torque. The next step is one of several expensive twin plate systems that all have drawbacks.

AP is coming out with a twin plate for the Evo similar to their STi 22B clutch it should have pretty good drivabilty, but it looks expensive.

So please some one make a good single plate clutch that will take some torque.

Erik

Turboniam Feb 4, 2003 02:44 PM

Originally posted by S_rangeBrew

5500 works best for me, too. I was bogging at 5000.
I still only get high 1.8x 60ft. times. (sometimes a low 1.9) so I still have room for improvement. Here are a couple of my ideas, tell me what you think.

1. Right now, I just drop the clutch. Maybe I should slip it a little?

2. My tires (cheapo Kumho Ectasas) are at full street pressure. Maybe I should deflate them a bit when I race?

Tell me what you think. I'd really like to get 1.7 60ft times.

Oh, I'm using a ACT2100 clutch and a FP T28 turbo.

-Brent

Try launching higher than 5500 AND slip the clutch "a little" at the same time! {thumbup} Don't "dump" the clutch ;)

Turboniam Feb 4, 2003 02:46 PM

Originally posted by xcdan
I have two points to make.... first, look at yourselves!!!! If you are buying this car to drag race, you are buying the wrong car, go fallow Chicago mike to your nearest mustang dealer and buy the same car as every other Dumbass American who doesn’t have a clue what racing is all about. This car is not all about who can drive a 1/4 mile the fastest, its about who can find that road in the mountains and lay down some rubber around the bends. It is also about being an individual and driving something rare and different that the 100 mustangs you see when you step of the curb to cross the street.
:lol: Who cares about being an "individual?" If 1 million people have the same taste as I do in cars, does that make me boring or dull... NO!! It means the 1 million people have good taste like me!!! :spit: If I want to drag race an AWD car, then I will and I don't need your "aproval" to do so! {thumbup} Your opinon on how the car should be used is just that, JUST AN OPINION!

Second, as far as the arguments about what magazine has what grandma driving what speed is all horse ****, if you have nothing better to do than argue about someone else’s day at the track that you weren't even there to see then you need to turn off your computer right now, and get the hell out of your house or office and take a few deep breaths.
I'm leaving my house/office/cell phone internet connection right now!!! :lol:

I think you need to calm down... the whole point of this board is for discussion and opinions... I am will state my opinion that C&D can't drive an AWD for shizzle because it is true!!! :spin:

xcdan Feb 4, 2003 02:55 PM

If this is an opinion board, then heres my opinion, you are retarded if you think that your going to buy an Evo and turn it into an extraordinary drag car. Everyone knows that there are atleast 25 cars that can do a better job there for cheaper.

:re-attatch your balls: again

-Power on

Fireball Feb 4, 2003 03:01 PM

Second, as far as the arguments about what magazine has what grandma driving what speed is all horse ****, if you have nothing better to do than argue about someone else’s day at the track that you weren't even there to see then you need to turn off your computer right now, and get the hell out of your house or office and take a few deep breaths. My two cents

:getting your balls re-attatched:

-Power on

Almost made me cry... good post! :)

broeli Feb 4, 2003 03:02 PM

I don't think people are interested in an Evo to make a drag car BUT what is wrong with being interested in straight line performance?! Last time I checked you are driving in a straight line most of the time. I'm interested in the COMPLETE package. A car that is relatively quick and handles, brakes great. Straight line performance is important whether you want to admit it or not. If I listened to some of you you'd be happy with a car that does 0-60 in 10 secs and the quarter in 19seconds...as long as it handled good. Go get a MP3 or something if your not concerned with the overall package which includes acceleration from a stop and from a roll.

Turboniam Feb 4, 2003 03:05 PM

If this is an opinion board, then heres my opinion, you are retarded if you think that your going to buy an Evo and turn it into an extraordinary drag car. Everyone knows that there are atleast 25 cars that can do a better job there for cheaper.
Miss Cleo, did you see me in the future turning an EVO into a drag car??? :spit:

How do you know what I am going to do with the EVO??? Thats right you DON'T!!! http://www.bullittzero.com/Vbb/images/smilies/Owned.gif

BTW, whatever I do with MY car is MY perogative that doesn't require your approval... If I want to take a Yugo and make it into an off-roading beast, thats my American right to do so! :usflag:

It gets so old hearing people complain about what others are going to do with their car... if you want to Auto-X/drag race/keep it stock/park it in your garage ... fine go do that!!! I don't care... unlike some other people :rolleyes:

However, I do remember replying to a thread some kid posted about what it would take to make an EVO a 10 second car... I told him that is would be a shame to chop it up and it would be better to buy a DSM in place of the EVO to mod... you remember that thread Miss Cleo?? :lol:

:re-attatch your balls: again

-Power on

My balls are fine, but thanks for asking! :lol:

-Yo Joe!

Turboniam Feb 4, 2003 03:08 PM

Originally posted by broeli
I don't think people are interested in an Evo to make a drag car BUT what is wrong with being interested in straight line performance?! Last time I checked you are driving in a straight line most of the time. I'm interested in the COMPLETE package. A car that is relatively quick and handles, brakes great. Straight line performance is important whether you want to admit it or not. If I listened to some of you you'd be happy with a car that does 0-60 in 10 secs and the quarter in 19seconds...as long as it handled good. Go get a MP3 or something if your not concerned with the overall package which includes acceleration from a stop and from a roll.
BLASPHEMY!!!!! 1/4 times are the devil {devil} you Amerian car loving, gas guzzling brute you! :lol: